It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catering to the minorities/groups is not good for the country.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 05:48 AM
link   
-comes out of the lurker shadows-
There is still so much discrimination against the disabled community, even with laws like the ADA. Just myself, I've frequently been yelled at by door greeters, kicked out of stores and restaurants. I've been turned down for every job I've ever applied to over the years.

In support groups for the disabled we frequently talk about how to hide our disability, or how long after a job interview or hiring do we bring up accommodations. Because we know in most cases if the interviewers know, we will not get hired.

Suicide seems to be epidemic among us now.

People say, "Oh, well. Family and community should be helping". But many times families shun and communities mock. I mean in even many topics on ATS I've seen people call people drawing disability "lazy", "undeserving", "free loaders" ect. Many are the same people who spout the "family and community should help" nonsense.

These laws aren't catering, they're letting us have the same rights and opportunities the majority has, because without them it's obvious the majority will discriminate.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Please somebody send this post to Australia. The Labour Party (equivalent of democrats) have started their political campaign in the Islamic capital of Australia, a first. For the last decade we've been constructing multifaith prayer rooms but this hasn't been good enough and Muslims have demanded, and received their own Islamic Prayer Rooms because they hate to share the space with Jews.

Unfortunately it seems to be a "you give an inch they take a mile" situation when pandering to minorities. I just hope that we stop focussing on what divides us and start focusing on what unites us.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: chaoticborders

Aren't you glad the nation is more interested in helping transgenders than in helping you?

But honestly, what all does the country need to do? On a societal level there is only so much that can be done before we start affording people special rights over and above regular folks so that we ensure that people who have different circumstances have everything. At what point does that stop?

I don't want disabled people to be swept under the rug, but at the same time, does your disability qualify you for a job over and above someone who does not have it simply because you don't want to be discriminated against? If that person can do the job in question better than you can, even with reasonable accommodation, then why should you have it instead?

I've lost jobs because I can spend a good number of days out sick. Should an employer be forced to hire me even though they know at the outset I will be unreliable in attendance? I don't so. They are hiring because they need a job done, and if my attendance ability isn't going to allow me to do that job, then they shouldn't have to hire me just because I have a chronic condition that can get out of control and make me ill a lot. It interferes with their needs and that's not why they are hiring.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Aren't you glad the nation is more interested in helping transgenders than in helping you?

What's the difference in one minority being denied Equal Rights compared to another.

You really don't get it.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: deadlyhope
a reply to: TonyS

???.... That's what my OP is stating.

That we should stop catering to these groups.

That we are in fact catering to these groups, and causing more division and hatred, and less equality, not more.

If my OP is delusional, so are you, since I basically have been saying what you just said....

I think he means you're delusional about us being able to fix it. I hope he's not right. Fight the stream! Swim upstream!

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: deadlyhope

The media pushes these political "agendas" because so many people crave it. They're weak and lacking in self-worth and want somebody to hate or to blame so they can feel better about themselves and less responsible for dealing with the roots of real problems.

^ True that.

They also want a "savior" to make them feel like their pathetic lives have a greater importance in the larger scope of things. Hence, fervorous rallying behind people who have a public platform from which to speak.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   
The melting pot should melt the things inside you say??? Blasphemy! Don't you know that's insensitive to other cultures!?!?

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Our whole system of government was set up to cater to minorities. Since the founding of ourncountry; The US has been protecting minorities from the tyranny of the majority. Civil Rights are not up for popular vote.
This is a country where we can all thrive. It's also a country where we celebrate our differences.
If you want to live libertarian style majority rule; leave America alone and move to Somalia.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: chaoticborders

These laws aren't catering, they're letting us have the same rights and opportunities the majority has, because without them it's obvious the majority will discriminate.

Exactly why they have to be forced.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kalixi
Muslims have demanded, and received their own Islamic Prayer Rooms because they hate to share the space with Jews.

Does the government pay for these prayer rooms?

Australia doesn't exactly have a good Humanity record.
edit on 31-5-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: onequestion

Sounds like you need to work hard to achieve something great for yourself and stop whining like a little baby.

What exactly do you think that I'm whining about?

I make six figures telecommuting as an IT professional. I have the title, the income, multiple houses, expensive cars, etc. The difference is that I don't deny that being a white heterosexual male is the best frickin thing to be in America as it has been since 1776.
It has nothing to do with your genetic makeup- america has always favored money. Anyone who has it is who gets their way.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I had no idea that wheel chair ramps was considered "catering" to the parapalegic.

And beeping pedestrian light signals was "catering" to the blind.

And closed captioning was "catering" to the deaf.

Apparently I've been misled into believing that these sorts of things were just simply thoughtful and considerate gestures towards our fellow brethren citizens to help ensure that they don't have to struggle so much in modern day societies.

Silly me.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

By far one of the most honest and accurate things I have heard so far in all of 2016. Thank you being a reasonable and honest.

I am neither male nor Caucasian, but having been an actual victim of a society built on white supremacy and sexism, I absolutely don't understand all the current "whining" from American "working class" White males. For Christ's sake, nobody is taking anything away form you. You have privilege by birth right, you choosing to squander that is by no means the fault of the oppressed people who literally have to work 3 times as hard to overcome a system just to have the "american" dream. Now that the current societal climate is changing and white males now have to share power ( not privilege) with other minorities ( this includes women) there is a real fear of loss. I honesty think its pretty absurd.

Please miss me with all replies that mention affirmative action and have a nice day

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I think you are being a bit too critical in your thinking.

The country was not created to pander to white males. At that time in history, as you seem quite fond of, men were generally the ones who made the rules and enforced them. To say that it was white males who benefited from the creation of this country is disingenuous. Consider the plight of the Irish man in regards to slavery in this country. They were often treated far worse than their black counterparts. And also let us not forget another pertinent historical fact: the first slave owner in this country was a black man. So it was indeed more than just white males who benefited from the creation of this nation.

We did enact the 14th amendment, and many others to level the field, so to speak. Yes it took time. But you can't realistically expect a brand new nation to jump hundreds of years ahead of the social norm in one giant leap. We made the changes and we continue to adjust to new and challenging societal trends.

In the final analysis, if the country truly was created for white males, then it was white males who made these changes and continue to do so. Maybe they should be congratulated for their efforts, instead of vilified for taking too long in your estimation.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Lmao only came on here to read the comments, and boy it sounds like you Americans have just as much problems as us in the UK. So many people paying special attention to minorities that they forget about our own country and our own countrymens needs.

It leads to everyone having to be PC and letting invading foreigners having their laws and religions catered for to the extent it pissis of our own.

Its the non war way to take over a country, we actually have people practicing sharia law here for f sake!! Whole worlds gone PC!!! And we the people are letting it happen, if we dont open our mouths and speak our racist truth then we may aswell bend over and say to these foreign illegals to do us right up the asses, have our houses and jobs too!! Lol

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Sir, you are entitled to your opinions and views. I certainly will not debate with you over how you view the world, no matter how paranoid or delusional.

I will however present fact in the face of racist lies. One being:

Blacks receive more college funds than whites. Example one.

I see you and Mr. Trump use the same fact checking engine. That is absolutely incorrect. As a matter of fact, they changed the educational private grants/scholarships to be more merit based than need based 1999-2006, and having done so:

In the 2007-08 academic year, 16.4 percent of all white undergraduates received merit-based aid. For all black undergraduates, 11.4 percent received merit-based grants. Just over 30 percent of all white students received scholarship grants based on need, compared to 52.9 percent of all black undergraduates. If we look only those students attending four-year colleges and universities on a full-time basis, we find that 35.1 percent of white students and 26.9 percent of black students received merit-based grants. Nearly 40 percent of white students and 70.6 percent of black students received need-based financial aid. Since whites are more likely than blacks to receive merit-based scholarships, the shift in financial aid toward grants based on merit rather than need, as was the case in the 1996 to 2008 period tracked in this study, will benefit whites and lessen the higher educational opportunities of African Americans.

FinancialAid.org
edit on 31-5-2016 by Istaywoke77 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Liberty and justice FOR ALL.

Not 'if it's not me it's not my problem'.

People seem to want the nation to adopt this second mantra.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   
When do we "cater" to minority groups? When we practice equal rights?

Just be kind, keep to your own business and don't discriminate in public and you will get by in life just fine.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I don't want disabled people to be swept under the rug, but at the same time, does your disability qualify you for a job over and above someone who does not have it simply because you don't want to be discriminated against? If that person can do the job in question better than you can, even with reasonable accommodation, then why should you have it instead?

I am glad the nation is moving towards equality for all. I personally feel like it's small minded to be passionate about only one thing. We can work on multiple things at once. It's not all or nothing.

As for the jobs, I absolutely agree the better qualified person should get it. But the problem is, and what I'm talking about, is the disabled person not even having a chance, regardless of qualification or accommodation.
Even though it is illegal, many businesses will turn away a disabled person just for the fact of disability.

People want us to get jobs and not live off the government, but they also don't want to hire us because it's either inconvenient or we'll make customers uncomfortable.

Contrary to popular belief we don't all want to live off the state. Most of us had dreams pf normal lives.

Sadly the truth is, without these laws "catering" to minority groups, we'd be a lot worse off.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   
The whining and entitlement oozing from some working class white males is nauseating.

Oh woe is me, the world has stopped kissing my ass. Some guys need to get over themselves

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join