It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catering to the minorities/groups is not good for the country.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: deadlyhope

Wtf are you even talking about?

The media doesn't make us do anything. They give us exactly what we want. You think MH370 was on CNN for a month straight because they were pushing an agenda of "finding lost planes?"

This is such an abysmal cop out.

The media pushes these political "agendas" because so many people crave it. They're weak and lacking in self-worth and want somebody to hate or to blame so they can feel better about themselves and less responsible for dealing with the roots of real problems.

What's this WE nonsense you speak of?

Speak for yourself bud, it sounds like your air tank may need a refill.

I'm not even going to take the time to recite the retardedness in that poo st.

Media is owned by like one person, jiving stories across thousands of miles instantly, with known infiltration by alphabets.
Spewing whatever they are told instantly.

Or maybe it is just a manifestation of or collective insecurities?

-not

Chill with the childish insults, if you dont like is opinion maybe debate him instead of a rant.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Cry me a river. No one has a fairy tale experience in life.

Maybe it's just that my parents taught me that life isn't fair, so I never expected a fairy tale, but you seem to be busy looking down at how hard you had it and resenting what you think others had.

Or do you think your mom was the only one who got crippled from polio?

edit on 30-5-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: aethertek

Another thing that gets me about this crap. We live in the most free society the US has ever known and people are so blithely ignorant of history that they assume otherwise.

A mere two generations ago we still had segregation, widespread disenfranchisement, people being thrown in prison for being communists, etc.

I'm not saying we don't have problems — we've got warrantless searches, no knock raids, civil assent forfeiture, mass incarceration and domestic surveillance programs to name a few — but it seems that the "freedom" that a lot of people believe they have "lost" is the "freedom" to make second class citizens of entire groups of people.
edit on 2016-5-30 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Maybe it's just that my parents taught me that life isn't fair, so I never expected a fairy tale, but you seem to be busy looking down at how hard you had it and resenting what you think others had.

Ouch! That seemed harsh, but I starred you anyways. You are correct, sir. NO One has a fairy tale perspective of life. Challenges are what creates growth and if you succumb to 'poor me' attitude you will not have initiative to evolve.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: CynConcepts

It sucked, but I just took my lumps and grabbed a waittressing job to cover bills until I found a better job. Many people with disabilities, can be frustrated, but even I understood. I had a problem, not them. I have never expected folks to cater to my whims. I expect equality. I do love a challenge. Many employers in my past looked past my disability and even still to this day, ask me to come back. Whether they really mean the compliment I don't know, I have moved on in my life.

I understand we have different perspectives...but I believe in lifting others up and not pitying them with hand outs.

I was fired for having an illness myself. I guarantee you, it is not the same thing. Not even close.

I grew up in a club for the disabled. I know their stories. I know their resilience.

No, it does not make them stronger to be treated like crap. It makes them feel like crap.

Equal Rights for the Disabled had to be forced. That was and is the right thing to do when a minority is being denied Equal Treatment.

edit on 30-5-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

The only group currently being catered to and/or given special rights in the US at the moment are the religiously inclined.

Exactly.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
The only group currently being catered to and/or given special rights in the US at the moment are the religiously inclined.

What about the bathroom issue?- is that not catering to and/or giving special rights to the transgender community?

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

Maybe it was a bit harder than I intended, but there are two ways you can handle that. You can face each day thankful for what you do have and can do or you can hate everything you think of as a slight or an obstacle that keeps you from doing what you think you want.

And it doesn't help anyone when you do the latter and then try to blame everyone else for what you don't think you have that you think you should.

My personal philosophy is that I try not to worry about what I can't help. It just makes me miserable.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

What about the bathroom issue?- is that not catering to and/or giving special rights to the transgender community?

It was never an issue to start with. Again the complaining is coming from the religiously inclined.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

My mom taught me the same thing. So what.

My mom broke her leg in three places and was back to work the next day with it propped up.

I grew up in a disabled club. Why would I think my mom was the only one?

You and others make it very clear why Equal Rights has to be forced.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   

What laws are NOT Equal Rights ???

People are acting like this is anarchy all of a sudden.

Many laws took 200+ years to make.

Why do people think the original U.S. had 100% conformity with all people?

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Why do people think the original U.S. had 100% conformity with all people?

Who does?

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

You're right we've many problems facing humanity.
Not a one of those include where someone relieves themselves or whats under who's skirt.

This entire charade of angst is entertaining to a point but they need to take their own advise.
Stop being special snowflakes & pull themselves up by their own bootstraps & take responsibility for their "icky" feelings.

Instead of incessantly complaining about a small segment of Americans finally being granted equal rights they need to deal with whatever issue they have personally that causes them to lash out at people & events that don't impact their lives.

Pfft, don't hold your breath.

Honestly I see their whole argument as "Waaa, I can't say ignorant hateful crap anymore with out someone calling me to task for it."

K~

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

It sucked, but I just took my lumps and grabbed a waittressing job to cover bills until I found a better job. Many people with disabilities, can be frustrated, but even I understood. I had a problem, not them. I have never expected folks to cater to my whims. I expect equality. I do love a challenge. Many employers in my past looked past my disability and even still to this day, ask me to come back. Whether they really mean the compliment I don't know, I have moved on in my life.

I understand we have different perspectives...but I believe in lifting others up and not pitying them with hand outs.

I was fired for having an illness myself. I guarantee you, it is not the same thing. Not even close.

I grew up in a club for the disabled. I know their stories. I know their resilience.

No, it does not make them stronger to be treated like crap. It makes them feel like crap.

Equal Rights for the Disabled had to be forced. That was and is the right thing to do when a minority is being denied Equal Treatment.

I had a different perspective provided to me then you, obviously. Most of the disabled I have had dealt with as family and friends, found it irritating to have others try to over-compensate for their disability. They all seemed to recognize that their issue was their own personal challenge in life. Others fawning over their disability embarrassed them! Including myself.

Like I said earlier, it is all a matter of perspective. If you give in to 'poor me' attitude, you will find yourself at a stalemate in society. Not societies fault. If you keep your pride in yourself, the society will recognize your spirit and step up. Whining, crying, and bemoaning look at me...poor lil me...will never gain anyone respect! Respect is earned, not given.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: aethertek

Another thing that gets me about this crap. We live in the most free society the US has ever known and people are so blithely ignorant of history that they assume otherwise.

A mere two generations ago we still had segregation, widespread disenfranchisement, people being thrown in prison for being communists, etc.

I'm not saying we don't have problems — we've warrantless searches, no knock raids, civil assent forfeiture, mass incarceration and domestic surveillance programs to name a few — but it seems that the "freedom" that a lot of people believe they have "lost" is the "freedom" to make second class citizens of entire groups of people.

Pfft. Forget all that, there's a transgendered woman in the ladies room.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Well somebody needs to outline all the equal rights in the original Constitution and compare all the unequal rights, then outline how long it took to "correct" the non-conformance.

We know it took over 140 years to get the LGTBQ equal marriage law nationalized right?

Rome wasn't built in a day as they say.

I think what the OP is suggesting is perhaps some "equalizing" is actually unequal to some groups because of the "equalizing".

There's a lot of hate about "white men" that violated rights long before any of us were born.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Most of the disabled I have had dealt with as family and friends, found it irritating to have others try to over-compensate for their disability. They all seemed to recognize that their issue was their own personal challenge in life. Others fawning over their disability embarrassed them! Including myself.

You think those I grew up with didn't have the same attitude?

Very independent bunch.

Actually, they were a Wild Bunch. Some would get day passes, sneak others out, "wheel and wobble" down the Venice Strand to the local bar and get so drunk they had to recruit other patrons to get them back to the hospital before curfew.

Did they think it was OK to go to dinner with their family and get thrown out because another patron felt uncomfortable? NO.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 07:42 PM
link   
When I'm throwing a really big party, I like to have ethnic food catered. Particularly Mexican or Chinese. I'm not minority, though. I am not sure what hispanics or asians request when they hire a caterer, but I'd like to know.

In any case, I think catering to minorities is fine.

Seriously, it's just more symptoms of the decline. It's no coincidence that we expend more and more societal effort to cater to the smallest of special interest groups, at the same time that more and more people begin to question why they are expected to do all the paying so that other groups can reap the surpluses.

The makers begin to question why they do all the work, and the takers do all the cavitching.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 07:43 PM
link   

I love how people assume things based on their own biases.

This is not at all about trans people - Hell, it's not even as many trans people bringing up the bathroom issues, it's mostly politicians. In that case, I think the politicians and media are ridiculous, not the trans people.

For those questioning this thread.

It's about the media, and politicians creating a division by "catering" or "representing" minorities.

My argument is that catering in the first place is not even as good and altruistic as it may sound.

My argument is also that the particular way we do things.. It only creates more hatred, more division, worse situations for the minorities.

I'd hate to be a trans right now. So much attention and hatred they never wanted nor asked for. Politicians just chose them to be the next victim of political correctness and minority representation so we can sit here and bicker all day rather than tackle the real problems - Like our insanely large, bloated, inefficient government.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

Are there any laws being passed that are restricting your restroom access? Are there laws that require that you provide a copy of your birth certificate to prove your sex? Are there laws being passed that allow people to discriminate against you based on how you were born? Are there laws being passed that allow people to deny you services based on religious belief?

Doubtful.

Tell me again, who is the one with "special rights?"

originally posted by: deadlyhope

My argument is also that the particular way we do things.. It only creates more hatred, more division, worse situations for the minorities.

It's continuous threads like this that cause the divisions between us.

People are generally intolerant of those who are different, which is, afterall, the very subject of this thread. The message is clear... comply and be like us, because we won't tolerate you being different.
edit on 30-5-2016 by ReprobateRaccoon because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join