It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Lost" couple cut lock at Peach Bottom atomic power plant

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Police: Lost couple cut lock at Peach Bottom atomic power plant

I put the word "lost" in quotation marks in the title of my thread because this story sounds like complete BS to me.

The couple claim they were travelling from Pennsylvania to Baltimore and became lost, ending up at a locked gate to the Peach Bottom Atomic Power Plant.

They felt they were lost, with no other options (like turn around and go back the way they came), they claim they did not see the "NO TRESPASSING" signs, so they decided to break out the bolt cutters they just happened to be carrying with them, cut the chain on the gate, and proceed into the nuclear power plant to try and find their way on to Baltimore.

This story sounds so fishy that I am considering calling Mrs. Gorton to alert her husband. I would love to hear your theories as to what is really going on here.
edit on 30-5-2016 by craig732 because: to edit it

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Who the hell travels about with a set of bolt cutters? Sounds well suspect.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   
They had bolt cutters but not smart phones with gps?
Riiiiight,

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I've been known to carry bolt cutters (along with many other tools) in my trunk, but nobody goes around just cutting locks when they're lost. Hopefully the judge is smart enough to see through their lame excuse.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   
What kind of hillbilly people are these..

Firstly who carries bolt cutters around, and who wakes up and sees their partner breaking into a secure compound and then goes back to sleep?

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Riiiiight,

They were hippies I guess assuming his girl smokes Marijuana. I highly doubt they would get a phone.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Morons.

Not much else to say.

+3 more 
posted on May, 30 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: makemap

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Riiiiight,

They were hippies I guess assuming his girl smokes Marijuana. I highly doubt they would get a phone.

So hippies and people that smoke pot don't have phones?
What a ridiculous comment..

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: CthulhuMythos

What makes you think they used bolt cutters to cut the lock? I did not see anything in the report to indicate that other than the man was cutting on the lock while the woman was taking a nap.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Kind of odd that they had no guards posted at the gates.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: BIGPoJo

What makes you think they used bolt cutters to cut the lock? I did not see anything in the report to indicate that other than the man was cutting on the lock while the woman was taking a nap.

I searched all of the news reports; none of them specifically mention bolt cutters.

There are also different sentences in the same news story alternately reporting that the padlock was cut and that the chain was cut.

Very poor reporting but either way you have to admit that the average person does not carry the necessary equipment to cut either a chain or a padlock in their car. Especially not one of the type of quality that I would hope they would be using at a nuclear facility.
edit on 30-5-2016 by craig732 because: to edit it!

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: craig732

lost as in the lost tv show where people take their clothes off and get naked in the wilderness?

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: BIGPoJo

SO he was using a part of his anatomy ? A steak knife ? The key word "cutting"

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 10:44 PM
link   
More from link

Timothy Lee Stewart, 28, drove his red 1998 Dodge Stratus to an access road off of Lay Road where he came upon a "secured fenced-in area," according to charging documents. That's where police said he cut a chain to a gate.

***SNIP***

According to police, who say they consulted with security staff, the couple made it to a "highly security sensitive area where radioactive material is transferred from the main power plant."

A fence there surrounds a "smoke stack type structure," documents state. There is a nearby outbuilding, and if the couple had gone inside, the security staff would have placed the plant on lockdown with a "possibility of lethal force being used," documents state.

But Merkel said she was able to confirm Saturday that the couple had not made it to any areas where radioactive materials are transferred or stored. She said the couple didn't make it past any security officers who monitor all four sides of the plant constantly.

from another link though

Police said they appeared to have reached an area where radioactive material is transferred from the plant, but Merkel said they hadn’t gotten to such an area.
abc...##.###/2016/05/30/couple-arrested-after-cutting-fence-at-nuclear-power-plant/

I'm glad to see there is security and that they are prepared to use lethal force. But to put it into perspective on the "lost" claim, here is a pic of the Peach Bottom Atomic Plant

Something tells me they knew exactly where they were and where they were going. But hey, with all the idiots running around looking for their safe places, who knows?

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   

To my mind, the thing that concerns me most about the contents of the article has nothing to do with the actions of the two hapless travellers. My only concern, the only thing about the article that has any importance what so ever, is how those two were able to APPROACH the gate without being challenged by representatives either of the company running the site, or governmental authorities tasked with protecting with lethal force, the grounds and facilities therein, comprising the nuclear plant itself.

Those individuals should not have been able to deploy from the vehicle at all, without being stopped at gunpoint and persuaded to leave, rapidly.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   

This is odd and no doubt:

Timothy Lee Stewart, 28, drove his red 1998 Dodge Stratus to an access road off of Lay Road where he came upon a "secured fenced-in area," according to charging documents.

Trying to figure out to what exactly they are referring here:

According to police, who say they consulted with security staff, the couple made it to a "highly security sensitive area where radioactive material is transferred from the main power plant."

A fence there surrounds a "smoke stack type structure," documents state. There is a nearby outbuilding, and if the couple had gone inside, the security staff would have placed the plant on lockdown with a "possibility of lethal force being used," documents state.

Looking on google maps, Lay Road is easy enough to find, though the access road seems to be difficult to locate and I cannot see any kind of area that contains a '... fence there surrounds a "smoke stack type structure,",' that matches the description. I see a massive substation, I see the plant, I see a small outbuilding near the substation that has two radio towers outside, but no "smoke stack type structure," anywhere near the plant.

And yes, it is in a remote area with nothing nearby to which a visitor might show interest.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   
The local plants not even deer can get in without being noticed. They knew they were there as soon as the gate moved and were watching.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   

I agree; this smells fishy. More like a fishing expedition, to check response time, security measures, etc. I hope the authorities are looking further into this couple, their associates, and so forth.

a reply to: CthulhuMythos

I have actually had those in my vehicles before. For whatever reason, we have lost the key to a storage shed several times, and had to cut it off and replace it. So, it's possible.

In this case, though, the behavior is very suspicious! They could have easily backtracked.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   

I don't live near a nuclear power plant who in their right mind would????????????

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Those individuals should not have been able to deploy from the vehicle at all, without being stopped at gunpoint and persuaded to leave, rapidly.

This is an excellent point.

It seems as if someone wanted to do something nefarious here they could have. Perhaps this was just a test of their security for a bigger plan?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join