It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian man arrested over racist statements on Social Media

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sargeras
a reply to: Dark Ghost

Glad I'm in America, where I might get fired, but I can't be charged criminally for "offending " others.

www.truthrevolt.org...

America's Future? Canadian Man Faces Jail Time for Disagreeing with Feminists

A Canadian man, Gregory Elliott, faces six months in jail for having a disagreement with feminists on Twitter. He has been charged with criminal harassment.

The case involves two feminists (originally it was three) who claim they were harassed in 2012 by Elliott on Twitter. They are currently in court in Toronto. One of the complainants, Stephanie Guthrie, met with Elliott three years ago to interview him about working for her organization "Women in TO politics." But according to The Toronto Star, Guthrie was "creeped out" by the man and said he was "really intense" and so she decided not to hire him.

Court documents show that the two remained cordial through e-mail correspondence after their meeting and also continued their casual relationship via social media for almost 10 months. But things took a turn when Guthrie went after an online video game that allowed players to virtually punch the face of a feminist blogger. She joined other feminists who made it clear they wanted to publicly shame the game's creator. Guthrie had written on Twitter: “I want his hatred on the Internet to impact his real-life experience."

Seeing this message, Elliott reacted creating the hashtag #FascistFeminists and attacked their viewpoints, without once being threatening or violent. Yet, he was arrested in November of 2012, fired from his job, and now faces jail time.

In court this last week, Guthrie rolled her eyes during cross-examination by Elliott's attorney who asked about her "left-leaning politics." He then asked, "Why would you roll your eyes at a trial where my client faces serious charges of criminal harassment?" She said she didn't see the relevancy of such a question.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Robbiem72

I am an Australian an unfortunately if you say the tiniest thing that may be negative against Aborigines you could be arrested, essentialy si,milar to North American Indians, the state feels guity about their treatment

Yep we the people have to pay for what they the government did in decades and centuries past. That makes sense. From their white guilt point of view. I have many Native Americans in my state of New Mexico here in US and I tell them flat out I never did anything to you, neither did my ancestors, so just lay off.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Winstonian

There are already tons of countries with speech laws. Look at what Facebook,Microsoft,Twitter, and Youtube just did with the EU. Removal of hate speech within 24 hours.

The SJW's will love this, as they are a huge reason stuff like this is even able to happen. Now the different "officials" and "authorities" will start classifying all kinds of different viewpoints as "hate speech."

Now that the can of worms is open, the lid will never go back on.

Free speech is the most important right that we all MUST defend.

Are you getting nervous that you can't say racist slurs freely without repercussion? I'm not, because I don't think or say racist things about pepple.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: TheLaughingGod

It's not my country - I don't live there.

My country is America, and the only way you would get arrested for hate speech here is if you are inciting violence against an individual or group. I'm happy with the hate speech law as it is in my country.

This almost sounds like as if you are subtly calling free speech as hate speech.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: syrinx high priest
so apparently this is part of a cyber crime legislation and carries a maximum penalty of 3 years in prison

The maximum penalty for using a carriage service to menace, harass or cause offence is 3 years imprisonment

Legislation The Cybercrime Legislation Amendment Act 2011 commenced on 12 September 2012. The main purpose of the Act was to facilitate Australia’s accession to the Council of Europe Convention on Cybercrime. The Act also amended the Criminal Code offences to ensure consistency with the Conventions.
Council of Europe Convention on Cybercrime

And there we go. It only takes a bit of offence to go to jail in Australia already. Going well....

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: supremecommander

I love the continuous evidence that you SJW types keep providing freely here on this site and elsewhere on the internet. Immediately rush to either overtly or insinuating that someone is a racist.

I am worried about free speech. That's what I am worried about. Once the powers that be start classifying some things as acceptable, and others as unacceptable, is when they start targeting political and ideological opponents.

If you don't see that as a problem, then maybe you should move to China where this is already the case. Or, maybe you could move over to some Sharia controlled states in the middle east, they love controlling speech there. Being a Christian is considered "hate speech" over there.

But yeah, keep calling me a racist as that will totally prove your case and discredit my opinion. You people make me sick.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: supremecommander

I actually was curious as to what you were all about, so I went back and looked at a handful of your comments. It actually turns out that the majority of your comments are all calling people racist. What is like to live in your world? It appears that you just think every single person is a racist, if they are white of course.

What I found funny is that one of your responses was actually saying that asians have small penises, which is actually extremely racist.

I don't like racist people, so I will no longer interact with you.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: TownCryer

The racist man wasn't arrested for disagreeing with the woman he called out. He was arrested for posting his racist comments on social media. Apparently there's a law in Australia that says public social media cannot be used to post racist comments. If the man broke this law, he should expect to be punished, just as if he violated any other law. I'm not saying it's a good law. I'm just saying it IS a law, apparently.

Well I just passed a law banning all TownCryers. It's all their fault! Without them reporting on all the bad things of the world, none of those things would happen! In all seriousness though, it is our job as citizens to fight against any unjust and stupid law they try and pass on us.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kalixi

Australia doesn't have Freedom of Speech but has a law which prevents it called Section 18C. Basically you can't bag someones race or ethnicity. It only applies to minorities and not white people.

So sounds like by your own laws white people are second class citizens in Australia? And here I had always wanted to visit. I guess I should have done it in the 90s or 00s.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kalixi

originally posted by: TownCryer

The racist man wasn't arrested for disagreeing with the woman he called out. He was arrested for posting his racist comments on social media. Apparently there's a law in Australia that says public social media cannot be used to post racist comments. If the man broke this law, he should expect to be punished, just as if he violated any other law. I'm not saying it's a good law. I'm just saying it IS a law, apparently.

No, you can't post or SAY, or write or draw anything deemed offensive with Austtalian Laws. There was a Historian arrested for questioning facts surrounding the Holocaust as in how many people from where. His book was banned and I believe he was locked up for 3 years.

Man 1 "What are you in for mate?"
Man 2 "Murder. What are you in for?"
Man 1 "Wrote a history book."
Man 2 *blank shocked stare*

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: supremecommander

originally posted by: CB328
This is crazy, but unfortunately I could see this happening here in the US.
A lot of people fear that hate crime laws are just a first step in that direction.

What is there to fear? Treat your fellow man as you would want to be treated yourself and you'll never have a problem with hate crime or hate speech laws.

Yep just sit in your pen with your blinders on. Never look left. Never look right. Just chew your cud and let the master's think for you. Do you really not realize where this leads to? SJW warriors get offended about everything. They are hating on a guy who won't review the new Ghostbusters movie. Should he go to jail? He is hating on the new all female Ghostbusters which is sexist which is hate. Leave me alone and I'll leave you alone. Try and micromanage every aspect of my life and there will be trouble.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: everyone

originally posted by: Sargeras

Glad I'm in America, where I might get fired, but I can't be charged criminally for "offending " others.

www.truthrevolt.org...

America's Future? Canadian Man Faces Jail Time for Disagreeing with Feminists

A Canadian man, Gregory Elliott, faces six months in jail for having a disagreement with feminists on Twitter. He has been charged with criminal harassment.

The case involves two feminists (originally it was three) who claim they were harassed in 2012 by Elliott on Twitter. They are currently in court in Toronto. One of the complainants, Stephanie Guthrie, met with Elliott three years ago to interview him about working for her organization "Women in TO politics." But according to The Toronto Star, Guthrie was "creeped out" by the man and said he was "really intense" and so she decided not to hire him.

Court documents show that the two remained cordial through e-mail correspondence after their meeting and also continued their casual relationship via social media for almost 10 months. But things took a turn when Guthrie went after an online video game that allowed players to virtually punch the face of a feminist blogger. She joined other feminists who made it clear they wanted to publicly shame the game's creator. Guthrie had written on Twitter: “I want his hatred on the Internet to impact his real-life experience."

Seeing this message, Elliott reacted creating the hashtag #FascistFeminists and attacked their viewpoints, without once being threatening or violent. Yet, he was arrested in November of 2012, fired from his job, and now faces jail time.

In court this last week, Guthrie rolled her eyes during cross-examination by Elliott's attorney who asked about her "left-leaning politics." He then asked, "Why would you roll your eyes at a trial where my client faces serious charges of criminal harassment?" She said she didn't see the relevancy of such a question.

Wow that makes me want to punch a Feminist Canadian right in her face. Oh off to jail I go.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: LordDraconia

Sorry, but the world is changing.

You will not be given a free pass for racism and sexism.

Deal with it.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 10:16 PM
link   

So you'd want to punch a woman in her face?

This speaks VOLUMES about the entitlement mentality amongst a small sect of white males.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 10:17 PM
link   

So aboriginal people being second class is okay to you though?

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Winstonian

Lets be real. You're worried about saying racist things that you say in private. Period.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Winstonian

Actually I've stated that I hate all racists. No matter their skin color or ethnicity.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 12:28 AM
link   
"All Chinese people have small penises."
That's what YOU said. The only person here that has said something racist is YOU. You can say that you "aren't racist" all you want, but your actions and words VERY CLEARLY say differently.

Why don't you just admit that you hate white people?

All of your comments on this website are directed toward white people and calling them racist.
Let's see what the definition of racism is:
rac·ism
noun
the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.
prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

So YOU believe that all white people are racist. Looks like you have a belief that white people have a specific characteristic specific to their race. You antagonize , discriminate, and have a predisposed prejudice toward white people.

YOU ARE THE SPITTING DEFINITION OF RACIST. Go spread your hate elsewhere you bigot.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: supremecommander

Sorry, but the world is changing.

You will not be given a free pass for racism and sexism.

Deal with it.

So you'd want to punch a woman in her face?

This speaks VOLUMES about the entitlement mentality amongst a small sect of white males.
So aboriginal people being second class is okay to you though?

Yes the world is changing and I'm glad you're fapping over it now but you don't see how things swing as a pendulum. They were to right right for awhile and now it's swinging left and you're very happy but we'll see how far left it really swings. The problem with thought police and policing speech is that they will always make more and more things forbidden. You'll always be able to say less and less year over year. You have to protect speech you don't like. That is the definition of Freedom of Speech and unalienable human right. And don't worry I'm not going to hurt anyone but I do enjoy the freedom of saying I want to punch special snowflakes black white male female. It makes me feel like a big man. Why would you want to take that away from me? It's not like I'm actually punching anyone.

I don't really know much about Australia or their issues with the Aborigine peoples. I do know that the left wants to elevate native peoples over and above white people though. I do know that it's not about equality, it's about grinding people into their proper place.

I live in America. The whole world can't have our standard of living, there's not enough junk. So for the true left equality that people talk about you'd have to turn my country into a 3rd world hellhole. Sorry if that makes me mad enough to want to speak out about it. I hope you at least have a stake in this racial debate. Because if you watched the BLM movement as soon as they won, they told all their white supporters to take a hike while they had a special black only celebration. They don't want you. They just want to use your feels and then they'll turn on you too. So who are the real racists?

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 03:58 AM
link   

sad you cant speak your mind

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join