It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We have to start taking better care of ourselves.

page: 1

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on May, 29 2016 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I have a co-worker who's fiancé died of a heart attack earlier today in his 40's.

He didn't smoke.

He wasn't 400lbs. (He was 230)

He had a clear bill of health from his cardiologist a couple months ago.

He was a foodie that ate too much of the wrong things.

He didn't exercise enough.

And he worked too much.

Let's take a second to think about the lunacy of our western society. We are literally dying because we have TOO much food. We are dying because we are afforded a lifestyle where we don't have to chase our food. We are sedentary and even though we live in the golden age of medicine and technology we are still dropping dead at home because we eat and drink like #ing assholes.

Think about this as you read it and decide to change your life today because in reality you have no idea how many tomorrows you really have.

edit on 29-5-2016 by avgguy because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-5-2016 by avgguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: avgguy

Yes we do, go outside and just walk for twenty min per day. Nice thread!

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Sorry OP. That's hard to deal with. I watched "Tomorrowland" the other day for the first time, and this stuck with me:

"You've got simultaneous epidemics of obesity and starvation, explain that one. Bees butterflies start to disappear, the glaciers melt, the algae blooms. All around you the coal mine canaries are dropping dead and you won't take the hint! In every moment there's a possibility of a better future, but you people won't believe it. And because you won't believe it you won't do what is necessary to make it a reality."

What a world

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 09:15 PM
link   
If you live in the city just walk back roads too for slightly cleaner air.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Everyone should own a dog. There's nothing like taking your best friend on a nice 1 or 2 mile walk with your spouse.

I really think walking is the key to longevity. My mother is 95 years-old and she used to walk 2 miles to work and back home everyday. She only takes 1 medication for depression which is really amazing at her age! I remember having a hard time as a kid keeping up with her fast walking pace.

I've asked acquaintances and fellow workers whose parents died at an old age if their loved one did a lot of walking during their lifetime. Many of them would say "oh, he or she walked all the time!" So either it's just a coincidence or walking really keeps the heart ticking.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

Everyone should own a dog. There's nothing like taking your best friend on a nice 1 or 2 mile walk with your spouse.

I got nothing to add. Petting your dog for 15 minutes a day , immediately lowers your BP (goes for any pet) .
Walking your dog , you get exercise and reduces stress levels immensely.
So ,

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: avgguy

And he worked too much.

I think this is a bigger deal than most people realize. I don't know whether this man enjoyed his work or not, but if he was anything like most us, he spent much of his days wanting to be somewhere else.

We're nothing but stressed animals anymore. A rat. In a cage. On antibiotics.

These are not the lives we were meant to live.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I'm attempting to start growing my own fruits and veggies indoors to get some juicing action that is organic and a good mix of crops.

Just barely got started with some kratky method lettuce, a cucumber plant, and some super sweet tomatoes. Soon I hope to have a huge variety of healthy grazing materials.

I am also entertaining the idea of an indoor fish pond for the hell of it like something edible and run aquaculture or what have you. Small space so I will have to be crafty.
edit on 29-5-2016 by stabstab because: !

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 01:38 AM
link   

You said he worked too much..

He didn't, by any chance, drink Monster energy drinks?

I am hearing more and more of people having heart attacks - who had a clean bill of health - but consumed more than the recommended dosage of the energy drink.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Well, few things
Some say walk for X amount of time..sure..good tip..but dont walk in a leisurely pace..quick walk, and make it 30+ minutes..
fidget more. ignore what your parents told you..if you're sitting, do the leg tap, find arm movements all the time, keep moving, this will burn small amounts of calories passively and increase circulation..over time it adds up.

Understand genetics plays a role though. some people with bad eating habits and smokes heavily live to be 80+, meanwhile health nuts can drop dead at 50 seemingly randomly, so know your family history and what you're susceptible to by genetics and work with a doctor to stave off any extra risks

Low sodium diet only if your blood pressure is high, otherwise, dont go low..its been shown low sodium + low blood pressure can be just as dangerous.

Tomorrow is promised to nobody, and far better people than you or I died at half our age, so accept the inevitable and enjoy today, but plan on being here tomorrow if luck keeps up.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Nope. It's my god given right to eat Taco Bell and drink a 12er of bud light daily. So what if I smoke 2 packs a day and sleep 2 hours at night.

Just kidding. I totally believe people need not only slow down, but also check out of reality more often. I'm not talking drugs or anything, but just putting the computer down, or logging off of ATS for a bit of time. This world we live in now days really has is plugged in and connected world wide. And jeezus, enough with the political stress pushers.

And with that, I'll be turning off and turning in for the night. Thanks for the thread. It's all true.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Nah, just let people keep at it and pass their wonderful lifestyle down to their fat,waddling kids. More infertility and early death. It will help with the overpopulation problem.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 08:16 AM
link   

He wasn't 400lbs. (He was 230)

Ok, like 230 lbs is acceptable?

We are literally dying because we have TOO much food.

Probably more like over-indulgence, and the Western diet of too much meat and beer.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   
In July I suffered a "widowmaker" heart attack, but I was in denial through much of it because I didn't fit the stereotypical heart attack patient profile. Even while recovering for almost a week in the ICU, it was hard to believe how close to death I really was, because things like major heart attacks only happen to stressed out fat old men, not mellow, underweight women. How wrong I was.

I've since learned to live. To really relax. To enjoy simple things that I once took foregranted. I was granted a second chance, something that 95% of widowmaker sufferers never get.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   
This is an excellent thread. Sadly, it's the second time in half a week that I have heard a similar story.

OP, sorry for your co-worker's devastating loss.

It is true that our diets and activity levels are all wack. People do work themselves to death. Trying to keep a balance can be extremely stressful for some people, too - they get crap thrown at them from the office for not being willing to work every bloody weekend and 12-hour days with a 24/7 pager.

It gets harder as you get older too. Mr Wigs is only 45, and his health is definitely compromised by the stress of life....

And the poor Millennials, just out of school buried in debt, can get on the 'fast track' to corporate management -- but they have to work 80 hours a week. People who refuse to do that remain "hourly" staff.....
or they have to fight and claw their way out of the building and deal with jackass bosses from overseas who don't get that they are actually human beings.

It's deplorable...an embarrassment of a human rights system for a 1st-world country.

I'm going outside now to enjoy the spring weather and to read....or just daydream.
Take care everyone. My three-degrees removed condolences to the bereft young bride.

new topics

top topics

join