It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Old Classic movies that should stay Classic's and NOT be remade/rebooted

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 06:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

The creative industries of TV/literature/movies/music are running out of ideas and realising how they exist in a world of finite ideas - copy this, copy that, reboot this. That's not saying there are no new ideas left. It's possible we're running out of ideas after exploring so many of them in the forty or so thousand years years we've been artistic.

Grim huh??

On the bright side, a great new producer/director can kick all the dust out from an old movie classic and make it all shiny new again for the next generation. Does it happen often?? Nope! We can hope though

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 06:34 AM
link   
It's been posted already but The Goonies. Can you imagine anyone else in those roles? I wouldn't go see it.

Leave Big Trouble in Little China alone as well.

All 3 Back to the Future movies.

Breakfast at Tiffanys

Apocalypse Now

The Last Starfighter

Ferris Bueller

Stand by Me

*I don't like my nostalgia trampled on*

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

It's not that there are no ideas or good things that could be risked.

The problem is that it's all about the money. For some of these things we see, like Dukes of Hazard and the A Team, the studios owned the intellectual property but under the terms of the agreement, the ownership would lapse if nothing was down, so they slapped out a crappy movie as time ran down. And for other things, the cost of making movies is so great that they don't want to invest the risk in what they see as "unproven" property (in other words, the new stuff). So instead, the take something that made a lot of money the first time around and "improve" it figuring they will make even more money off its laurels.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   
My biggest complaint regarding remakes is when they take a rated R movie and dumb it down to PG-13. Also there are only 2 recent remakes that in my opinion are as good, if not better, than the originals- Dredd and The Amityville Horror (with Ryan Reynolds).
edit on 30-5-2016 by Autorico because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Autorico

Another thing that has been remarked on that may have an impact on the quality of movies:

The real classics, the best movies were made by people who grew up reading the great literature. Nowadays, a lot of our great fillmakers grow up watching those filmmakers great movies. Is that an impact in the quality of product?

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

That is a very very good post.

Very insightful thank you

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Absolutely. I find a lot of new movies lack a decent narrative. Most of the time the story seems rushed. No character development.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I would say none of the westerns should be remade. Especially the John Wayne movies and shows.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   
A couple of my movies have been mentioned: Jaws and Close Encounters, so I'll add Duel with Dennis Weaver, Earthquake with Charlton Heston, When Worlds Collide, Without Warning and Needful Things. Pretty sure I'll be able come up with some more.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Autorico

Absolutely. I find a lot of new movies lack a decent narrative. Most of the time the story seems rushed. No character development.

To me what I think it is, is the the newer movies don't seem to have the heart that the older ones had.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   
A Clockwork Orange in my opinion is one of the movies that should never be remade and I could list a ton more as well. Since you mentioned only 80's and 90's movies that makes it a little harder cause of two that popped up in my head was Uncle Buck and Adventures of Babysitting. Which both have a remake this year Adventures in Babysitting is coming out as a TV movie for Disney and Uncle Buck as a TV show on Fox I believe this fall.

Always see people talking about GhostBusters as being that movies that should not be remade but to be honest the original is a smidgen loosely off based of a TV show Ghost Busters which started the guys from F-Troop. Figure someone will say its different and it falls more on like Filmation ghost busters due to Tracy the Ape. Most people have this think about the series and movie have nothing in common and I understand it is different but at least to me you have ghosts, guys looking to capture the ghosts and doing jobs to help people. That to me has always summed it up for me.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Citizen Kane from 1941 Orson Wells, probably the best American movie ever. Mine, critics, and many from the general public. Do not get near this one or most of the others on these list please.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I can tell you one thing, movies like Animal House, Blazing Saddles and Monty Python & the Holy Grail are safe. With everything being so PC and people so thin skinned these days no one would dare touch those without fear of upsetting at least one group or another. And that's a good thing! Sadly, they don't make movies like that anymore.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: RomaSempre

After 34 years, I finally got around to watching Blazing Saddles. Really fun movie. "Where all the white women at?!" = me totally losing my s#.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

I swear, what a cheesy damn disaster that will be the Rock as Jack Burton.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   
The Godfather I and II.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   

I think they should leave them be. The whole point of being a creative is to create original content....

Let what is great remain great!

To add to the list of untouchables: Stand by Me, Ferris Bueller, Goonies, and Pet Cemetery

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   
"Plan 9 from Outer Space"

It was perfect just the way Ed Wood made it....

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Pamela Anderson on the boat !
Ooh wait I'd like to see a remake !

No really don't touch shawshank , and fields of dreams

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Jaws and Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.
Oh, wait... scratch out that second one, I forgot they did that and completely fumbled on the play. Oh, Lord of the Rings! They should enact a law preventing a remake. Punishable by death if broken!
edit on 3/6/2016 by Gyo01 because: Can't believe I forgot LoTR.

edit on 3/6/2016 by Gyo01 because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2    4 >>

join