It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gary Johnson wins Libertarian presidential nomination at party convention

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit
a reply to: CynConcepts

The Trouble with Libertarian's is that they Do Not Appeal to the Masses with their Self Centered Ideology . This take it or Leave it Mentality assures that a Libertarian will Never hold the Highest Office in the Land . Libertarian's cannot Politically Evolve from their Base Beliefs , and are Doomed to Political Oblivion because of that .

Why do you think libertarians are self-centered?

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: John_Rodger_Cornman

The Trouble with Libertarian's is that they Do Not Appeal to the Masses with their Self Centered Ideology . This take it or Leave it Mentality assures that a Libertarian will Never hold the Highest Office in the Land . Libertarian's cannot Politically Evolve from their Base Beliefs , and are Doomed to Political Oblivion because of that .

I actually registered Libertarian Party, but left quick, though I identify as a Libertarian in philosophy.I actually confirmed the fine print of the party platform which IS a Pro Open Border/Pro Amnesty platform.

Until they change that, they won't get me back, and they will NOT get my vote. No matter who runs.
edit on 216pm3111America/Chicago15CDT11America/Chicago by BatheInTheFountain because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 04:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: BatheInTheFountain

originally posted by: John_Rodger_Cornman

I actually registered Libertarian Party, but left quick, though I identify as a Libertarian in philosophy.I actually confirmed the fine print of the party platform which IS a Pro Open Border/Pro Amnesty platform.

Until they change that, they won't get me back, and they will NOT get my vote. No matter who runs.

I agree, that plank is one a little flimsy in their platform. This is why I make the little L distinction whenever I am identifying as libertarian in a conversation, I just have too many issues with the platform for me to get behind the Liberterians as a party, let alone register as one.

Nah, I think I will remain independently associated for now and pick and choose the best I can, avoiding voting for the trash in each party.

Not really a fan of the concept of political parties to begin with.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 05:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct

Wages would much higher in the construction sectors, and the labor sectors in general (im talking double or triple) if not for all the illegal competition.

That is one benefit. But your forgot the best. More jobs opening up in the construction sector for legal citizens
Peace and a star.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 06:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

It's not technically competition. That would imply a level playing field between both parties, and that's not the case.

Generally, people can't live off the wages that those construction companies are willing to pay.

Illegals can, since they don't pay taxes and misc. government fees. The cost of living vs wages is completely out of proportion and is part of this problem. Obviously so is illegal immigration and that needs to stop.

But they aren't competing for your jobs, they are taking the ones you aren't willing to do, because the company won't pay you what need to make a decent living and support your family.

Fix the wages issue, fix this problem too.

~Tenth

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 06:40 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Generally, people can't live off the wages that those construction companies are willing to pay.

The average pay of a construction worker has went down over the past 10 years or more. Care to guess why ? The original poster I replied to , stated the reason rather accurately. And you backed it up as well.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 06:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

The average pay of a construction worker has went down over the past 10 years or more. Care to guess why ? The original poster I replied to , stated the reason rather accurately. And you backed it up as well.

You have it in reverse.

The companies were paying sh*t wages to begin with. Besides, illegal immigration has been on the decline in the last 10 years anyway. Net immigration from Mexico is close to 0%.

Most of the people coming over are women and children from South America, who are not taking your construction jobs, at least not for another decade or so where the kids are concerned.

The greed of companies not willing to pay Americans, a proper American wage for their work, is what compounded the problem.

~Tenth

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Sorry , please try again . I have plenty of friends and family who were in the business prior to 2000 . Once upon a time , you could make a good living hanging sheet-rock or even painting.Brick-laying payed dang good . Not so much anymore. And since the great bust in the housing bubble in 2008 , the situation has deteriorated even further.

But , I kinda stray from the original OP.
Peace. signing off to actually sign off from work. Time for a little relaxation , coffee , and "Dying Light" on PC

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Sorry , please try again . I have plenty of friends and family who were in the business prior to 2000 . Once upon a time , you could make a good living hanging sheet-rock or even painting.Brick-laying payed dang good . Not so much anymore. And since the great bust in the housing bubble in 2008 , the situation has deteriorated even further.

But , I kinda stray from the original OP.
Peace. signing off to actually sign off from work. Time for a little relaxation , coffee , and "Dying Light" on PC

Thank you for your personal input. Though, I can see the truth in what tothetenthpower says above. Even you stated that after the housing bubble bust in 2008 the situation deteriorated even further. Truth be known, the IT world is suffering not due to illegal immigration, but work visa immigrants being brought in by companies. I personally have no problem with work visas, but believe companies should have more incentive to hiring our own Americans.

I find I am in disagreement with all of the candidates offered on some subject or another, so I am forced to weigh it on the scale of who really could be the most effective. Bernie will be stalemate...nothing done. Clinton will be same path as Obamas last 4 years. Trump will be thwarted due to the President is not the Owner of America...he can't just make his own changes as such. The President serves...this idea he does not understand. Johnson falls right in the middle of everyone. He may be running on the Liberterian ticket, but he seems more like an Independent. Even many of the Liberterians themselves really don't consider him 'one of them'. Lol. Being middle of the road though, with Weld on his ticket, I believe he would get more accomplished at this point than any other candidate.
edit on 5 30 2016 by CynConcepts because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   
NM a bit off-topic
edit on 5/30/16 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   

You are right to an extent! Liberterians always seemed to border on the Looney-Loos as far as I have ever seen. Johnson getting Weld nominated as his VP made me take another look. The convention on Sunday showed that their own party was separated, but it appears commen sane sense won out and they may have meat to offer the mainstream media and Americans this election. Not hard to do since the other parties involved digressed into looney villa this time!

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
a reply to: Gothmog

It's not technically competition. That would imply a level playing field between both parties, and that's not the case.

Illegals can, since they don't pay taxes and misc. government fees. The cost of living vs wages is completely out of proportion and is part of this problem. Obviously so is illegal immigration and that needs to stop.

But they aren't competing for your jobs, they are taking the ones you aren't willing to do, because the company won't pay you what need to make a decent living and support your family.

Fix the wages issue, fix this problem too.

~Tenth

You see thats the thing, it's the illegals who is driving the wages down in the first place, in two major ways.

1. Saturating the market with an over abundance of able bodied workers. This creats a market where the employer can lower the compensation for a job and it will eventually be accepted by someone because there simply is no other option for them. Think about it if you had five jobs and 20 people wanting those jobs, who has the upper hand? The employer.

2. This kinda stems from number one...The illegals are willing to work for less because they know they are illegal and they know that they have to give the employer some sort of incentive for taking the chance to hire them. They typically room with several other people in the same situation as they, so as to better handle the crappy cost of living/pay ratio.
edit on 5/30/2016 by Alien Abduct because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Voting for Gary at this point

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join