It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Up to 700 migrants feared dead in Mediterranean this week: UNHCR

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 07:44 AM
link   

A week of shipwrecks and death in the Mediterranean culminated Sunday with harrowing testimony from migrant survivors who said another 500 people including 40 children had drowned, bringing the number of feared dead to 700. Brought to safety in the Italian ports of Taranto and Pozzallo, survivors told the UN's refugee agency (UNHCR) and Save the Children how their boat sank on Thursday morning after a high-seas drama which saw one woman decapitated. "We'll never know the exact number, we'll never know their identity, but survivors tell that over 500 human beings died," Carlotta Sami, UNHRC spokeswoman
What a pity so many people have to die due to persecution by religion and economic hardship. Yes, they are desperate to escape war,and looking for a better life for their families only to perish at the bottom of the sea. And unfortunately there is no end in sight to these tragedies.....reliefweb.int...

+1 more 
posted on May, 29 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   
They know the risks, they do not have to get in boats with their children.. I wouldn't..
They should do it by the book instead of trying to sneak in..
Sounds harsh but that is the reality of it.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Not so many immigrants coming ashore now are there…

..you ask me, a quick pass by a destroyer on full steam would produce enough of a wake to topple these packed human cargo ships.

No I don't have proof. But I remember them opting to deploy military vessels to the Mediterranean to 'interdict' refugees.

deterrance

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Misterlondon

They know the risks, they do not have to get in boats with their children.. I wouldn't..
Of course YOU wouldn't, your a [snip] mate, with a roof over your head,warm bed,3 square meals a day,money in the bank or on social welfare, your type of bigoted comment makes me angry. Anyway it wont be long and you'll be off to the local pub, enjoy you ********.
edit on Sun May 29 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate (REVISED)

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: tommo39

European values and tax-Euros at work, nothing to see here...
Keep calm and carry on, everything is ok!

You're angry? I feel ya, now look into all the economic promotions involved and get really mad about it:

www.themigrantsfiles.com...

As if we couldn't finance to save human rights and lives...
What the eff happened to Europe?

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 08:44 AM
link   
And you my friend are a racist.. i would never put my children's lives in danger... no matter what position I am in..
The safety of my children are my most important thimg in this life and I have already made huge sacrifices to ensure that..

These people put their children in sh#tty boats, they only care for themselves or they wouldn't do it.. i feel for those children that are put in danger and lose their loves but not the scumbags that in my opinion killed those children..

You mate are probably in a similar situation to me, if you care so much, give it all up and go out to these countries and help them instead of sitting in your warm house spouting your nonsense..

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   

How did it happen that one woman was decapitated? I'm not supposed to believe it was done by a wave, am I?

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Sometimes situations cause individuals (or groups of individuals) to make decisions and take actions that those of us that are not in the same situation would never do. It is one of the most difficult things to put ourselves in the shoes of someone else because we can never KNOW what it is to BE THEM.

Should we be angry at the Sun or Physics because they conspired together to generate a weather pattern that contributed to the sinking of the boat? How could these people have ever predicted that this horrible event would occur? I suspect that their situation was dire, or they wouldn't have risked their lives or taken the chance that their children might perish.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

No it's not difficult. . I would NEVER put my childrens life in danger no matter what..
And f#ck the weather.. you just don't do it.. full stop.

These people must already hear horror stories of people dying and they still put young children in these boats..They know the risks and they still proceed.

Nothing can be worse than risking your child's life.. They are selfish, irresponsible people.. simple as that..

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

How did it happen that one woman was decapitated? I'm not supposed to believe it was done by a wave, am I?

Directly from the article..

According to the survivors, the first boat's Sudanese captain cut the rope, which snapped back and decapitated a woman.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Good riddance. Nothing of value was lost, other than useless welfare moochers who multiply like rabbits. It's just beautiful they even killed their own on the ship, Europe doesn't need or want them.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Not that i'm a fan of Australia but they have a policy that works. They said if you try to enter the country (island) by boat illigal you wil not be accepted. And guess what? The boats STOPPED coming. Simple as that. Europe is one big pussycat that can't say no. Like Nigel Farage said. The EU is making illigal immigration legal. FFS
it's time for the people to dismantle the EU
and the people putting their children in danger with these unsafe boats are Murderers. You are safe in turkey and other middle east countries that take in refugees. Europe does not want you! At least the majority

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Not a popular post here but, only a few more million to go and problem will be resolved.

It is really simple, if you have a fight in your home, you don't move into your neighbor's home to fix it. Fix your own problems with your own country and voila, migration is no longer necessary; or am I to believe that we are not all humans created equally? If we can do it then....

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Pyrrho

Didn't read the article to be honest. This stuff just makes me sad.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 03:34 PM
link   

So do you also never put your children in a motor vehicle? Cmon now man. Maybe you like to think you never put them in danger. Reality is different. Danger is everywhere.

Eta: I am with you on the boat crossing the Med thing. I would never risk that for my child. But you cannot be all high and mighty and claim you never expose your children to any danger. It is all about taking adequate precautions. That is all you can do.
edit on 29-5-2016 by lightedhype because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   

If they cared anything for their children they would be in their homelands fighting the mess their own religion made and give their children a country they can live in without war and craziness. Instead, they want to bring the war to Europeans at the cost of their children's lives.

And some people think that is love... I don't feel sorry for them, they knew the cost before leaving.
edit on 29-5-2016 by Kitana because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 04:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: KaibaTheJedi
Good riddance. Nothing of value was lost, other than useless welfare moochers who multiply like rabbits. It's just beautiful they even killed their own on the ship, Europe doesn't need or want them.

No, it's pretty sad really. You think then if some people weren't really escaping harm, but instead wanted welfare or to be terrorists in Europe, who told them that(reports said flyers went around), who really put that idea into their head? Then those people's lives lost because they were used as pawns for what ever the true agenda might be, if there is one. What about people who were really genuinely escaping a war torn situation -family's with children?

Many people in Florida felt the same when Cuban refugees were coming to the US and didn't make it. Even though prisoners were released by Castro, not all were prisoners.

Albeit dangerous way to travel, some may find it was an only solution, either stay and die-let's say the ones who cannot join into to fight- or try to leave where you may have a perceived higher chance of surviving.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 04:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: KaibaTheJedi

Did your parents beat you as a child ?...Wow ...Do you even know why you hate these people ? Do you know anything at all about these individuals or have you gone all daily mail on us ?

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pyrrho

originally posted by: Peeple

Directly from the article..

According to the survivors, the first boat's Sudanese captain cut the rope, which snapped back and decapitated a woman.

Yeah a rope decapitated a woman. Somehow i dont believe that story. more like she woudnt put out and someone lopped her head off. Did they check the flesh on the neck for rope fibers? IF it decapped her it would leave rope fibers behind. Still its a tragic loss of life. I do not approve of illegal immigration but i do understand it better these days so im not going to be mean here.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: notmyrealname

Not a popular post here but, only a few more million to go and problem will be resolved.

Don't let this little vacation in misanthropica get through to your head in that basement. You seem to care much about popularity on ATS, which explains a lot.

Funny read, this topic turned out hilariously well! Go go go, ATSliens!

new topics

top topics

join