It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walk into a ladder while staring at your phone, get 161k. Snowflake jury crisis in the near future.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 06:58 AM
link   
This story just ticked me off this morning so I thought I would share.

www.facesoflawsuitabuse.org...

-They say that walking under a ladder will bring a person bad luck.
Apparently, walking into that same ladder while texting will bring you a pot of gold … or, $161,000, to be exact.
That’s what happened for DeToya Moody.
Photos from a surveillance video show a worker replacing the letters on a bank sign at the Decatur, GA Publix grocery store in February 2011. The worker reportedly had placed orange safety cones on either side of the back of the truck, and he was in the bucket on the ladder, which was extended “when Moody parked her vehicle behind the truck,” reports Georgia legal journal The Daily Report.
Moody walked past the truck and underneath the ladder, then turned and went back to the car to get something, before walking back to use an ATM machine by the truck.
While Moody was at the ATM machine, the worker lowered the bucket to the sidewalk. That’s when Moody came back to her car, “holding her cellphone in front of her face,” according to the defense portion of the pretrial order.
Phone records confirm that Moody was sending an outgoing message at the time she walked into the ladder.
According to The Daily Report:
“The ladder the woman (Moody) walked into was bright orange, and she had walked past the truck three times prior to the accident. But most damning was video footage showing the woman engrossed in her cellphone as she struck the ladder and collapsed onto the concrete.”
To be sure, Moody was injured and taken by ambulance to the DeKalb Medical Center. Her doctor diagnosed her with post-traumatic headaches and a mild concussion. She also had a slight indentation in her head.
Moody sued the worker’s employer, R. Henry, Inc. The defense offered $5,000, which Moody rejected.
Despite the photo and phone record evidence, a DeKalb County jury found that Moody was only 8 percent liable for her injuries. As such, she was awarded $161,000, or 92 percent of a $175,000 verdict.
Even Joseph Wilson — Moody’s own lawyer — said “he had no idea where the 8 percent figure came from.” He even admitted that the defense made a “common sense” argument that Moody “wasn’t paying attention.”
Despite her own attorney’s apparent doubts about her case, Moody walked away $161,000 richer.
And we’re left with yet another head-scratching story about a ridiculous lawsuit award.-

-Even when your the victim of your own stupidity you can somehow get someone else to pay up in this crybaby society-

-A jury found in her favor. 12 other bottom feeders awarded this.-

-When all the 'juries of your peers' are made up of degenerate snowflakes then just about any lawsuit is gonna be won in the future.-

edit on 29-5-2016 by In4ormant because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 07:23 AM
link   
This is a case of injustice for the worker. I mean the person working on this sign did all that the job required to make aware they were working their, then some stupid human engrossed on their phone walks into the situation blind.

How is this even fair or right?? Even cctv proved they were on their phone at the time and was well aware of what was going on around them, its almost like they preplanned it or something because they walked past 3 times so must have thought about it.

This kind of stuff makes me mad also, your not alone in this thinking. People seem to able to make claims for any accident these days even when its their own fault. Society has gone mad! Lol

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 07:37 AM
link   
The world is just full of morons.. and stupidity seems to pay off these days.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   
What does snow flakes have to do with the stupid law system, some lady burned herself on a mcdonalds coffee and she sued them and won.

Stupid people with a stupid system.

Another failed attempt to insult certain people.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   
In4ormant

This is one of those stories where I find myself thinking: "why should I even care. The truth is, I don't.

For all the talk of "special snowflakes" (*shudder*) looking for something to be offended by, the side of this societal game of Red Rover digging up these stories doesn't seem much better. Or different.

*sigh*

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
What does snow flakes have to do with the stupid law system, some lady burned herself on a mcdonalds coffee and she sued them and won.

The jury pool will be made up of these miscreants. You can site the coffee cup incident by heart because it was outlandish and also fringe at the time.
This sort of baseless award will start to become the norm when the deciding 12 are solely made up of people from the victimhood culture.

-I thought it was pretty easy to follow-

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: CagliostroTheGreat
In4ormant

This is one of those stories where I find myself thinking: "why should I even care. The truth is, I don't.

For all the talk of "special snowflakes" (*shudder*) looking for something to be offended by, the side of this societal game of Red Rover digging up these stories doesn't seem much better. Or different.

*sigh*

And we should all be so lucky in the future to not be a defendant for one of these cases.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   
This isn't about dips-hits , its about a perverted justice system beset with lawyers and lawsuits off stupid dips-hits, and winning because some judge allowed it.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Personally, I don't feel bad when people like this get Darwin awards. If you walk past something 3 times and then straight in to it on the 4th, while holding a cell phone in front of your face, you deserve it. If a text is so important you walk in to traffic, don't blame the driver that hits you. Don't get me started on texting and driving. Can anyone tell me why a text or message on Twitter or Facebook is more important than your own life? Or the lives of your kids/family? You wouldn't blindfold yourself and drive, but you'll hold a phone in front of your face to read. Don't look to me for sympathy when it bites you in the ass.
But, I don't think it's snowflake behavior either. It seems like a sign of the times of people being fed up with big business and striking back whichever way they can. As stupid and useless as that may be. This will just encourage more suits to force others to pay for their own carelessness.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Lets line the edge of cliffs with ladders...

iTruthSeeker

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969

I thought the lawsuit and the fact she won was as stupid as the overuse and mis-use of this ridiculous "snowflake" term all of these easily offended folks seem to be using lately.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: In4ormant

Ummm...must have been a jury of her...peers...

YouSir

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I have to agree with you on that statement. This story again shows how backwards our judicial system really is and why people are allowed to sue over not not having commen sense.

I have sat on two different juries and they were extremely eye opening how the system works. After hearing all the "facts" you are then told by the judge that as the jury you need to do x,y and z to come to a decision.

So from the very beginning, the manipulation of the trial begins. There is pertinent information that is not permissible, there is information that is presented then needs to be removed, and as the jury you are trying to keep track of all this.

By the time you are sent to the jury room with the instructions from the judge you have a mish mash of information that you have to make sense of and make a decision with.

I feel for any person who must sit on juries.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   
It is a gas leak.. they are gassing us I tell you.
You think it is natural reaction coming out of the ground... it is not.
It is morons gas, it is every where!

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Watcher777

After hearing all the "facts" you are then told by the judge that as the jury you need to do x,y and z to come to a decision.

The ultimate jury tampering. Screw the judge, he pronounces the juries decision and then sentence. The Jury makes the decision.

Thats why I couldn't sit on one. Besides, they would never allow me to, I don't play by their rules.

Thanks for that insiders look.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

If a text is so important you walk in to traffic, don't blame the driver that hits you. Don't get me started on texting and driving.

Better yet have a dash cam to record stupid does, if it happens to you it will never get to court.

Wait, we've been down this road before…

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   

What I'd like to point out.....

Is the gene pool of the jury.

Decatur? Yeah

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   

thankful I never have gotten a smartphone people using them are so stupid they should call them stupid phones its does the exact opposite of what it claims a smart phone they make people dumber.

top topics

join