It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How we CELEBRATE people killing & getting killed in pursuit of EMPIRE (Memorial Day)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Yep in Two days we Celebrate Decoration Day, The day to go and Decorate and Remember the Fallen. Not for the Events they Fought in But the Tragedy of the fact they were lost.

Decoration Day started out after the civil war and was Two different days, one for the North and One for the South they Got Merged into Memorial Day.

This Monday is not suppose to be a Happy Holiday but a Grimdark one. Just Like 9-11 is.

The Meaning of it has been forgotten.

Just like we will see another one of these posts like this on Armistice Day

CoBaZ
Proudly Volunteered for Service, and would do it again.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 02:00 AM
link   
We are the only country with a war machine. We are the only country that sales weapons to other countries. Our war machine is pretty handy when we are threaten by other war machines. We are not perfect! If we don't stand up for ourselves, who will? At leat we let women vote and drive? At least we can criticize our government. Maybe our war mechine needs more control like China or North Korea?

link   
a reply to: IkNOwSTuff

the thing is, many soldiers are fully aware of how an empire, and all countries , have to operate and what those implications are. It does not change the fact that there will always be rivals with similar interests at heart, with little empathy or regard for the well being of those who are in the way of those goals. Therefore, it is always necessary for men and women to step up for the common security of our peoples interests when they run counter to those of our rivals and even our allies sometimes.

Many will do so knowing it will end in their demise, because doing so will also inspire hope in others, and many will also join the call to arms for vengeance of their fallen allies, brethren, family. No matter how perfect a system is, eventually blood will be spilled by others. It is up to us decide how much we will allow to be shed before we also have to draw the sword and reciprocate.

It is in the honor of those who know and accept this fate, that we honor their memory with Memorial Day, as well as Veterans Day.

We fight, because there will always be a "someone else" that does not like our beliefs, agree with our liberty, or how we conduct business. If we don't than we become the pillaged and plundered instead of the VICTOR!

link   

originally posted by: SpecialSauce
a reply to: CoBaZ

Memorial day honors those who fought so we would have the freedom to say only politically correct things.

[self insert expletive that would get auto censored by the system when it is aptly appropriate] that.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 02:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
We as warriors prefer quiet respect . I guess the day off started the celebrations.
Respect for the dead ,Live vets have a day.

Dig.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 02:03 AM
link   
a reply to: AmericanRealist

Thank you. Wish I could star more then once.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 02:12 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I am going to chuck an unpleasant theory in on this one because it has bugged me ever since I was a young kid.

Although we don't actually celebrate Memorial Day and its really about remembering the brave people who died in a war they never started or wanted, it dignifies war, especially when the Queen and head of government troll up laying wreaths etc.

Those people died (if its in the UK for queen and country. She actually benefits because these deaths keep her throne in tact. If you look at Germany today, despite loosing two world wars that country is thriving, so it makes me mad we dignify that huge tragic loss of lives of our loved ones instead of trying to ensure we don't fight unnecessary wars crown and government think we should sacrifice our lives for. Sorry to be maudlin but it gets me every time because diplomacy gets pushed aside today for profit only.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 02:15 AM
link   

I know! And can you believe we put out American flags to honor them AFTER we've already determined kids can't wear a flag shirt to school because it offends Mexicans! We should be putting Mexican flags out to honor them?

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Memorial Day, it's a somber occasion by those who especially fought in hot wars and family members that have sons and daughters killed or maimed fighting them, others may want to get drunk and burn franks while watching the all important game , but some of us like to reflect on those who are no longer here , are some wars worth fighting?? i'd say yes for the time being until some one declare world peace and all the armies of the world stand down, but I'll leave you with this, the nation's tax payers are just as responsible for wars done on their behalf for better or worst, If the civilian population remains apathetic and don't care where their tax funded men/women at arms went, then yes they are just as responsible as the generals and admirals along with the civilians suits that sent them over there, where ever over there is .

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 03:10 AM
link   

You are on a roll and I am thoroughly
enjoying these threads of amazingly poignant insights.
However...although I absolutely agree with you
and am thrilled with how you are presenting this;
Some will feel mad or empty realizing
what you're saying is probably true.

You are going to cause others to think
uncomfortable but essential thoughts
about how this global Corp rule game works.

In our corner the light of truth has been
forced down far too long for it not to spring back
with a vengeance, and at twice the speed.

edit on 29-5-2016 by UnderKingsPeak because: sp

edit on 29-5-2016 by UnderKingsPeak because: emoji removal systems international

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 03:21 AM
link   
We have ANZAC day here and the same things are said about it too. "It is a day to honour those who served their country" Bull #. I finally went along to one a couple of years ago and it was about that but is was also about having won. The thing is complicated for me as I have Italian parentage (as do 2% of Australians). My grandparents fought on the loosing side. Am I honoring all who served or only those who served on the winning side? Really? Am I honouring my grandparents for fighting for fascism? I'm dead against it and spend a lot of my spare time fighting fascism. I'm glad the Axis lost WWII, but my grandfathers on both sides fought for their country believing they were doing what they had to do, again bull#! They should have stood up against that buffoon and refused to fight for the Italian empire. Should have joined the resistance instead but they went along with the patriotic rhetoric as sheep. One copped a leg injury that left him in discomfort for the rest of his life, do I wave a winner's flag and smile as they march past? So I just keep out of it. But many people don't understand and see it as a lack of patriotism. My kids will have it worse because they have great grandparents who fought against each other.
edit on 29/5/16 by Cinrad because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 04:51 AM
link   

As a US military veteran I'm absolutely sickened by those who find it necessary to politicize everything. This isn't a day to celebrate national conquests, it's a day to honor the heroes, like my grandfather, who gave their lives in defense of their families, homes and heritage.

If you want to turn this discussion into a political debate, that's certainly your right under the First Amendment, but choosing to do so when we should be honoring the fallen is tacky and disrespectful.

Although I will ask the question, assuming we're not all expected to CELEBRATE it, why does anyone except veterans even get the day off?

I don't view Memorial Day as a day of celebration, but rather one of contemplation and respect. It's a day to visit the graves of the fallen, and to honor them for their sacrifice in our defense.

As far as why anyone besides veterans get the day off, please keep in mind that this is a day to remember our fallen veterans. The day to honor our living veterans is called Veteran's Day, which will next be observed on Friday, November 11, 2016.
edit on 29-5-2016 by ReprobateRaccoon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 05:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Cinrad

Interesting perspective. I'm a fellow aussie and have never contemplated this. I do know the Italians saved our economy in the 50's and 60's along with other Europeans that migrated to this country.

I am old enough to know the history of world wars as I am of English decent although I consider myself 'true blue' as my descendants came out in the very early 1800's. Both sides of the family, mother's and father's side fought in the early wars 1 & 2 with honors. I and my brothers and sisters have served. Hence on ANZAC day I remember them all.

But if I had an alternate heritage albeit Italian, German, Japanese I think I would feel comfortable honoring my descendants by either wearing their medals on my right side or just turning up. There were some great heroes on both sides fighting for what they thought was right for their country at the time. Sure there were the aggressors and the defenders. The later turning the tide of the war.

Today both sides walk side by side and the old adage of forgive and forget holds true with a large percentage. I sincerely thank the Italian community for assimilating and assisting Aussies and getting on with each other after the crisis of WW2. I love the rest stop on the Pacific Highway "Little Italy". I stop there often. Great insight at the museum.

Kind regards and all's good for your heritage as far as I'm concerned,

Bally,

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 05:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: SpecialSauce

Memorial day honors those who fought so we would have the freedom to say only politically correct things.

It's for those who died. Started after the Civil War.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 05:37 AM
link   

How we CELEBRATE people killing & getting killed in pursuit of EMPIRE

What ya mean we ? Speak for yourself and not for me in this one. I dont "celebrate" Memorial Day . I remember all the military that paid the ultimate price for our freedom . Today or tomorrow , please dont give me a truckload of BS as I need no fertilizer on my yard.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Some people had no choice in putting on their country's uniform, others did so for the thrill, still others follow the family tradition of service while some just need the job or the ability to learn a trade or get into college after and some, just perceive their country is in need and decide to do their bit.

I don't think any of them can be criticised for exercising their right to do what they feel they need to in this way, and regardless of how one feels about a particular conflict, we do, as a society owe these men and women our gratitude for how they conducted themselves.

Nothing I've seen gets a lump in my throat than seeing ranks of old men, individually just someone's grandads, hobbling along in their regimental blazers with a few campaign medals on their chests...when they wear their old berets and their backs straighten as they approach their memorial....you can see the years fall away and the steel return to their eyes....I'm so glad for them, they earned that moment a thousand times over and just for that day, putting away whatever misgivings you may have about why they had to fight is a tiny little sacrifice in return for what they did.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 05:51 AM
link   
My wife and many other vets I know are spending the day at an American military cemetery in Belgium...

Me I am a little more cynical and angry so I am going to join some friends, drink some beer run, and sing songs while I remember those I have lost in my own way celebrating the time I had with them.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 06:01 AM
link   
I'm sorry, but I have dead relatives, and I will continue to remember them on this day. Some of them were vets. Two of them were vets of WWII, my grandfathers, and I will remember them especially as both were in the Pacific theater, one as a bomber pilot and the other as infantry. Neither job was easy and when we think Pacific, we think Navy, not as much as Army and Air Force.

As for the rest, this is the time to remember all of them too, even the ones who did not fight. They're my roots. I should not forget them.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 07:01 AM
link   
They call it memorial day for a reason..The Young/Brave then and now who sacrifice deserve respect..

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: gladtobehere

This is an agenda and a part of our history which needs to be challenged and exposed.

However, its rarely mentioned due to political correctness and people's "safe spaces".

Our government has embarked on a policy of non-stop wars of aggression since WW2.

From as far back as Korea to current day Syria.

And the men and women who lost their lives did so serving a war-for-profit Military Industrial Complex which is slave to civilian masters controlled by special interests.

If anyone needs to be disarmed, its the US government. From pre-emptive wars of aggression based on lies to overthrowing entire sovereign nations, they should be tried for war crimes and crimes against humanity.

From the Nuremberg trials to the Washington DC trials.

With regards to the men and women who voluntarily served, they should not be proud. The should feel embarrassed and ashamed. They should have some remorse and regret.

"Just following orders" is no excuse. We're educated and mature enough to know that what we've done is horribly wrong and morally reprehensible.

If as Americans, we really want to support our troops, do so by encouraging them to resist as is their right under the Laws of Land Warfare and the Geneva Conventions.

As a veteran it pains me to say I absolutely agree. Obviously I have other veteran friends and this subject is pretty much taboo as they are misguided by their own sense of blind patriotism. If I tried to say this I would be attacked and labeled a communist or some sort of other silly insult. Where is the outrage for the fallen of other countries who were invaded by imperialistic troops and droned and bombed into the stone age. All so the empire can pillage those countries resources or establish central banks backed by we all know who. Where is the outrage? Yet let one American soldier die in a conflict that he or she volunteered for and we are all tears in our beers.

We haven't drafted one soldier since the Vietnam era so essentially modern soldiers are more imperialistic mercenary than actual defender of nation. I knew this when I joined, I was under no delusion of being some great American hero defending my country. I was a foreign invader, a mercenary who wanted money for college. I'm not proud of it but I did what I did to better myself and my situation. Lets be honest people and stop the false "hero worship" . I love my country but not what it has become, I love what it was founded as and meant to be. Lets bring back true freedom fighters and defenders of our beloved constitution, those people I would call hero's not some 18 yr old punk who wants to kill a Haji (their words not mine) and I've heard it said. On numerous occasions I've heard people say they joined so they could kill someone yet I got looked at with crazy eyes if I said I joined for the GI Bill. "Oh your not a patriot,you joined for the wrong reasons" they say and I'm thinking to myself "you poor dumb bastards you don't even know what your truly going to war for".

So go ahead people and keep telling yourselves that your defending freedom and your country and all that happy feel good crap, some of us know the truth but don't talk about it for fear of upsetting the beer swilling, flag waving mouth breathers. God bless MURICA and no place else!!!!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join