It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gospel of Pistis Sophia (Faith in Wisdom)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 09:05 PM
link   
The book called Pistis Sophia that I call a Gospel because it features Christ, the Apostles and Mary Magdalene as well as the chronicles of Sophia. It is Cosmogonic as well as having great dialogue between the Saviour and his most prominent disciples.

Mary Magdalene is the most eager to learn dominating the lessons with questions to the point Peter complains at which point Christ tells Peter to relax, more or less.

Christ goes on to teach Mysteries, the regions of the invisible, the Treasury of Light and the Light World.

Then seated on the Mount of Olives a great light descends on Jesus surrounding him entirely, he ascends into heaven leaving the powers confused and the earth quaking.

Descending once more showing the nature of his Glory he tells about how the Vesture of Light was sent unto him and the incarnation of their souls as well as John the Baptist.

He then explains the mystery of how John was Elijah and his own incarnation through Mary. After some more Cosmogony Mary Magdalene speaks an interpretation of the discourse in the book of Isaiah earning the commendation of Christ. Philip questions him and he explains why the path of the aeons was changed.

Melchizedek's coming is then discussed and then Adamas and the fight against the tyrants of the light-vesture and then begins the story of Sophia. What follows is a long fascinating tale about the impure creation of the Demiurge and Sophia's adventures navigating the Pleroma full of hostile spirits with help from Michael and Gabriel interwoven with dialogue between Christ and the disciples and even the Virgin Mother.

It is a long book but if you enjoy reading about Christ and his disciples and creation myths you will enjoy this book that offers probably the most detailed of all the creation myths of the ancient world and compared to the Bible's creation myth it is enormous.

And you get to listen to Christ and co. just kicking it waxing existential and philosophical like teacher and class away from the hostility of Jerusalem. No major drama just imagine being one of the disciples on the Mount and listening to the teachings of the Christ.

That is the Pistis Sophiawhich you can read if you wish now.

I highly recommend it IF you like such things.

God bless the World.
edit on 28-5-2016 by Parazurvan because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-5-2016 by Parazurvan because: FIXED LINK SORRY!!

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   
From the Wiki page

Pistis Sophia has been preserved in a single Coptic MS., a quarto of 346 pages, written in the Thebaic dialect. This "Askew Codex" was purchased by the British Museum (now British Library) in 1795 from Anthony Askew. It has no general title, and begins without any inscription, but is divided into four sections or books, of which the second, third, and fourth, bear separate titles. The second is inscribed secundus tomos pisteos sofias (p. 126, ed. Schwartze) [second tome of the Pistis Sophia], the third and fourth Meros teuchon soteros[in English?] (pp. 252 and 357). The two first of these sections or books treat, for the most part, of the Pistis Sophia (pp. 43-181). The fourth book, which is defective, presents a simpler and older form of Gnostic doctrine, and was the work perhaps of a different author. It describes Jesus as, immediately after his resurrection, making himself known as the Redeemer to his disciples, and instructing them in the mysteries. The three first books relate, on the other hand, how Jesus gives the disciples a course of instruction for eleven years subsequent to his resurrection, and then ascends to heaven, whence, after completing his redeeming work, he returns to them once more and gives them the last and highest teachings concerning the supersensuous world, the middle kingdom, the under-world, and about the fates of the Pistis Sophia, and of individual human souls. In the fourth book, Jesus is described as standing, after his resurrection, at an altar on the shore of the ocean, surrounded by disciples, men and women, clothed in white linen raiment. At his command, retire to his left hand, towards the west, the Aeons, the sphaira, the Archontes, with their dynameis, and the whole world. Jesus and his disciples then take their place in medio topo aerino, on the way of the midst (via medii) underneath the sphaira. He proceeds to instruct them concerning the significance and operation of the Archontes of the way of the midst, their binding by Jeu, and the tortures to which sinful souls are exposed from the five evil Archontes in the regions of the air, and also concerning the deliverance of the souls out of their power by the planetary spirits. At the prayer of the disciples that he would save them from those torments, Jesus takes them to a mountain in Galilee, while the Archontes return to their former place. Jesus bids them bring fire and branches of trees, and then, amid mystic prayers, offers the Eucharist (the mysterion aletheias baptismatos) for their atonement. Here follows in the text a lacuna of several pages. But it is evident that meanwhile Jesus has betaken himself with his disciples into the lower world, and there depicts to them the various fates of souls after death, their torments in Orcus, their palingenesiai,[in English?] and also the conditions under which souls which have found the mysteries and done their penance, will be raised into the thesauros luminis.[in English?] Until the discovery of the Nag Hammadi library in 1945, the Askew Codex was one of three codices that contained almost all of the Gnostic writings that had survived the suppression of such literature both in East and West, the other two codices being the Bruce Codex and the Berlin Codex. Aside from these primary sources, everything written about Gnosticism before the Nag Hammadi library became available is based on quotes, characterizations, and caricatures in the writings of the enemies of Gnosticism. The purpose of these heresiological writings was polemical, presenting Gnostic teachings as absurd, bizarre, and self-serving, and as an aberrant heresy from a proto-orthodox and orthodox Christian standpoint.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Cool. Before the Nag Hammadi scriptures were found this was one of the few surviving "Gnostic" scriptures.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

It goes a long way towards proving the heresiologists were liars. Nothing negative at all in this tradition.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Parazurvan

I read this book when I first gave up on mainstream Christianity. It inspired me to start reading more scripture and although I am not a Christian anymore I still like Christ.

The Gnostic Gospels gave me what I was looking for. Christ without Christianity.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Szarah

I read this book when I first gave up on mainstream Christianity. It inspired me to start reading more scripture and although I am not a Christian anymore I still like Christ.

The Gnostic Gospels gave me what I was looking for. Christ without Christianity.

I hear that. The Way is the Kingdom of God.

I just combine the scriptures of every religion and consider them all variations of the same ancient Wisdom.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 02:40 AM
link   
I wander is there anything about Jesus in India, as so many equally Indian yogis as well as the western psychics say, you may see more; Jesus in India
edit on 29-5-2016 by Suanna because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Reading about the Gnostics lead me to where i am now.

Keep going, there's much more which in return will lead to less, and the answer you're looking for.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 06:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Suanna

The acts of Thomas has Jesus sending Thomas, his twin, to India and Thomas adventures in.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 06:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: awareness10

Reading about the Gnostics lead me to where i am now.

Keep going, there's much more which in return will lead to less, and the answer you're looking for.

Thanks brother!

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   

You're welcome Sister! minus the S/F

edit on 5/29/2016 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 07:40 AM
link   

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 07:45 AM
link   

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 08:25 AM
link   

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link