It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"My God! It's Full of Galaxies!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: ausername

It's all about three times further from us (as a measurement of real distance, due to the Hubble constant), and most of those proto-galaxies are all grown up and have moved out of the basement?

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: FrankPoster
a reply to: Sublimecraft

"Praise the LORD for creating all of this just for us...We are alone"

I believe in God but your supposition is in all probability nonsense.

Just because the Bible does not mention other civilisations does not mean that they don't exist.

The bible does not mention light bulbs but they exist. The bible does not mention spacecraft but they exist. The bible may, or may not, be God's word according to what you may believe, but whichever, it merely highlights to humans some things that they could understand at that point in time when the texts were written.

In my humble view it's completely ludicrous and actually un-Christian to be so arrogant and think that God created billions or trillions of planets but only have one with people in His image.

There's a line "My house has many rooms" when referring to civilisation.

Did that mean many continents (Africa, America, Australia) or planets ?

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: MarsIsRed

Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space.
en.wikiquote.org...

and Some where Out there... in ( Some ) Galaxy Far Far Away
there is a Civilization type 3 out there... looking back at us as some Insect ..

Aliens for sure.. upon the billions of Galaxy's..

we cant even fathom, as we dont even understand what we got in our own galaxy.
from a Civilization type 0 that came just recently from playing with Sticks and Stones ..
( In a Scale ) of the so called 250,000 years Modern man been on the planet ...

Advanced complex LIFE IS ELSE Where .. in the Universe...

might as well believe the Imagination of Science Fiction and Fantasy ..

from the Minds of Authors... ( It just came to me, in a Dream!!! )
just perhaps .. a Quantum Entanglement Communication Telepathy.. from out there..

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

originally posted by: All Seeing Eye

I'm sure you noticed that each and everyone of those Galaxies has its own unique angular placement. That would indicate to me that each one, has a unique genesis. And by observation, I would say, there was never any "Big Bang". Just a whole lot of little ones

Yeah, but galaxies have been merging with and cannibalizing other galaxies since galaxies existed. The gravitational forces involved with this intermixing will cause the resultant galaxy to be aligned in a different way than prior to the merging.

We can see that early galaxies were smaller and more amorphous. The larger spirals were not created directly by the big bang, but rather got their shapes and alignments due to the merging of the early smaller galaxies.

I agree with your assumption that they have been bouncing into each other, some, that is. Though I wouldn't blame gravity so quickly.

The galactic spirals, regardless of alignment appear to spiral as one see's when they add creamer to their coffee and stir it in.. As though they reside in a "Liquid".

I'm not suggesting the void in space is actually black coffee and the galaxies the creamer, but one can see a parallel.

Deeper thinking will ultimately lead one into exploring where they all came from. And I happen to agree with those who have made the assumption that it must have been intelligent design. For all matter from what ever station it happens to be, from galaxies to planet's to us peeps, it all had to come from somewhere.

And, because Galaxies are separated from one another (Generally Speaking, and with exceptions) they must have had a unique genesis. Now until someone shows me a Galaxy Factory (Galaxies R Us)floating about in space, the obvious assumption, conclusion must be, they "Self Aspired". And most likely, retain a form of contact with where they came from. Ethereal, Dark Matter, Dark Energy, Divinity, God, The Spirit realm, or any other name you wish to use to describe where it all came from. It just doesn't matter one little bit, in the long run.

Which came first, the Galaxy, or the intelligence? All I know is the bridge, the building, the automobile, must be designed, before the first bolt is turned, or the first brick is laid. And any design, must be designed, using intelligence.

For me, though a fascinating subject, is only a side issue, a diversion, to why we are all here to begin with. If only 1/10 of the intellectual power that is used to ponder the origins of the universe were redirected to our present plight on this planet, there would be no war, no hunger, no wasted lives, no greed.

Such a world is attainable, and I assume, on its way.... The only thing at this point in time I should really consider is, am I worthy to live in such a world............. And my answer is, time will tell......

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: All Seeing Eye

Well, 99.99% of the world aren't physicists. I'm pretty sure we can spare 10 in 1000 to think about cosmology. Most of our problems here on Earth will not be solved with logic or common sense, anyway, or they already would have been solved.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: 0zzymand0s

Most of our problems here on Earth will not be solved with logic or common sense, anyway, or they already would have been solved.
Thanks for the reply.

So what your saying is, logic and common sense are not being practiced? Looking at the state of science, I would have to agree.

What in your opinion would? Another global war to kill all the bad guys? Either the world is running exactly as planned, or it has run astray from its original design. Not much room in between.

But I do see your position on another level. If it is running as planned then it is up to us to resolve any differences. If it has run astray, then it is up to another "Agency", to correct the errors.

One simple answer would be, to just stop playing the game with the rules that were supplied. And maybe for once, start using logic and common sense...... But im sure my logic is behind the times.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

Thanks for the great thread 👍

You said "wouldn't it be wonderful to be able to explore those galaxies"

Well it's not 'quite' the same, but there's a new game coming out soon called No Man's Sky, where you're able to explore infinite galaxies and planets 👍

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 12:25 AM
link   
a reply to: All Seeing Eye

I have no idea where your logic is. Your post seems to imply that you distrust science? Why is that?

The problem with solving all the worlds problems BEFORE we start thinking about the big picture is that you need both if you want to survive, as a species. We simply can't go on consuming at an ever increasing (more profitable?) rate if we are resigned to living within a finite space; the math doesn't hold up. All that would accomplish is more fight for an ever dwindling piece of the action, and that isn't going to go well for anyone here.

You seem to believe that we have all the time in the world to sort out our differences, and an endless supply of resources to do it with. Nothing is further from the truth. Forget global climate change, we are going to boil our oceans off in less than three centuries due to waste heat, --generated as a consequence of our current rate of manufacturing and consumption. Game over.

The problem is that our physicists are ill-suited the job of reforming our social order. They just aren't wired to chase cats in circles over intangibles like "feelings," "pride," or "justice." They are, however, uniquely wired and trained to solve problems where some of the variables are known and can be proven through observation or experiment. You can't falsify nationalism, or race relations. If you could, it would have already been done.

Eventually, we will all have to overcome our intense need to pick a side and worship one team over another, but if the pale blue dot didn't do that for us, cosmology probably won't provide a universal impetus. Some of that work will have to be done by the players themselves.

In the meantime: scientists are needed to crunch the numbers and explain big, complex ideas. It doesn't matter whether you "believe" them or not.
edit on 31-5-2016 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 12:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornShucker

originally posted by: wildespace
I wonder if anyone is ever going to catalogue all these galaxies.

For $100, I'll name one for you or a relative and send you a freshly printed certificate of authenticity and a coupon good for 25% off the beautifully bound hardback of new listings for 2016 when available.

NOTICE & DISCLAIMER: The above is only TiC humor directed at the "Name a Star" scam that I am amazed is still allowed to remain in business.

I don't think there are enough words in the human language to give each galaxy a unique name, are there?

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Wow! That photo you posted is much clearer than anything I've seen thus far. It's hard to imagine that even the smallest, faintest points of light are actual GALAXIES...but they are!

Does anyone know of a source to get this photo as Wall Paper for a computer monitor?

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 12:41 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

If we use all the human languages, and mix n' match for effect, we could probably do it. We'd better get crackin' though. If we name 100 galaxies per second we can wrap this thing up by lunch-time, --midway through the next big-bang. I'll buy the beer.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 12:44 AM
link   

That is amazing..but you're right on target, Ozzymand0s. I think the companies who charge $10 to "name a star" after someone you care about, are missing the boat. A Galaxy is worth much more than a mere "star", don't cha think?

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 02:05 AM
link   

I have no idea where your logic is. Your post seems to imply that you distrust science? Why is that?
Short answer is that in grade school they tried to teach me that planets hold their position because of gravity, and centrifugal force. I didn't buy it then, and I don't buy it now. But now, I have far more information to use to discredit the present institution of science.

Long answer, I don't trust certain "Political" groups within the scientific community. Some argue the corruption within the institution of science is purely driven by either greed or incompetence, but completely miss the unseen force, covert political motive. Hidden agenda. Many a good scientist fall victim to this, for lack of better words, con job. They build their entire view of the universe on unfounded and actually ludicrous assumptions. One piled on top of the other. Then they sit back and wonder why the experiment didn't work.

The problem with solving all the worlds problems BEFORE we start thinking about the big picture is that you need both if you want to survive
Both big pictures is exactly right! And that is the problem, we are not allowed, scientifically that is, to ponder the "Other" Big picture.

You seem to believe that we have all the time in the world to sort out our differences, and an endless supply of resources to do it with. Nothing is further from the truth. Forget global climate change, we are going to boil our oceans off in less than three centuries due to waste heat, --generated as a consequence of our current rate of manufacturing and consumption. Game over.
I know the Earth is running out of time, didn't know it was 300 years. I see the end having more to do with earth quakes than with manufacturing, but non the less I am concerned either way.

You can't falsify nationalism, or race relations. If you could, it would have already been done.
You watch Fox News much?

In the meantime: scientists are needed to crunch the numbers and explain big, complex ideas. It doesn't matter whether you "believe" them or not.
Einstein once said, "if you cant explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough". Personally, I think Einsteins real genius was in his Quotes, not his math.

You are right though, it doesn't matter one little bit, what I believe. In the end, we will all be in the same place.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Does anyone know if there are videos of galactic events online?

In our galaxy, it takes about 225-250 million years to complete one journey around the galaxy’s center, so I don't think we would be able to see it spin if we watched it on a video, but I was wondering if maybe we can observe movement in some other galaxies on a video.

For example are there any movies/video of 2 galaxies colliding? Or one simply moving? Anybody know?

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 03:14 AM
link   
a reply to: nOraKat

We've only been recording what we see for a few decades and galactic-scale events occur over millennia and more. All I can think of are the simulations they upload on space.com. They're fantastic to watch even if they're not what you're asking for.

Fancy-ass simulation of galaxies

Some of the time-lapse films of the Milky Way look great too. Again, not what you're asking.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 03:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: nOraKat
Does anyone know if there are videos of galactic events online?

In our galaxy, it takes about 225-250 million years to complete one journey around the galaxy’s center, so I don't think we would be able to see it spin if we watched it on a video, but I was wondering if maybe we can observe movement in some other galaxies on a video.

For example are there any movies/video of 2 galaxies colliding? Or one simply moving? Anybody know?

No, those kinds of events are too slow for us to notice, even if we filmed them over the course of a century. What we did manage to "film" was supernovae flashing up and dimming in other galaxies:

www.youtube.com...

The only noticeable movement in deep space was only filmed in our own galaxy, such as expanding supernova remnants or jets from planet formation:

www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I wonder how many of those galaxies, that has planets, with habitants, with their own hubbles, looking at our 'hood, with milky way being one of those lights.

amazing!

s+f

Makes you really wonder.
What IS it?!

What is existence? What is time, who created it, who created that - who is who?
Where are we? What is "where"? What is "it"?

I do know that we, humans, are the universe experiencing itself. But what created the universe.. and if it always was, what were before that?
Nothing? but when did nothing happen. And what who why what who when where

ARRGGHH!!! Every time I think of that, I feel like Im gonna implode or something.
hehe.

edit on 31-5-2016 by alienDNA because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Who could possibly think that in all that there is no other life, i mean come on i guess almost anywhere you point hubble it will generate a similar image.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Also i forgot to say thanks for this post

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: lucagt1

This post makes no sense. There is no 'logic' about being alone or not taken from the idea of 'trillions and trillions' of galaxies.

It's about three things.
1. Time synch. We have to meet up at the same time, with our processes running at about the same rate.

2. We are forever constrained to the 'space' that comprises our 'Local Group' where gravitationally bound systems are, well, bound. The fabric of space-time is expanding and at the distant locations, it (not a thing but space-time itself) is expanding at faster than C. We could start to try to visit outside our Local Group but we'd never 'get there'.

3. It's about density. If there are trillions of sentient species 'out there', but they're spread over the entire 'sphere' of the observable Universe, then that is STILL not dense - it's so sparse that they all might as well be alone.

For example, if you are on Earth and there are 10 other 'people' all spread out on the planet and you have to walk or take a rowboat to try to meet up, what is the chance you will meet any of them in your lifetime. Virtually none, especially if they are all 'moving' from the first point. It's very sparse - a 'desert'. Likewise a Universe with a diameter of 92 billion LY is virtually a desert even with billions of sentients scattered around. You're talking orders of magnitude.

The volume of the Universe is: ‎4×10e80 cubic meters.

1x10e9 sentient species (most of whom will remain planet-bound) vs 1x10e80 cubic meters. Even if there were a quadrillion sentient species at some time in the past 13.7 billion years, that's still 10e15 species vs 10e80 cubic meters volume. A desert.

HTH

edit on 31-5-2016 by Maverick7 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join