It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"My God! It's Full of Galaxies!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Absolutely! That's the best part. But you don't need to wait for that feeling. You can have it right now. If our Hubble volume is stretched over an impossibly large sphere, along with the rest, it could contain trillions or more Hubble volumes within the sphere itself, and still be "flat" within .0002% or so.

Even better? There is no violation of relativity when a theoretical Hubble volume is created inside the event horizon of a black hole, and expands, via inflation to create another near infinite "space." How badass is that?

Like a gallon jug of milk, with an ocean inside it.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Apologies, but please freaking take a look at this image again. Countless galaxies, each its own "island universe" of stars, nebulae, planets, and perhaps some living beings... And here they are, like sand grains on the beach:

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace
I wonder if anyone is ever going to catalogue all these galaxies.

For $100, I'll name one for you or a relative and send you a freshly printed certificate of authenticity and a coupon good for 25% off the beautifully bound hardback of new listings for 2016 when available.

NOTICE & DISCLAIMER: The above is only TiC humor directed at the "Name a Star" scam that I am amazed is still allowed to remain in business.

Staying on topic... It is work like that shown in the OP that I believe should justify a program to avoid the coming descent and destruction of the Hubble. Planned obsolescence should not apply to a tool of science that has (and continues to) done so much to expand our knowledge of the universe. They didn't shut down the Mars rovers Spirit and Opportunity at the end of their projected mission lifespans, neither our Voyager craft. Allowing Hubble to fall to earth should only come after all alternatives have been exhausted.
edit on 5 30 2016 by CornShucker because: spelling

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

"Praise the LORD for creating all of this just for us...We are alone"

I believe in God but your supposition is in all probability nonsense.

Just because the Bible does not mention other civilisations does not mean that they don't exist.

The bible does not mention light bulbs but they exist. The bible does not mention spacecraft but they exist. The bible may, or may not, be God's word according to what you may believe, but whichever, it merely highlights to humans some things that they could understand at that point in time when the texts were written.

In my humble view it's completely ludicrous and actually un-Christian to be so arrogant and think that God created billions or trillions of planets but only have one with people in His image.
edit on 30-5-2016 by FrankPoster because: clarification

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
Space is big.
Really, really big.

Phage, I think your statement might be an understatement, by 1/2.

I'm sure you noticed that each and everyone of those Galaxies has its own unique angular placement. That would indicate to me that each one, has a unique genesis. And by observation, I would say, there was never any "Big Bang". Just a whole lot of little ones

And, if they are unique to themselves, each one may posses, its own "Physics" laws. Whats applicable in one, may not entirely be applicable to another. Just as in the human population itself. The "DNA" of the universe.......

So, when science gets around to creating another form of math to try and stuff the universe size into, remember, to X 2 at the end.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: 0zzymand0s

Absolutely! That's the best part. But you don't need to wait for that feeling. You can have it right now. If our Hubble volume is stretched over an impossibly large sphere, along with the rest, it could contain trillions or more Hubble volumes within the sphere itself, and still be "flat" within .0002% or so.

You're still making boundaries. Okay so the next question I have is what direction is the new deep field taken? The opposite direction, at right angles or what?

I can't place boundaries on something I haven't seen. What I have seen is every time they see further its always the same. I think if they placed another telescope on the furthest galaxy dot in either pic and looked still further in the same direction they would still see more of the same.

We have finally begun to see what is actually meant by infinity and eternity. It goes on forever, it has always been there.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: nOraKat

When it showed him the "You Are Here" marker, Zaphod correctly interpreted the Vortex as simply telling him that he was the most important being in the universe.

Tilt. No more important than any other person in the Universe, all of which are one of a kind, totally unique, and as important or not as anyone else.

How does it feel to be that precious?

.. but in this case, he correctly interpreted that he was the most important being in the universe since it was an artificial universe specially created for his benefit (thus making him the most important being in it). Thus, he was able to escape alive and even eat the cake that the device modeled the universe with.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: nOraKat

Well okay, except "this case" is a book (one of the best) but still just ideas. My counter was that in a universe of singularly one of a kind special beings, nobody is more important than anyone else.

We are all equally one of a kind precious.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Maybe. But no one has formulated a theory for that which fits with the math. It would be cool if they did though. I'm all for it.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   

As far as the distant hypothetical: I would fully expect that to be the case. Remember, we see a certain distance backwards in "time" because that is how long we have since inflation for the light to travel to our optics. A hypothetical Hubble telescope, 6.5 billion light years in any direction from earth would "see" 6.5 billion years further than ours. Our current understanding of cosmology says its VERY likely that telescope would see distant proto-galaxies at the limits of their optics as well. It's simply a function of the speed of light.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Basically, as it stands right now, everything you see is in the past. You cannot see anything that is in in the 'present'.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Its not mathematic, but how bout this…

If you could stretch your arm out, reach past the atmosphere, the moon, the stars… past our galaxy, past all the galaxies we can see, what barrier would your hand come up against? And if it did, what is outside that? And that?

No matter how many walls, bubbles, etc we can ascribe and limit ourselves too, there is always going to be an outside that continuum. Thats what is meant by infinity and eternity. No matter how many multi barriers or multi verses, they are in the Universe.

We put the barriers there in our mind to place limits. Because from our perspective here in space and time, the third dimension, whathaveyou, we can't wrap our mind around the idea that space goes on forever.

The electromagnetic spectrum is open ended, time is open ended, space is too.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: All Seeing Eye

I'm sure you noticed that each and everyone of those Galaxies has its own unique angular placement. That would indicate to me that each one, has a unique genesis. And by observation, I would say, there was never any "Big Bang". Just a whole lot of little ones

Yeah, but galaxies have been merging with and cannibalizing other galaxies since galaxies existed. The gravitational forces involved with this intermixing will cause the resultant galaxy to be aligned in a different way than prior to the merging.

We can see that early galaxies were smaller and more amorphous. The larger spirals were not created directly by the big bang, but rather got their shapes and alignments due to the merging of the early smaller galaxies.

edit on 2016-5-30 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Remember, we see a certain distance backwards in "time" because that is how long we have since inflation for the light to travel to our optics.

We only see that far because thats how far our optics have developed. But think back to Galileo discovering the moons of Jupiter and realizing that the current theory was mud?

We are mud, too. We have only what we have discovered to go on.

But, so faaar… every time we see deeper we see the same thing. Endless, boundless space… filled with matter and light. Bound by the same laws as we have here.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

But what if the end of a galaxy is a super sized black hole and what we call "Quasars", the super nova of Galactic black holes and birth of new galaxies?

Then we have it all… life, death and birth of galaxies.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   

I can find little or nothing to disagree with here. There is no barrier. The distance from earth in all directions to the opaque "wall" of background microwave radiation is a function of time, not space. Current thinking in physics accepts this, and -- indeed refers to the "sphere" in which we perceive our visible universe as a Hubble volume. There is no wall, nor is there an "outside." Nevertheless -- there are billions of "Hubble volumes" within the theoretical multiverse, and most of them overlap one another. This is because the limit to how far backwards in time one can see when looking outward from any particular place is limited by the speed of light.

The part that blew my mind was this: we can see roughly 13.7 billion years backwards in time in any direction, but what we are seeing is already very old news, as the objects we are looking at have moved away from us at the speed of the Hubble constant and are now roughly 46.5 billion light years (distance) from us.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   
When I think about these things... I get to think about space and time, two of so many things in life we don't really comprehend in its fully dimension, I belief. It's the ying-yang: yes we're such an small part of the universe... so little..... but at the same time, so important, don't you think? What if all the 'possible others' is just us? where were we before we were born? and after we die? we don't exist, but still, some parts of us.... the power of love, belief, empathy and understanding... it's almost (the ying-yang again) infinite, like us. Big hugs people!
edit on 30-5-2016 by nouser because: (no reason given)

PD. There's a reason why I believe this: I feel this. And not only I feel this but I'm really concerned by the fact that believing something like this would bring back peace (back from times we didn't exist). I know it sounds messed up, maybe, but in time I will explain it better.
edit on 30-5-2016 by nouser because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   

The part that blew my mind was this: we can see roughly 13.7 billion years backwards in time in any direction, but what we are seeing is already very old news, as the objects we are looking at have moved away from us at the speed of the Hubble constant and are now roughly 46.5 billion light years (distance) from us.

So thats the 'age' of the 'known' Universe… for now. Given the constants and all.

We are so baby step comparatively. Voyager one is only 17 light hours out.

Well, as of this writing...

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace
Apologies, but please freaking take a look at this image again. Countless galaxies, each its own "island universe" of stars, nebulae, planets, and perhaps some living beings... And here they are, like sand grains on the beach:

You're looking way, way back in time.

What does it look like now?

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   

I only have one quibble: it is simply the age (size?) of our observable universe, from our position here in Earth.

But I am not a relativist. While I wholeheartedly agree that the multiverse is likely infinite, or near enough to infinite, I don not believe it is done "growing."

New regions of inflation are likely popping up daily, and each of those are well on their way to creating even more (near) infinity. I find that very comforting, to be honest.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join