It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gabby Giffords Brings Fake Speech Impediment on the Road for Hillary Clinton

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

Just want to make sure you realize you are arguing with yourself now. : )

You have a nice evening.

Oh, and good luck debating with AB. You're going to need it.

edit on 5/28/2016 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

You are only a hairs-breadth away from the full accusation that she is actually faking the problems she has with language.

No, I'm not. I clearly have acknowledged it.

So where is your proof that she is a terribly person?

Where is my accusation of this?

Did she do this sort of thing before the brain injury?

She was a member of congress before the fact, so yes there might be just a bit of bias.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99
a reply to: Nyiah

Sorry your comparison is quite ignorant.

Hemophilia and cuts?

First off hemophilia is not a fear it's a condition. Why would a hemophiliac fear a cut? Well that is an obvious answer.

Hemophilia cannot happen to an individual through brain damage, however autistic conditions CAN happen through brain damage.

Please, shut up. Before you regret attracting the attention of our members who actually have autism, or family with it.
The ones that know about it would agree with me. I don't fear their attention at all.

You completely missed my point. Autism & Hemophilia = distinct conditions. Brain injury & a cut = injuries. My point was comparing apples and oranges, because you're trying to shoe-horn one into the other's category in the first place. A naturally miswired brain is not the same as a re-wired brain after a traumatic, organ-damaging injury resulting in swaths of tissue destroyed. Why the hell are you clinging to this falsehood?

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

Meh, good night.

Glad you made some clear points...

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Because it's not a falsehood?

Why are individuals with brain trauma allowed to attend autistic camps?

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Well it seems easy to discredit doesn't it?

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Do you know what a strawman argument is?

Check out no. 4 and see if anything looks familiar.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I know we've had a discussion before about the things you share and how you're just 'the messenger' but come on xuenchen, this type of thing really needs to not be shared. You just end up giving the creator views and ad revenue from the links.

It's really, really despicable that someone would accuse a person who was shot in the head with faking the results of that shooting.

There's no reason to share this, we should let ideas like this just die in the empty parts of the internet.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 09:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Do you expect to have any credibility after this trashy hatchet job?

Almost as bad as Trump mocking the reporter with a disability.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 28-5-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: links234

Freedom of suppression is the way to stop these things?

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Looked at it.

Now you answer me why people with brain trauma are allowed to attend an autistic camp.

I mean, they aren't autistic afterall, right?

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

Where is my accusation of this?

If you say that someone is faking (i.e. playing up) something to get sympathy, you are speaking to their character, are you not? You are saying they are basically lying to get something they want.

So if you say Ms. Giffords is faking something to get sympathy, you are directly speaking to HER character. You are claiming she is lying in order to get something she wants.

You can "feel" that she is and "think" that she is based on your personal experiences, but you have no objective proof of it. That's what I'm saying.

(Stepping outside the thread for a moment...)

I would suggest, also, in all seriousness, if you are to be a counsellor at an autism camp, please do not assume someone is simply faking not being able to do something so they can get sympathy and have an easier time. Neurological problems are tricky - they can be a little better some days than other days. Don't believe me? Look it up. It's true. One day a participant may be rockin' it on following directions, the next day they may look hazed over and not seem to understand, or get frustrated easily.

You will have people melting down and throwing tantrums if you don't clearly assess where they are at at any given time, and either ask a bit more of them or back-off based on that assessment. Also, if they are starting to freeze up or get upset, do not continue to push them. Give them space to calm down, then patiently work through what they need to do.

I'm not saying let tantruming control what you ask of someone, but instead, step back and let the storm pass, then gently re-engage. I know there will be some people who try to manipulate you. But not everyone on the spectrum does that, and certainly not all the time. Heck, TYPICAL kids? Have you paid attention to what they do to gain sympathy and get out of things???? Don't put people with autism in some sort of special "class" of manipulators.

Anyway - good luck with it. (My son was given a free week at camp to "train" counsellors for several summers - he was chosen because he could put them through their paces, as he is an extremely complex individual!)
edit on 28-5-2016 by AboveBoard because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Looked at it.

Now you answer me why people with brain trauma are allowed to attend an autistic camp.

That's not the point of the thread....the point is the OP is mocking the speech of someone shot in the head and her speech impediment because of it....

and you are basically doing the same thing with your strawman deflection BS.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I don't think we'll ever stop ridiculous and cruel ideas from forming but we can limit them. We can ignore them and give them no credence. When you share things like this though, your giving the creator another outlet, another source of revenue that isn't deserved.

They don't deserve the publicity you give them.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

So easy, in fact, that if you'd thought for a moment before posting it, perhaps even googled something, you wouldn't have needed to pollute ATS with the thread...

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Looked at it.

I assume money and open beds is why there allowed.

The medical treatment is very different. My son took seriquil and or ability my wife took tryliptal and or lithium.

You have no business counciling for people with autism with your negative view of them. I fear for the people in your care.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 10:17 PM
link   

So if you say Ms. Giffords is faking something to get sympathy, you are directly speaking to HER character. You are claiming she is lying in order to get something she wants.

She is a person with political influence, so yes I will ALWAYS be skeptical. Brain injury or not, if you look at any of her speeches since the incident she does just fine. That is basically control of your neurological function when you need to be in control of it. The fact she has zero slip-ups during speeches tells me well enough that she is in control of it. Slip ups are just that, uncontrolled mistakes. There are zero recorded slip-ups of her.

I would suggest, also, in all seriousness, if you are to be a counsellor at an autism camp, please do not assume someone is simply faking not being able to do something so they can get sympathy and have an easier time.

I won't be, and though this will be my first camp I've been given signs to look for. Trust me I'm a sympathiser and would normally go for the attitude of sympathy towards them and trying to make them happy, but you know damn well yourself you can't do that. It's going to be an interesting week.

You will have people melting down and throwing tantrums if you don't clearly assess where they are at at any given time, and either ask a bit more of them or back-off based on that assessment. Also, if they are starting to freeze up or get upset, do not continue to push them. Give them space to calm down, then patiently work through what they need to do.

I was told there is no manual for this and I will experience it for sure, and I need to get a senior counselor ASAP when these situations occur. It's my first retreat and before the guy working for me came into my life I had no experience with autism. It's a challenge I was asked to participate in and one I think would be a great learning experience on both ends.

Don't put people with autism in some sort of special "class" of manipulators.

I really don't. I just have been told to beware because they can and will do it when they know they can. I'm the new counselor this year, and especially being a boys counselor I've been told that if they don't like me they won't listen. I don't know how to approach that.

Anyway - good luck with it. (My son was given a free week at camp to "train" counsellors for several summers - he was chosen because he could put them through their paces, as he is an extremely complex individual!)

Any advice you could gather from your son and PM me would be great! PM only though please.

I'm scared to be a counselor in this camp. It kinda fell on my lap to volunteer and I got approved.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Looked at it.

At the risk of further derailment...

Some camps are not "autism specific" and cover both autism and brain injury. There are other camps that are "autism specific" that do not allow any other disabilities. Some camps lump these together, DESPITE their differences.

There are other camps NOT for people with autism, that are billed as "brain injury" specific - because there is a difference.

Breckenridge Outdoor Education Center - Brain Injury Camp

Same facility:
Breckenridge Outdoor Education Center - Camp for Sensory Processing and Autism

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   
This thread has veered far off topic. I'm out.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   

I'm scared to be a counselor in this camp. It kinda fell on my lap to volunteer and I got approved.

Don't worry, you're going to do a great job. You're a smart dude, sounds like you're doing your homework in advance so you will know as best you can what to expect.

Just go into it with an open heart and an open mind and I guarantee you learn just as much from them as they do from you.

Best of luck!

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join