It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump tells California 'there is no drought'

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 11:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: visitedbythem
Yeah. Hopefully you're right. El Nino is waning though.

Too many people and too much agriculture in a region prone to drought.

You nailed it all a person has to do is ride around California for a couple of days and look at the scale of the Agricultural going on there and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that they're demanding way more water than what the area could ever naturally supply ......they have built huge Orchards and plantations on land that was probably semi-arid and now they're demanding huge quantities of water to make these trees and plants grow there's no way you can supply all the water for all of that agriculture without taking it from somewhere else it looks to me like these farmers are continually expanding and demanding more and more water but that's just from my observations of riding through there I can see the expansion taking place.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 11:57 PM
link   
The whole thing has been to make resources scarce and to protect an imported fish no less!

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 12:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

They don't own the water under their land?

"Under" their land, Phage? They will tell you they do, of course.

The aquifer is only endangered by their practices, tens of millions depend on it, not just almond, alfalfa and cotton mega corp.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 12:07 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

They will tell you they do, of course.

So does the law, apparently.

I'm not saying that it's right that they pump it dry. Just that it's theirs to do so with, with no need to be sneaky about it.

Reminder:

Hard to spot, they do it secretly, disguising it, but there should be enormous fines when caught.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Okay, not of by and for the people, how much is enough? You know as well as I they will pump it till they are stopped or it runs dry.

LA Times

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Which ever way the wind blows. He says whatever is expedient in that moment more than any "establishment" politician in history and he actually believes it because after all, Donald Trump said it, therefore it must be 100% factual. It's all about the Donald. He cares nothing about you. He cares nothing about the "silent majority". Yet they will vote for him in droves. However, the real majority are rational, smarter and stronger and The Donald will get smoked whether it's Hillary, Bernie or a Libertarian.
#LoserTrump

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   
One of the posters here mentioned that California historically undergoes dry, drought-like periods, but that it always recovers. And that’s true. If you checkout historical records it’s clear the weather patterns are cyclic with wet years, average years and dry years. I believe there was a serious dry spell in Calif back in the late 70’s where there was water rationing statewide. I live in So Calif (Redondo Beach/LA South Bay) where very little rainfall is the norm - a good thunderstorm is a novelty around here. The LA Basin is naturally a semi-desert climate. Our greatest threats during a serious drought cycle come in the form of wildfires and water shortages due to our sources (groundwater, Colorado River/Lake Mead, Sierra snowpack) drying up.

Anyway, while Calif is no stranger to droughts, the one we’ve been experiencing over the last 4 years is a pretty serious one. Yes, the past year has brought some relief to the situation, but it has not yet ended the drought. For that matter, El Nino was a dud in So Calif, and it will soon be followed by La Nina, which typically means even less precipitation. No Calif is another animal, though, and may recover quite well. All we can do is wait and see, and hope for the best. Personally, I’m not overly concerned about it. Not yet, anyway.

What I think this thread was originally about, though, was Trump’s statement that “there is no drought”. And regarding that, he’s just using a tactic that he uses with audiences all the time. Making a statement like that, which flies in the face of established facts and scientific consensus, he’s sending a message to his audience that he’s somehow “above” all other authority and simply knows better than the rest. It’s intent is to elevate his stature, which seems to work amongst his followers. But most importantly, it serves to further inflate his own over-the-top ego and superior self-image. If that’s possible...

In the words of Trump’s top advisor on scientific affairs, “Drought? What drought? We got no stinking drought...”. Alright, alright, I made that one up.

Cheers!

PS: And, just like every other resource on this planet, I imagine we’re irresponsibly placing stresses on it and needlessly pushing it beyond it’s limit.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: netbound
I live in So Calif (Redondo Beach/LA South Bay) where very little rainfall is the norm - a good thunderstorm is a novelty around here.

Hey! I'm in Redondo.

Even though SOCA weather/rainfall goes through patterns - - - man made needs affect the use of water and changes to natural landscape.

It's man's needs (demands) that are the problem.

And Yes - - again Trump just spouting off what a particular audience wants to hear.

edit on 29-5-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   
well he does have a point really southern cali is a desert that they irrigated to turn in to farmland same sit as dubai desert being used for other purposes that they aren't built for hence the massive amounts of water they are drawing up to irrigate the land.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Dear The Donald,

If you were not white, you would have been laughed at and would have dropped out ("suspended" your campaign) long ago. If you were not as wealthy as you say you are, you would have been laughed at and would have dropped out already. But because you are a white male who rides around in a private jet and claims to be worth billions, who exudes "power", who schmoozes (says whatever you think people want to hear to make your sale), you have many followers. You are a celebrity and your followers are starstruck; your campaign events have been more akin to religious church fervor and rock concerts than political events of a great nation.

It's all about you, The Donald, and not about my friends who had to wait a year and pay tens of thousands to sink their home well 100 ft deeper, after it had already ran dry once. Nor is it about all the wells that went dry a few years ago, because there was not enough rain to create the snow in the mountains, that then melts as water and runs downhill, recharging ground water. Not enough rain for years--that's a drought. The children in the homes that have not had running water for years (like a third world nation) understand drought.

But, no, The Donald, you fly around blowing kisses and schmoozing, saying whatever idiocy enters your head. And people either believe you or tell me that you have some master plan once you're in office to make things work.

It is only your ego that keeps you going.... well, that and the whiff of more money that adds more valuable to your brand. And it helps to be white, and a male, and have money, and exude power, whether or not you are capable of wielding that power as a leader of a great nation. You'll continue on, The Donald, because you don't even understand the drought as the children do, but your followers and sycophants will keep you rolling....flying.... right along.

Sincerely,
desert, who had an 87ft well 40 years ago and was told that it "would never run dry"

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   
The thing is that he has a point.

There is definitely no drought in counties like San Diego, Orange, Los Angeles, San Francisco, etc...

The only drought exists in the lands of Cashew farmers who can't grow their for export precious nuts. I been to the fields and see how much water they waste on a very small profit margin that is still enough to make a lot of people very rich.

The thing is that CA has failed year over year to build facilities to capture rain water - contain water and manage water not according to the 100 year old "rights" but for ensuring a balanced water consumption - all thanks to the Democrats who have been profiting the most from this.

Instead they outlawed private collection of rain water - going after people with SWAT like gear who do and putting them in prison - all in the name of the State.

Gov Clown has no issues that Newport Beach uses a significant amount of water to keep the greens up but blames people who take a shower per day while water districts suddenly raises prices by 5000% for "over water usage" and the same time the wells are overflowing and need to be relieved because there is too much water in them.

So cut the BS - there is only a drought because someone figured out how to make money from it.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

What surprises me is that people are so pissed at the system that they are willing to ignore Trump constantly contradicting himself and flip flopping. Sometimes multiple times in a day! If anyone demands sources for this then you've been living under a rock. Google is your friend and there is huge wealth of information available. It seems that Trump's supporters will forgive literally any transgression, lie or flip flop.

I mean, hell, the guy was registered Democrat at one point and supported single payer. Not to mention all of the positive public comments about the Clintons! If anyone buys that he just was saying nice things about people because he's a business man I challenge you to look at his record.

At times I think hes a Clinton plant...

The worst part is if it is Trump vs Hillary.... she may actually be the safer choice. And btw, it truly pains me deeply to say that. It's almost as if the monicker of "choosing the lesser of two evils " will be playing itself out in spectacular fashion this election season. It's a sad day to be an American, Hillary is a neocon/neoliberal warmonger and Trump is a fascist. He literally relies on the notion of "triumph of the will". He says he's going to fix all of these various problems but provides scant details as to how. It's as if they'll be fixed because he said so. Not to mention that other thread claiming that the Trump campaign is broke and is now looking for the GOP to bankroll him. It's ironic because this is yet another lie from the "self funded" Trump campaign that was never actually self funded but rather loaned. Talk about cognitive dissonance. "I say therefore it is!"

And just to clarify when I refer to Trump as a fascist please don't think of the Hitler of WWII. Think 1920- early 1930's Germany before he consolidated his power. A parallel could also be drawn with Benito Mussolini. Not so much for Trump's retweet of a BM quote but more so for his facial expressions and style oration/attack. It would be beneficial for American voters to review early films of BM during his rise to power. It would prove especially productive to analyze his ability of persuasion. This ability not only comprised of his speaking skills and arguments to the disaffected, but also with the use of facial expressions and grimaces.

I truly hope history does not repeat. I honestly feel that America is screwed either way. I am, again, very deeply sad to admit that we may be less screwed with Hillary.

Something really needs to change.
edit on 30-5-2016 by s3cz0ne because: Had more to add

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: flyandi

The only drought exists in the lands of Cashew farmers who can't grow their for export precious nuts.
Cashews are a tropical tree, I don't think that they are grown commercially in California.

But a drought is not a matter of agriculture, it is a matter of precipitation.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: netbound

The state is going to have to step in and do something, whether that's limiting who can move to southern CA, taxing agriculture out of the state (a big revenue/jobs hit), or building desalination plants and the power plants to fuel them, something has to be done.

Like you said, CA has wet years and dry years, the problem is that the population can't use more water than is provided in the dry years or you go without. The states current practices are unsustainable.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Eilasvaleleyn
a reply to: BlueAjah

Common sense is a very broad range that shifts meaning drastically based on perspective.

Then why didn't he say that? It's not a long message and is perfectly clear as to its intended meaning.

He specifically says it's the little fish using up their water. All her links say there is plenty of water and the fish are using it up. Stop trying to peg him on semantics. Making fun of his hair and skin tone didn't work. Then they called him a racist. Now people actually hear his words but then he says stuff in a wierd non politician way so you always think you've got all these "gotchya" clips and moments on him but if you were to understand what he's actually saying and research it you'd realize BlueAjah is 100% right and Trump was atleast 75% right. Can you give him that? Trump is mostly right about the water situation in California even if he bungled his words about the drought?
edit on 31-5-2016 by LordDraconia because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
As said: who do you read?

WATCHDOG

Watchdog is run by the Franklin Center for Government and Public Integrity, which itself was launched by the conservative Sam Adams Alliance. These groups are so tied in to all the other major Tea Party power brokers and organizations that it's hard to go through all those links without pulling out a progressive version of Glenn Beck's chalkboard.

According to Source Watch, 95% of the Franklin Center's funding in 2011 came from Donors Trust, a group that Mother Jones has called "the dark-money ATM of the conservative movement" for its record of steering half a billion dollars anonymously from wealthy conservative donors to the poster children of the Tea Party, including Americans for Prosperity, the execrable ALEC, and climate denial groups like Heartland Institute. www.dailykos.com...

So funny to link her source and make fun of it and then you use dailykos to collaborate yours. I'm not sure there even is a middle ground anymore. Everyone has a bias and agenda but please don't pretend dailykos isn't as left as Bernies left hand.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: harvestdog

originally posted by: harvestdog
Good video on the man made drought.

Who is behind The National Alliance for Environmental Reform?

Makers of this video.

What's that got to do with the facts contained in said video?

Who's behind it and who's agenda it is, is not important? Since when?

Just because you want to believe this video is fact - - does not make it fact.

Other then finding out its a Non-Prophet organization - - - there's nothing.

Ahh yes put your fingers in your ears and link us more dailykos and left leaning stuff. Everyone has an agenda Annee but if you won't listen to both sides wtf are you here arguing with the other side for? You won't listen to anything we say but we're supposed to be swayed by your arguments. Shut the front door.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Re that three inch fish..... I posted this in another thread about a water-moving plan..... moving water around is not as simple as Mr. Trump etal make it out to be...

originally posted by: desert
.... And it is not solely about Calif Delta farmers' eminent domain fight. What is happening here is Calif Delta farmers and their farming water is being threatened (again) with these tunnels.

Officials say the tunnels will stabilize water supplies for cities and farms south of the delta. But it has drawn strong opposition from delta farmers and environmentalists, who contend the tunnels will allow saltwater from San Francisco Bay to degrade the delta’s water quality and damage habitat for endangered salmon and tiny delta smelt.

source

Note that tiny fish, the Delta Smelt, that is the butt of jokes and anger in CA water issues. (Even Rep Boehner joked about it when he visited the Valley.) Farmers in the Delta understand their survival and the smelt are interrelated.

Brett Baker, a pear farmer and fishery biologist from Sutter Island, began the first panel by giving a power point presentation showing the decades-long links between Delta agriculture and fishing. Baker showed photos of his dad and grandfather proudly showing striped bass and salmon they had caught many years ago.

“Stripers and salmon co-existed successfully in the Delta for over 100 years,” emphasized Baker, countering the disinformation campaign by west San Joaquin Valley water contractors that striper "predation" has led to the decline in stripers.

“It broke the heart of my father when I came home from UC Davis and told him I had changed my major from business to fishery biologist.”

"My dad, said ‘So you’re going to be a tree hugger now.'"

“That’s right,” Baker told him, “A pear tree-hugger.”

source

"Tree huggers" and farmers and fishermen team up, using a plan change to try to stop the tunnels.
Environmental groups and farmers team up to slam Delta tunnel plan

CA's current water wars pits farmers from the Delta region and northward against farmers (agribusiness, and also oil industry) in the Central Valley to the south, dragging Los Angeles area into the mess.

While it may seem like eminent domain is being demanded for a common good (Los Angeles, etc.), the Delta farmers see it as a continuing grab of northern state water, which affects them detrimentally. So, these farmers are indeed on the side of that tiny fish. And it's no laughing matter.

Even if the farmers were to plant over the tunnels, the fact that water would be diverted southward affects their water quality.

originally posted by: desert
What it could do is add salt and perhaps toxic chemicals...

Another example: Diverting the Sacramento River means the San Joaquin River would compose a larger share of the water in the estuary. The San Joaquin is poorer quality water, laden with salt, pesticides and selenium, a naturally occurring mineral that can deform wildlife in excessive concentrations.

Delta could get saltier if tunnels are built

Plus, building more water storage north of Los Angeles would only capture a minimal amount (i.e. not worth it), as the rivers were damned decades ago as flood control, making for large reservoirs.

Bottom line, we didn't get the rain, which makes the snow which is held in the mountains---THAT is our water storage.

Could less people move here? Yes. Could farmers switch to different crops? That is a plan. Could all users just not waste water, because we really do live in a desert climate? Yes. But the bottom line is that there is just not the water to move around because of a drought.

What Mr. Trump said is the same old pie-in-the-sky, pink unicorn solutions that have been around for years. It may get votes and rile up people, but simplistic talk like this is cheap... except in election years, then it costs millions.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join