It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8 Gig Flash Card?!?!?!?!?!?!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Sandisk released a 8 Gig Flash Card at the Consumer Electronics Show 2005 heres the pic of it static.howstuffworks.com... !!!!!
Just think how small computers will be very soon
Want more info? Well heres the link electronics.howstuffworks.com...

[edit on 15-1-2005 by Bengy]

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   
That really is amazing. To think in my first computer I purchased a 20 mb hard-drive because the 40 mb was too much money and I though I would never, ever, in my whole life use 40 mb of storage....

E_T

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Old news...

Pretec 12 GB
www.dpreview.com...

www.dpreview.com...
That's right, 16 GB CF... although it is Type II. (which is supported for example by better digicams)

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   
OK, can't you join 10 12 gig cards in a RAID system and use it as a hard drive?

It woud be a stunner of a machine, no fans, no delay, no shutdown needs, low power consumption.

E_T

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
It woud be a stunner of a machine, no fans, no delay, no shutdown needs, low power consumption.
Currently CFs (or any other flash memorys) are considerably slower than HDs.
But they would work well for PC in "normal" use like writing and surfing web.

And low power consumption doesn't fit to same sentence with current CPUs... or more like to same paragraph.

(except Pentium-M)

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I started a thread about using flash cards to hold the operating system. That way computers will start up in like 2 seconds. But the thread is ancient, like probably 7-8 pages back.

Edit: the thread is 9 pages back. Here's a link.

[edit on 1/17/2005 by diehard_democrat]

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 06:40 PM
link   
OMFG I SHOULD BUILD THE WORLDS SMALLEST AND SWEETEST COMPUTER!!!!!
HEY MIKE WANNA HELP?!?!?!?! (ONCE I GET A JOB I WILL DO THAT)

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   
A professor at my school showed our class his latest shipment from silicon valley - it was a silicon platter full of 4x4 millimeter chips. It was a prototype... but each 4x4mm chip was rumored to be able to contain 3.8 gigs apiece.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sanders
A professor at my school showed our class his latest shipment from silicon valley - it was a silicon platter full of 4x4 millimeter chips. It was a prototype... but each 4x4mm chip was rumored to be able to contain 3.8 gigs apiece.

Oh sounds like samples too me
I would love to see the results of the torture tests that professor does on it but alas he probably signed a standard NDA

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 09:30 PM
link   
On a similar topic, Hitachi recently unveilved something of interest:

money.cnn.com...

A 500-Gig harddrive, to be exact
They plan on using it for video storage while filming and editing, i think...well, what else? nothing else done by the common person would need so much storage...

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Before we know it data storage will be of no concern to us.

www.physorg.com...

Check that article out for size.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 10:26 PM
link   
500-gig! holy ish well i know i could fill that baby up
(flash mx, photoshop, 10 gigs of songs, call of duty, doom 3, unreal tournament, halo, prince of persia, diablo 2, c&c generals, quake 4, etc. ) i dunno i think i can fill that baby up

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   
If you try it's no problem filling that thing up. Especially if you want a nice movie collection on your HD. Considering most movies in decent quality are about 500-750 megs, it'd be filled up in no time. DVD-quality rips would take up even more space. With the torrent sites out there, it'd be no trouble finding discographies of your favourite artists either. Like David Bowie? That's probably 2.5-3 gigs of mp3's right there, if you want ALL his songs.

I think the only crazy part about that 500gig drive from Hitachi, is it's size. Someone told me it's about the size of a domino..length and width wise I think...

Size is definately the issue, not ammount it can store. I've seen terabyte drives before, one of my friends into film editing picked one up about 2 years ago. But he's seriously into it, not everyone makes the decision to get something like that.

Still though, you guys should check out the 2nd article I posted. It'll blow the rest away when it's in place, believe me. 500gig? Kid's stuff

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 10:53 PM
link   
they got a 12 gb card and it costs $14,000. cf cards are slower then hds at least the ones out now are but you could make a ram drive by finding someway to takes a bunch of 8GB server ram sticks and putting them all togather that would make a super fast computer one that starts up in seconds but you would need a battery on it bcouse you would lose everything if power was lost.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
OK, can't you join 10 12 gig cards in a RAID system and use it as a hard drive?

Biggest problem, most flash has a finite number of read/write cycles before it's junk...

Osiris

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 05:35 AM
link   
hehheehe cool i have to get me one of thoes

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by jaso109
they got a 12 gb card and it costs $14,000.

A 12 gig card costs $14,000?! Why not take twelve 1 gig cards and run them in parallel? That would be way cheaper.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by diehard_democrat
I started a thread about using flash cards to hold the operating system. That way computers will start up in like 2 seconds. But the thread is ancient, like probably 7-8 pages back.

Edit: the thread is 9 pages back. Here's a link.

[edit on 1/17/2005 by diehard_democrat]

How-To: Boot Windows XP Off a Compact Flash Card

Comment:
The 8 GB card would be an interesting base drive with the IDE adapter, and you would install Windows XP straight, first to a hard drive partition, then using the instructions to copy over files to the CF. 12MBs is what you get on 80x cards, probably not too bad for booting, but it is still the same as an 80x CDrom drive. The advantage of no moving parts, and solid state looks interesting. Someone might consider setting up the electronics for a similar adapter that uses conventional computer memory in large amounts with a cmos battery or whatever works to retain the memory. Now that would boot quickly!

If you have very large amounts of computer memory already, you could create a ram disk and a batch file to copy over the files to prepare a boot. What makes the CF or IDE card attaching memory so appealing is that you make it the C Drive with hardware, not an involved batch file. Windows XP may make it difficult to switch over to another drive for boot, but such an idea is not imposible.

Your thoughts are appeciated.

[edit on 24-1-2005 by SkipShipman]

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 12:57 AM
link   
it would be better to buy a ipod and most new motherboards alow you to boot from usb or firewire and you can also listen to music

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 08:02 PM
link   
GOOD IDEA SEXYGEEK!!!!!! wow hey i wanna try that
if i can fork over $300-$400

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join