It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hawaii Could Be First to Put Gun Owners in Federal Database

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
If I am reading this correctly, this only applies to certain people that apply for jobs in which they work for government operations, facilities, or other occupations in which the applicant/employee comes in contact with children, elderly and other "vulnerable" individuals.

It does not appear to apply to the average, private gun owner. This only allows them to check those certain individuals in those positions for criminal activity, including acts outside of the state itself.

trackbill.com...

Sorry, but you are wrong. You are twisting what the bill actually states.

This is the part of the bill you claim shows what you stated above...

Your Committee finds that the Federal Bureau of Investigation permits authorized government agencies, including law enforcement, to access a program, known as Rap Back, that provides continuous monitoring of individuals who are subject to a criminal history record check. When an individual is arrested for a criminal offense elsewhere in the country, the agency that conducted the background check will be notified. While the county police departments have authority under current statutory firearms permit and registration procedures to conduct a background check on applicants for permits to obtain or possess a firearm and to register a firearm, those statutes refer to a background check procedure that does not include the Rap Back program and is a static snapshot of the individual's criminal history. This measure will authorize county police departments to receive notifications of subsequent arrests of individuals who acquire permits or register firearms after the effective date of this measure. The county police departments will then be able to utilize the notifications to examine whether an individual's criminal conduct disqualifies them from continued ownership or possession of firearms under federal and state laws.

State agencies have been authorized to use the Rap Back system for more than forty purposes since 2012, including checks of teachers, daycare operators, Hawaii Health System Corporation employees, and traffic management employees with access to secured areas. Your Committee finds that county police departments should have similar access to information about criminal activity committed by individuals who possess and own firearms.

www.capitol.hawaii.gov...

The author of that bill is just mentioning how the "Rap Back program" works/ed and how it "supposedly" allows gun registration, but he doesn't say that's what this bill is about. The author explains clearly what the bill is about. I put it on bold for you to understand.

Here it is again...

This measure will authorize county police departments to receive notifications of subsequent arrests of individuals who acquire permits or register firearms after the effective date of this measure. The county police departments will then be able to utilize the notifications to examine whether an individual's criminal conduct disqualifies them from continued ownership or possession of firearms under federal and state laws.

www.capitol.hawaii.gov...

The first part of the bill even specifies that this will be firearm registration for everyone in Hawaii. It doesn't specify "only for criminals". Everyone would have to register their firearms, and the excuse given is to continue monitoring everyone to see if a person gets arrested in the future...

This is a law which uses the excuse that people "could", in the future have a criminal record and that because it is possible for anyone to become a criminal in the future that a "registration of firearms is necessary".

That's what this bill is all about.

edit on 27-5-2016 by ElectricUniverse because: add and correct comment.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

A Better Idea would be for the State of Hawaii to put Illegal Gun Owners ( Criminals ] in a Database . Makes more sense , eh ?

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   

a reply to: butcherguy

as may be authorized by law

That is the part we need to focus on. Does that mean it only applies to those organizations/entities that are bound by the current laws to report their firearm ownership?

Nope... there is a comma.
The 'as may be authorized by law' is describing the state agencies, subdivisions and branches. Meaning that they are actually state agencies as authorized by a law.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Actually, I believe I may be wrong. This is what we need to focus on:

and (43) The county police departments on applicants who are granted permits to acquire firearms pursuant to section 134-2.

Section 134-2 applies to permits to acquire.

This does appear to apply to all gun owners.

Not good.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 07:24 PM
link   
This is entertaining as hell. The same ones screaming "STATE'S RIGHTS" when it come to things like gay rights are beaking about a state doing something they don't approve of. Frickin hilarious. Is it only the state's right when it's something you believe in?

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit
a reply to: introvert

A Better Idea would be for the State of Hawaii to put Illegal Gun Owners ( Criminals ] in a Database . Makes more sense , eh ?

What a novel idea!
I doubt that any liberal could get behind it though.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Actually, I believe I may be wrong. This is what we need to focus on:

and (43) The county police departments on applicants who are granted permits to acquire firearms pursuant to section 134-2.

Section 134-2 applies to permits to acquire.

This does appear to apply to all gun owners.

Not good.

Yay.
A star on your post!

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
This is entertaining as hell. The same ones screaming "STATE'S RIGHTS" when it come to things like gay rights are beaking about a state doing something they don't approve of. Frickin hilarious. Is it only the state's right when it's something you believe in?

That does open-up a huge part of the debate that we have to discuss. Do states have the right to do something like this?

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   

That does open-up a huge part of the debate that we have to discuss. Do states have the right to do something like this?

Well, let's see.
Should a state have the right to pass a law requiring a poll tax,
a law prohibiting freedom of assembly?
Freedom to worship the god of your choice?

I say no.
edit on b000000312016-05-27T19:32:51-05:0007America/ChicagoFri, 27 May 2016 19:32:51 -0500700000016 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Well, let's see.
Should a state have the right to pass a law requiring a poll tax,
a law prohibiting freedom of assembly?
Freedom to worship the god of your choice?

I say no.

Agreed. I'm going to have to read a bit more in to this.

I'm a staunch pro-2nd supporter, but restrictions have been upheld by the courts in many cases when it comes to states and their right to place said restrictions.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

As long as a State Does Not Violate a U.S. Citizens Constitutional Rights when Enacting a State Law , I have no Problem with that , but if a said Law does , then off to the Courts the People will go , and it Will be Struck Down .

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I don't think they would ever really try confiscation in America though? It seems undoable and any attempts would lead to a bloodbath.This is like toothpaste,you cannot put it back in the tube.As the saying goes: "A gun behind every blade of grass" The American populace can not be disarmed,i don't think its something to worry about.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Oh man! This is a serious nudge and it is all part of the UN's agenda.

Remember that John Kerry signed the UN small arms treaty in 2013. So far, Congress has not ratified it, but Heaven help us if the Democratic Party takes control of the Senate and a Democrat becomes president!!!

Nudge by nudge....and you might know it starts in Hawaii, Obama's supposed place of birth.

www.forbes.com...

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Excuse me but this has nothing to do with "transexual rights"... Both issues are completely different. If you "super moderator' actually have an argument having to do with this topic you are more than welcome to provide your input, but trying to derail a thread?... tsk, tsk...

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

Give it a break Muad. Pulling the "mod card" is the last link in a weak argument. The analogy is totally appropriate. States do mental and constitutional gymnastics to marginalize gays and it's.... "STATE'S RIGHTS". This? "OMG. States don't have this right." How is that different from bringing up Obama when we are actually discussing someone else?

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 09:29 PM
link   
So what if they're in a database? Guns are dangerous, it makes sense to track them.

I'm a lot more worried about corporations and governments storing everything I do in a database, like the new giant NSA datacenter in Utah.

I'm sure they're using that to make profiles of all of us to decide who to put in camps (or shoot from helicarriers like in Captain America).

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
I'm sure they're using that to make profiles of all of us to decide who to put in camps (or shoot from helicarriers like in Captain America).

Or provide loaves and the fishes like from any Christian Jesus tale. Fear works well though. Just look at society.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Or provide loaves and the fishes like from any Christian Jesus tale. Fear works well though. Just look at society.

More derailing intrepid? Humnm... How about you stay within the context of the thread? You do know what the thread is about right? It is not what you want it to be.
edit on 27-5-2016 by ElectricUniverse because: correct comment.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 09:57 PM
link   

So what if they're in a database? Guns are dangerous, it makes sense to track them.

So are knives, so is gasoline, and alcohol (they can engulf people in flames and kill them horribly in case you didn't know), so are pencils, and so are sharp sticks... You want to have a database of all of those too?

The second Amendment states emphatically ...,the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
edit on 27-5-2016 by ElectricUniverse because: add and correct comment.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Me?

originally posted by: ElectricUniverse

So are knives, so is gasoline, and alcohol (they can engulf people in flames and kill them horribly in case you didn't know), so are pencils, and so are sharp sticks... You want to have a database of all of those too?

I thought this was about a gun action in Hawaii. Knives? Gasoline? Isn't that what you just accused me of?

originally posted by: ElectricUniverse
More derailing intrepid? Humnm... How about you stay within the context of the thread? You do know what the thread is about right? It is not what you want it to be.

The reader sees.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join