It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something a little odd flew over last night

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Zarniwoop

Actually I'm guessing the low end on the 7 guess, could have been closer to ten minutes. The thing about this people aren't understanding is how low it actually was. Like I said, this only seemed to be the height a helicopter may be filming news or something.

I have a LOT of open sky around me. I know mars well since I have taken pictures of it the last few night with the moon and such. So I am aware of where a lot of the key players are in the heavens. By no means a professor, but I know basics.

Over my house is like flight pattern highway. Almost appears to be 4 lanes the aircraft follow. So, this was unusual. The low factor, the no sound factor, the no navigation lights factor. Not to mention we had been watching the other craft in their lanes and they were the usual 30,000 plus up there. THIS was no where near that height.

Weather willing, you know I will be looking again tonight, but I'm sure I will have to look much higher for the space station.

Thanks for discussing this with me though. Ive been around ATS long enough now to know what to present and what not too! I wouldn't have bothered with this except I had two other people with me and we were all scratching our heads about the lack of blinking lights. One other funny thing was, as much as I take pictures, I had to jar myself to go get the camera as I was a bit mesmerized in trying to figure it out. So I understand the why no pics thing.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: onehuman

Hi onehuman. I have only one question. How do you determine the altitude it was flying at? Reasoning behind my question - something really high up, but bright and fast enough could give a notion of something closer to the ground flying a bit slower. When it's just a light in the sky with no physical object attached, it's really hard to tell distance, simply because depending on luminosity and speed it might appear as low, but be high, as well as the other way around.

Because you said "seemed", also. Not to intrude, just to show you we're in the same boat, I've seen UFOs, nocturnal lights and what appeared to be physical too. But the nocturnal lights - I can't even go towards putting a finger on their distance from our point of view.
edit on 27-5-2016 by ch1n1t0 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: ch1n1t0

Hey there,

I guess I can only tell basically because I have sat out there and watched so many things fly over. There is a helicopter that flies pretty regular around here, day and night so that's how I get my height estimation. The other of other aircraft is from like I mentioned. There is a flight path corridor that goes over my house. Usually the flights leaving Miami, Fort Lauderdale, come through this area before they start their swing out over the ocean or west to head to Texas for example. SO they have had their time to almost reach their cruising altitudes.

Hope this helps...

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Weather willing, you know I will be looking again tonight, but I'm sure I will have to look much higher for the space station.

Actually look much lower. Last night was 83 degrees, which is almost directly overhead when it passes. Tonight is 31 degrees, which will be much closer to the horizon... and it won't hang around as long either... about a minute less.

Anyway, I hope you figure out what you saw.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Youe story is boring and your pictures are boring.

edit on 27-5-2016 by mojoharry because: me cant spell init!

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I've seen the ISS directly overhead on a clear night and it does appear much lower than it actually is. Thought I could reach out and touch it.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 11:26 PM
link   
What about a drone ?

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: mojoharry
Youe story is boring and your pictures are boring.

Your post is boring.

Thanks for sharing, OP. I hope you get the mystery figured out!

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 12:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: onehuman
I guess I can only tell basically because I have sat out there and watched so many things fly over. There is a helicopter that flies pretty regular around here, day and night so that's how I get my height estimation. The other of other aircraft is from like I mentioned. There is a flight path corridor that goes over my house. Usually the flights leaving Miami, Fort Lauderdale, come through this area before they start their swing out over the ocean or west to head to Texas for example. SO they have had their time to almost reach their cruising altitudes.

Hope this helps...
It helps. Translation: You have no idea how high it was, you only think you know based on irrelevant observations.

There's certainly nothing about your photos to suggest it wasn't the ISS (though they don't prove that it was the ISS, they are too out of focus to conclude what it was).

originally posted by: IridiumFlareMadness
I've seen the ISS directly overhead on a clear night and it does appear much lower than it actually is. Thought I could reach out and touch it.
There's really no way to accurately judge the distance of unknown objects in the sky, so sure, they can be perceived as closer than they really are in some cases, further in others.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 05:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

Indeed. I've seen the space station looking really very bright and it does look close by.
In fact just a few days ago I was looking up whilst having a smoke and thought I was watching a star moving.
I guessed it was the space station looking a bit less lit up from my viewpoint.
It didn't do anything exciting, just faded out of view.
It could've been heading towards shade from my angle so looked smaller because it was losing light.

I've seen it a few times now I know what to look out for.
I'd be the first to admit that I'd got it wrong, though, because I believe some satellites are visible under certain conditions and I could be mistaking the two.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: onehuman
a reply to: ch1n1t0

Hey there,

Hope this helps...

As you don't know the size of the object or the distance YOU can't give an accurate guess the ISS flew over where I live a few nights ago a very bright spot of light it looked lower than an aircraft due to apparent size/brightness but was 400+ miles further away from me than the nearest aircraft. As for your Canon camera what lens & exposures settings did you use.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Trained observer here.....orbs are real......they'll do the horizon to horizon thing, too

apparent diameter is the key here....the op passes the amateur barrier.....the ground track is spot on for the iss though huh?...I've never seen the ISS come in on a northbound look.....it's always cuttin' the sw to ne deally.

result is in....orb from hell.....

I saw an orb off the wingtip of a md-90....eastward out of DFW in daylight....doing twice the speed of the jets on the sid.....go all the way to the horizon....three minutes or more

editttoadd....apparent diameter....3.7 feet.....40 inches with brightness interfering
edit on 28-5-2016 by GBP/JPY because: yessirrr

edit on 28-5-2016 by GBP/JPY because: last minute thought there....yezz

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: wmd_2008

I was using a anon Power Shot SX 60 HS . I had it on auto setting with just the lens it came with. Was really no time to fiddle with it. The object was already on its way past by the time I thought to grab the camera. Being excited didn't help the steadiness either for trying to get a good zoom, That is why they are mostly zoomed out shots.

The camera is capable of taking pictures like the one below. I so wish I could have managed this clarity, but I was calm and shooting a stationary picture when I took this.
Also had something to lean against.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   
So many mechanists, so few vitalsts. Listening (reading) your account I sense you observed what you thought was anomalous, not fooled by misidentified ISS or other phenomenon. I would not expect any photo to do you justice. I doubt you zoomed in enough for the ISS or similar satellite, Iridium flare, or whatever to refocus to what we see. So the most relevant data is your perceptions.

Lights in the sky are the hardest to deal with in investigative post event scrutiny, but it's interesting the creative that seems to sprout so many mundane solutions.

I say take it for what mystery it was, but don't discount your perceptions. Proof is rarely possible for any experience. You indeed might have seen something outside any general explanation. In that case even knowing it was a unique anomaly, you could not convince many otherwise. Just keep observing and checking yourself when something happens. Your inner sense is also a barometer for what is real. Others can never know that.

PS: good shot of the Moon. I can't do much better with an f-11 scope on my DSLR.

ZG
edit on 5/28/2016 by ZeroGhost because: Auto spell errors.

edit on 5/28/2016 by ZeroGhost because: Addition after post seeing new comment.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: onehumanOne other funny thing was, as much as I take pictures, I had to jar myself to go get the camera as I was a bit mesmerized in trying to figure it out.

i believe that this 'mesmerized' type thing, described many times
by ufo witnesses, is due to some deep instinctive part of our primal
human awareness, alerting us that what we are seeing is different to
anything we would automatically consider 'normal'. our subconscious
sifts through the 'known objects' memory database (in microseconds)
to seek a potential match. if no match is forthcoming, our 'spider-
senses' begin to tingle, as it were.

edit on 28 5 2016 by RoScoLaz5 because: spelling

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Thank you for sharing. I can understand how difficult it is to capture an image. When you sight something strange, your first thoughts are rambling through a long list of realistic possibilities! By the time one considers this may be a noteworthy object...they tend to be too distant or even disappear!

My own husband is an extreme scientific skeptic, yet, even he was boondoggled one night. He were out thinking we were looking at Jupiter and explaining planets to our young grandson. Our planet, just instantly blinked out and disappeared! We then realized the remaining bright object just to the south of our view was actually Jupiter. Totally non-plussed. I could only giggle. No explanation. Definitely, no pics...so kudos to you, OP!

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: ZeroGhost

Thank you for your kind words and also support. Ive been around here long enough to know they play rough! I just wish people would actually read what you post the first time so you don't have to keep repeating yourself saying the same things different ways in hopes that they might get it.

I'm just really glad that I wasn't along this time. So at least I know two others saw it with me and we were all puzzled and agreeing to what we were seeing and not seeing.

Thanks again and to you as well RoScoLaz5 for your support too.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

Would you feel any better knowing you are the only one too se what you thought was a planet just wink out and disappear?

I had that same experience myself when I was driving a cab in Providence. Parked the same place every morning and what I thought was Venus was directly in front of me for a good month every morning as she should be. I even said Good Morning to her all the time, just because I'm a star liking kind of person and I really appreciated her beauty when she rose in the eastern sky so brightly.

Lo and behold, when dawn was just barely breaking the skies crystal clear with the sharp cold air, I watched Venus slide about a elbow to fingertip length across my windshield and then just wink out. Even though my brain knew there were no clouds, I still gave that idea the benefit and waited for it to reappear. Nope, nada, just gone. When you think about that distance in my windshield and then think how far that would actually be in space, then your brain really hurts!

So, I really do know exactly how you feel on that one! lol You're not alone....

One thing I will add though, after posting this story on ATS the few years ago when it happened, the experts with Stellarium corrected me and it turns out I had been watching Jupitar the whole time and not Venus, so yes, it was very bright! Guess we need to keep a closer eye on Old Jupiter eh?

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Thanks for the reply what about exposure details the time and exposure details will be in the exif data on your pictures.

Your camera is a bridge camera it has a 65x optical zoom BUT that is actually a misleading way of expressing it, I wish camera manufactures would stop that, it's focal length range is equivalent to 21-1365mm on a FULL frame digital camera so 1365 divided by 21 gives you the 65 x zoom. The problem is at 21mm that is approx 0.5 times zoom ie wide angle. So magnification is around 32 times.

Your pictures of the Moon are good here is one from my 16mp (same mega pixels as yours) using a 300mm zoom on my APS-C sized sensor which is 23.5 x 15.6 mm is size (yours is 6.17 x 4.55 mm)

Heavy crop from full picture.

Here same lens and a plane flying at over 25,000 ft and a few miles down range from my house the plane was heading west towards the Atlantic again heavy crop from center of frame.

The problem with lights at night is auto focus and auto exposure, manual is best, the other problem at night is sensor size as you see above yours is approx 28mm sq and has 16mp mine is 366 mm sq approx with 16mp.

The larger the pixel size the better the performance at night.

I have used the pictures below on other threads to prove a point.

First one taken manual focus with exposure settings used for a previous picture taken earlier the same day I knew what the object was I could hear it.

The typical light in the sky shot.

The next manual focus again and manual exposure settings.

It's clear to see what it is. The local police Helicopter.

At night manual focus & exposure if possible with the camera is always best. Also always avoid DIGITAL zoom.

edit on 28-5-2016 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 12:29 AM
link   
a reply to: wmd_2008
Thank you for the bit of education
. The more I think about it, I'm actually pretty sure I had it on the sport setting or action shots. I was just hoping to maybe actually catch a decent shot in the mix. I didn't mean to be misleading on the auto setting. Just a old lady brain space that I wish I could defrag!
I have a similar shot to yours as well... Now I do recall this being on auto and the camera itself seem to have a delay before it snapped the picture. Like it was leaving the lens open longer for the exposure. Sorry, obviously a amateur with the best uses and settings etc.. New camera and trying to learn.
I'm not on my PC at moment, in bed on iPad, but if you give me a quick recap on how to bring up the exif data again, I will be more than happy to do it tomorrow.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join