posted on May, 26 2016 @ 09:19 PM
This thread is not about building BOB's, BOV's, bunkers, retreats, etc.
This is what happens and you need another plan. Mama Beth's thread about the Donner Party started me thinking about this and overhearing someone
talking about bugging out got me busy writing.
Where, why, and how are the questions most do not think about. You have your bug out bags ready, you bug out vehicle is mostly ready (bet you don't
have a full tank of fuel), and you like to think your ready.
Some scenarios: (These are in no particular order. And by no means a complete list.)
1. Basic local social breakdown, due to whatever, you have riots in the streets, National Guard, services limited or stopped (this means grocery’s,
gas, etc). Will you even be able to get out-of-town due to blocked streets and roads? How about curfew's. Or will you have to drive add across town
with everything coming apart around you because that the only way to your safe location.
2. Basic national social breakdown, again due to whatever, (pandemics economic collapse etc) National Guard and the Army out patrolling and
controlling, services very limited, rationed, or stopped (this again means grocery’s, gas, etc). Probably you won't be able to get out-of-town due
to blocked streets and roads, curfew's. Can you sneak out-of-town on foot or bicycles? Can you travel at night and hide during the day? How far do
you have to go?
3. The entire power grid has collapsed (overload, solar flare, terrorism ?). Hope the truck has a full tank of gas, are you like most folks who barely
keeps 1/3 of a tank (AAA did a survey a year or so back 1/3 of a tank is what the normal amount 75% of people kept in the tank)? Everyone's heading
for the hill too and the Interstate is blocked with wreaks and cars out of gas. That back road you thought no one would use, same thing. No twit'er
or farcebook, no cell phone, no TV or radio (yes I know they have backup generators, they need fuel too).
4. Yellowstone erupts. Everything is covered with ash and volcanic winter descends for a few years. Do you have enough food and drinking water? How
about fuel to keep warm? Not going to be much of a harvest this year.
5. For any scenario it's time to bug out. Where are you going? You decided to head for the cabin in the mountains, it's a 300 mile drive, and the
worst blizzard in memory is between you and the cabin. Society has broken down, no gas, no extra food, no towing services. Can you get there, because
you didn't plan on the weather. Same situation except its summer and the worst heatwave ever.
Enter the event you think will happen and have you got a back up plan. Got a back up for the back up? Got as many contingency’s covered as you can
I realize you can't plan on every possible event, but the number of people I have spoken with haven’t considered the basic what if is astounding.
One guy had multiple BOB's for himself and family but hadn’t thought of his insulin or his wife’s BP medicine, they could get it where they are
going. Uh remember civilization is broke, drug stores will be among the first to go. And he refused to keep his truck fueled as it was too expensive.
One woman said she wouldn't ever leave if she couldn't take her family heirlooms along, so they were buying a trailer to haul the junk.