It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: 46 Palestinian Election Officials Resign

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Claiming that they were pressured to change voting procedures by campaign and intelligence officers belonging to Mahmoud Abbas, forty six members of the Palestinian election commission have resigned. Included among those are two very senior officials that resigned early Saturday. While it does raise questions about the overwhelming victory that Abbas achieved last Sunday, most of the officials that quit said it would not affect the ultimate outcome.

abcnews.com
RAMALLAH, West Bank - Forty-six members of the Palestinian election commission, including top managers, resigned Saturday, saying they were pressured by Mahmoud Abbas' campaign and intelligence officials to abruptly change voting procedures during the Jan. 9 presidential poll.

Two senior members of the commission, Ammar Dwaik and Baha al-Bakri, resigned early Saturday, and officials later announced the resignations of 44 more members.

The resignations raised questions about Sunday's vote giving Abbas an overwhelming victory, though the officials who quit said the alleged irregularities did not fundamentally affect the final vote tally.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Abbas' honeymoon was short, if it ever even existed. Israel has cut ties until he proves he can reign in the militants. If the election results are called into doubt, then his political capital from such a huge victory may be greatly diminished and reduce his chances of getting the militants under control. They are just as likely to turn on him.

[edit on 15-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 10:57 AM
link   

as posted by FredT
If the election results are called into doubt, then his political capital from such a huge victory may be greatly diminished and reduce his chances of getting the militants under control.

I thought the past Democratic President of the U.S., Jimmy Carter, was to monitor the Palestinian Elections? His observations mentioned nothing to the sort, interesting, but then again, maybe not. Where's Senator Boxer and Mr. Jesse Jackson at when some need them?

You raise a serious and valid point, but then again, a man connected to past terrorism will always have some political sway with the terrorist groups and/or organizations in Palestine, no matter the election results. Abbas's political clout hedges on multiples of things here. The problem I see is not the alledged voting problems and assertions, but the fact that Abbas is trying to pacify both Israel and the terrorist organizations/groups that are active in Palestine.....IMHO, he cannot do so. The Road to Peace strictly states that whoever is in charge of the Palestinians must dismantle these groups. Increasingly, it seems that Abbas is not going to do so, as per his mentionings of turning them or incorporating them into the Palestinian Security forces....

seekerof

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 11:13 AM
link   
What can I said and the saga in the Palestinian raise to power continues, I wonder what purpose does Palestinian hold in the world beside breading suicide bombers and terrorist.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
What can I said and the saga in the Palestinian raise to power continues, I wonder what purpose does Palestinian hold in the world beside breading suicide bombers and terrorist.

I think the mothers of new babies would disagree.... NONE that were interviewed on the national geographic special said they wanted their babies to grow up to be suicide bombers... and most wont...
the ones that do, are usually fatherless due to an israeli bullet, and are soon "mentored" by the terrorists....
so it is a cycle of destruction that NEITHER side can say they are innocent of....
for instance.... israeli soldiers created another couple of bombers this weekend, when they killed 4 palestinians in reprisal of a previous attack....
and just for your info.... one was a police man who was trying to bring order to the situation.... totally innocent and trying to be helpful....
I understand your feelings on this... (had them often) but we have to look to a better way, or all is lost on both sides....

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   
My dear Fellow member you misunderstood the whole post, I was talking in my usual sarcastic way, I am very aware of the bad deal the Palestinian people has as right now, also you have to understand that the Palestinian as today are mostly Arabs that settler in the area after Israel got separated, they were all the under the same ancestry but as today most of the Palestinian are now of Arab background.

To bad that nobody cares what will happened to this people, we have been drilled over and over that they are only a whole bunch of terrorist that their purpose in life is to bread suicide bombers.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   
The way I see it all the disconnecting off of Israeli communication to the Palestinean leadership is is "Let's see what you can do". I believe Yasser Arafat was a puppet to those with money and clout for the same old religious battle that's been happening there for millenia. This next question is not meant to be one of disrespect. Did the word Palestine not come from the Roman Empire? To my understanding "Palestinian" is a word that was used to describe nomadic people after they were released from obligation to the Roman Empire. That question no matter what the answer doesn't take away from the obvious struggle for power and land in the West Bank. If anything it brings to light that Palestinians have the same rights to land in the region of Israel as those who fled Egypt during "Exodus". Think about it; if the same kind of battle ensued in the United States and the religious sect/cult (yes any religion can be defined by either word) had as many people as a sect of Arabs whos views of their faith in Islam was not limited by peace, then the exact same thing could happen. As the 46 people who resigned stated, their resignation would likely have not affected the outcome of the election. I think time and the assertion of intelligent power and leadership are the roles that will bring more peace to that area.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I am beginning to feel that, in my lifetime anyways, there will never be peace in this region. No matter who is elected leader of the Palestinians, if the extremists want to continue the killing, they will. He has no power over them, and would only be able to stop them by taking direct action against them. And I don't think the Palestinian Army would react to well to those orders. The extremists on the Palestinian side don't want peace, they want to drive the Israelis out.

I don't think the Israeli govt is totally blameless in the endless cycle, I think that they know that the Palestinian leader has absolutely no control over the attacks (assuming the Palestinian leader wants peace). So by continuing to refuse to talk if an attack takes place, they know there is never going to be any resolution.

Basically, the average, everyday Israeli and Palestinian just wants peace, and to be able to see their children grow up happy, healthy and safe. They want an end to the violence on both sides. But no matter what, as long as the extremists on both sides of the fence want to continue this power struggle, nothing will change.

new topics

top topics

join