It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The superbug that doctors have been dreading just reached the U.S.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I once watched a documentary many years ago around the time of the breakup of the Soviet Union.
This program was showing some thing called Phage.. an alternative to antibiotics.. the documentary was trying to highlight the fact that because of lack of resources the magic alternative was going to be lost.

Does anyone have any information on this?

edit on Fri, 27 May 2016 18:05:53 -0500056America/ChicagoFriday4 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: NewzNose
a reply to: Bedlam

Will Brilacidin kill a CRE?

Yes. There are a couple of bacteria that Brilacidin isn't very active against. But it's not a carbapenem so carbapenem resistance doesn't matter to it. Other defensin designs in the same family as Brilacidin but tweaked a bit for different physical characteristics ARE effective against the bacteria that Brilacidin isn't as good for. So a proper end product will probably have a mix of several defensin designs. But the company that bought the IP for Brilacidin doesn't have the funds to develop the whole thing at once, so they picked the one that looked like the biggest bang for the buck.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Anything that kills a CRE is a miracle!

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   

The potential of the defensin suite absolutely boggles my mind, I mean we're actually talking about the de facto elimination of bacterial/fungal/protistal disease in the very near future. Once Brilacidin proves the concept after finishing clinical trials the floodgates will open and investment will pour in.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tajlakz

The potential of the defensin suite absolutely boggles my mind, I mean we're actually talking about the de facto elimination of bacterial/fungal/protistal disease in the very near future. Once Brilacidin proves the concept after finishing clinical trials the floodgates will open and investment will pour in.

And despite other bobbles from the company with the IP, brilacidin actually seems fairly ... bulletproof in tests so far.

Time will tell.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join