It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The superbug (Phantom Menace) that doctors have been dreading just reached the U.S.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   
This is more than scary-

According to journalists at the Washington Post:

For the first time, researchers have found a person in the United States carrying bacteria resistant to antibiotics of last resort, an alarming development that the top U.S. public health official says could signal "the end of the road" for antibiotics. The antibiotic-resistant strain was found last month in the urine of a 49-year-old Pennsylvania woman. Defense Department researchers determined that she carried a strain of E. coli resistant to the antibiotic colistin, according to a study published Thursday in Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, a publication of the American Society for Microbiology. The authors wrote that the discovery "heralds the emergence of a truly pan-drug resistant bacteria."

They go on to say:

Colistin is the antibiotic of last resort for particularly dangerous types of superbugs, including a family of bacteria known as CRE, which health officials have dubbed "nightmare bacteria." In some instances, these superbugs kill up to 50 percent of patients who become infected. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has called CRE among the country's most urgent public health threats. Health officials said the case in Pennsylvania, by itself, is not cause for panic. The strain found in the woman is treatable with some other antibiotics. But researchers worry that the antibiotic-resistant gene found in the bacteria, known as mcr-1, could spread to other types of bacteria that can already evade other types of antibiotics.

OK - So, no need to be alarmed, right? It is a good thing I am anti-social and avoid groups of people!

It is amazing to me how deadly these tiny things can be, and how even with all of our medical advances we are apparently so powerless to defend against them. Perhaps we should think about alternative (non-Western) treatments?

Thanks for reading.

source< br />

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

I read an article on this. Thanks for bringing it up!

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I mean, I may be wrong, but your avoidance of people may not save you is this stays in ecoli.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Mr Headshot

Good point- I should avoid everything!

Actually, according to the Mayo Clinic:

Personal contact E. coli bacteria can easily travel from person to person, especially when infected adults and children don't wash their hands properly. Family members of young children with E. coli infection are especially likely to acquire it themselves. Outbreaks have also occurred among children visiting petting zoos and in animal barns at county fairs.

E. coli Causes
edit on 5262016 by seattlerat because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   
These things have been here since the beginning.

This is inevitable.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   
"Baby can you dig your man. He's a righteous man. Baby can you dig your man"- The Stand, by Steven (Stephen?) King

This is Captain Tripps.

Nice knowing ya Bitches!

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Cinnamon combined with honey is a powerful natural anti-bacterial.

Ginger is another little miracle worker for certain viruses.

A lady I used to work with was a biologist and she told me about these natural little helpers - I haven't needed an antibiotic since I've used them.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Researchers have found the MCR-1 gene in many countries:

www.cidrap.umn.edu...

But if it did provide an evolutionary advantage, all the bacteria would be using it by now.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 06:01 PM
link   

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   

So many people for the last few decades have demanded that their doctors prescribe antibiotics for them for virtually EVERYTHING- including things that antibiotics do not even affect, such as viruses. There has always been fear among the medical community that sooner or later either our bodies would become immune to antibiotics or that bacteria would mutate, thus making antibiotics ineffective. History repeats itself, and pandemics have always been a part of our history. It's only a matter of time...

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

At least when the plague strikes again we can blame it on Humans instead of Rodents... it has always irked me that rats get the bad rap for spreading the "Black Death"... this has been disputed for quite some time and the general consensus is that it was actually spread by FLEAS. Some have even gone so far as to say that PEOPLE were to blame!!!

Don't Blame the RATS- Plague spread by PEOPLE

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I am down with a rotten cold at the moment,just been on a course of antibiotics.I suffer from chronic sinusitis and once or twice a year it flares up to a fullblown infection.The moment i started feeling better from the sinus infection receding,the cold started.I'm not one who goes to the doc unless im really sick,so i very seldom use antibiotics.Seems to be the only thing that cures the sinus infections.I never get the flu,and although i do get a cold once a year or so,its usually only sniffles or a runny nose.

Hit me harder this time because my system was down from the infection,i think.But i've been drinking herbal tea with honey,lemon and ginger all day,and chicken soup,so at least i feel better than when i woke up.One should never take antibiotics unless it's absolutely necessary.When we first moved to this town 13 years ago my doc admitted me to the hospital and hooked me up with an iv for antibiotics.I thought that was absurd.

Then i noticed a pattern-she was always trying to admit one of us for minor ailments.The penny dropped then-she is a shareholder in the local hospital

These days she doesn't even try anymore,we just kept refusing and made excuses why we absolutely could not be confined to hospital.It was basically inferred that either she writes a script for meds we can take at home-or we go to another doc.Geez,hospitalised for bronchitis..i only fell for that joke once.
edit on 26-5-2016 by Raxoxane because: (no reason given)

(post by JaMeDoIt removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: HUMBLEONE
"Baby can you dig your man. He's a righteous man. Baby can you dig your man"- The Stand, by Steven (Stephen?) King

This is Captain Tripps.

Nice knowing ya Bitches!

Stephen King fan here
But can you sing it though?

I can't, but I have the actor who used to play "Uncle Martin" on My Favorite Martian singing it in my head. (That will really date me, most of you young whippersnappers probably have no idea what I am talking about.)

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: seattlerat
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

At least when the plague strikes again we can blame it on Humans instead of Rodents... it has always irked me that rats get the bad rap for spreading the "Black Death"... this has been disputed for quite some time and the general consensus is that it was actually spread by FLEAS. Some have even gone so far as to say that PEOPLE were to blame!!!

Don't Blame the RATS- Plague spread by PEOPLE

While true that the Bubonic Plague was initially spread by fleas it was lack of sanitary conditions (prompt and proper disposal of corpses, etc.) that caused it to spread as rampantly as it did. So in a sense yes, humans were much to blame then.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 10:19 PM
link   

I still know people to this day who will call their doctor because they have a sore throat or whatever other minor illness, and in an hour they're on their way to the pharmacy to pick up their prescription for antibiotics - which they will then proceed to take for a day or so and stop because they feel better.

It's been pissing me off for years as these people and their doctors (whose licenses should be revoked) are essentially contributing to the deaths of others - the crime is murder, the weapon is ignorance, stupidity and selfishness.

Antibiotics don't cure viral infections.

Partial courses of antibiotics are the best way to develop weapons of biological warfare.

People and their doctors who are contributing to this, in my opinion, are far greater a threat to us all than any terrorist could ever dream to be.

They should be treated as such. That's not hyperbole. They should be brought to GITMO to live the remainder of their days (days, not weeks) before being incinerated. Of course, we're at least a decade late already.

How the heck are "street drugs" illegal, when people are legally allowed to openly abuse much more damaging antibiotics? I would honestly rather a methcrackroin addict be free than an antibiotic biowar incubator terrorist. It should be the #1 priority in the drug war and The War Against Terrorism.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Here you go folks! Definitive proof of evolution.

PS: I was going to post this thread but then I searched and found you beat me to it. Good find. This is some scary stuff, and we need to get on top of it before it becomes a major issue.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 07:06 AM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

My grandmother is like that. HUGE hypochondriac. It's even worse when she sees a news report on the tv for the latest bug. "Ohhhh... I had a cough... I think I have that..." So off to the hospital she goes. So she'll probably think she has this bug too before long.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join