It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Louisiana governor set to sign 'Blue Lives Matter' bill Thursday

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Louisiana’s governor is expected to sign a first-of-its-kind bill Thursday afternoon that would make it a hate crime to target police officers and first responders.
Called the “Blue Lives Matter” bill, the measure expands the state’s hate crime law to include law enforcement officers, firefighters and other emergency medical services personnel.

Full Story: Louisiana governor set to sign 'Blue Lives Matter' bill Thursday

Hmmm...the last time I checked it was already illegal to assault a LEO. How can it be made more illegal? I'll never understand this whole "hate crime" malarky. If the goal is to make something more illegal, we have a precedent in place already that can be followed with degrees of killing (i.e. murder in the 1st, 2nd, manslaughter, etc..). Why not just amend the existing laws to make it a graduated punishment scale of existing laws based upon the individual case and intent?

I prefer the thoughts of the current Anti-Defamation League Regional Director Allison Padilla-Goodman, who suggests:

.... the bill “confuses the purpose of the Hate Crimes Act.” She also said it “weakens its impact by adding more categories of people who are already better protected under other laws.”

edit on 5/26/2016 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   
So now an occupation is going to be treated as a race or religion ?
Isn't that what a hate crime is. .....attacking someone because of race or religion?
With all the changes that our government is making the people who make dictionaries are never going to be able to keep up.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: JHumm

I agree. What profession will be next? Sports umpires/officials? After all, EVERYONE hates them. It's a universal among sports fans it seems to me. Perhaps assaulting them should now be a hate crime? < eye roll >

edit on 5/26/2016 by Krakatoa because: Mandela Effect

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Great, another law about making something illegal more illegal.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   

This is being tested to open the door and allow politicians and bankers to fall under the same legislation. You watch, it's coming.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 5/26.2016 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Good. Now Black Lives Matter might finally be held accountable by someone.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Like you, I really dislike distinguishing between a crime or a hate crime, because a good attorney can get a higher sentence for a guilty defendant by proving hateful motive--this is why crimes generally have a range of punishment to which a guilty person can be sentenced.

I abhor mandatory sentencing, and the article says that felony hate crimes bring...well, from the source:

Under Louisiana’s new measure, anyone convicted of a hate crime-related felony could face up to an additional $5,000 fine and five years behind bars. For a misdemeanor, the punishment comes with a $500 fine and an additional six-month prison sentence.

Adding monetary and incarceration-time limits just because of motive is terrible, to me, when it could just be added across the board as a possible punishment to all who are guilty of similar crimes.

But, that said, if hate crimes are going to exist, I agree with this addition to the list. It's also very telling when you look at who is noted in the article as opposing the legislation.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 04:10 AM
link   

The only thing I mind is the Redundancy of the protection, as it's already as stated unlawful to attack a Cop.

But I understand, as Cops have being an organization that is targeted specifically for hate.

I've never hear NWA say "# the Referees and Umpires"... I have heard them say "# the Police".
Never heard people rap about killing Referees and Umpires... I have heard songs like "Cop Killer" though.

I find it interesting, though I understand why, that EMT and Fire get the same. These aren't really Targeted Groups. I get that they are City/State and Civic... but no one talks about "Man, I'm so mad at the man, I'm gonna go kill some EMTs!" But they sure do talk about killing cops.

I would think all Law Enforcement should fall under this, and if the explicit purpose was to Target them for being Law Enforcement it makes a bit of sense. Still not really needed, but I get it.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 04:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: JHumm
So now an occupation is going to be treated as a race or religion ?
Isn't that what a hate crime is. .....attacking someone because of race or religion?
With all the changes that our government is making the people who make dictionaries are never going to be able to keep up.

Is it just about Race or Religion?

Is Homosexuality a Race or Religion? Yet it's protected under Hate Status.

So is it really so far fetched (although I see it unnecessary and redundant) to think an Organization who is targeted by Hate should fall under such protection as well?

Ever hear the NWA song "# the Bankers!" No... wait... that's not it. Oh yeah... "# the Police"... that was it.

How about that great song "School Teacher Killer"... no, that's not it. Oh yeah, it was 'Cop Killer'.

And I don't hear BLM doing chants about other Professions... I hear "Kill the Pig, Cook the Bacon".

Sounds like Cops are a group under some rather intense hate... for at least 30 Years now.

Again, I agree it's redundant and not needed... they are already protected... but they are absolutely a group targeted by intense hate.

And since Homosexuality is a Sexual Preference, and not a Race or Religion... does that not open the protection up beyond the scope of Race and Religion?

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 07:47 PM
link   

I do think this is unessessary but what is happening to them is hate...these are hate crimes.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   

They are going to make it, illegaler, maybe the illegalerest!

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Well more power to the police in Louisiana so they can be judges and executioner of black people.

What a jerk for governor, he knows exactly what he is doing.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy
Well, now we have 2 new words to add to the dictionary...illegaler, illegalest.

edit on 9-7-2016 by veracity because: (no reason given)

top topics

join