It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TWO F/A18 Fighter Jets Crash in Atlantic Ocean, Pilots Being Flown to Hospital

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   
The Virginian Pilot

Two F/A 18 Fighter jets have crashed into the Atlantic Ocean, off of the Outer banks of North Carolina. It is near Oceana Naval Base.

Petty Officer Fagal Nifin said four people have been recovered and are being taken to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital. The hospital is the area's only Level I Trauma Center. Nifin said the extent of injuries is unknown...Navy officials did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

This is a developing story.

RT.com

Four people have been recovered and taken to the Sentara Norfolk General Hospital in Norfolk, Virginia, the Virginian-Pilot reported citing Coast Guard Petty Officer Fagal Nifin.Nifin said the extent of the crew members’ injuries is “unknown.”The McDonnell Douglas F/A-18 Hornet is a fighter/attack aircraft in service with the US Navy and the Marine Corps. Given that four crew members were recovered from the ocean, the planes involved look to be the two-seater F/A-18B models.

edit on 26-5-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   
What would cause two jets to crash at the same time like that? I could understand one crashing and it being pilot error, but two at the same time, idk.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Quantumgamer1776

They collided.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   

I don't know. We have a lot of members that have more knowledge of military aorcraft. One article does mention that it is 'often used as a training area'. Pilot error?

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Quantumgamer1776
What would cause two jets to crash at the same time like that? I could understand one crashing and it being pilot error, but two at the same time, idk.

Not the first time this has happened labeled "training exercise" accident. Another loss in the secret alien human war.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

They collided.

I knew someone would be along

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

RT is wrong, having four crew doesn't make them B models. ABC is reporting they were Super Hornets which would make them F models. The B/D/F are all two seat variants.
edit on 5/26/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

RT is wrong, having four crew doesn't made them B models. ABC is reporting they were Super Hornets which would make them F models. The B/D/F are all two seat variants.

Ok, ty.

here it is. ABC News

The incident involved two military F/A-18 Super Hornets, according to the Navy, and the matter is under investigation.All four aviators ejected safely, and have been pulled from the water, a Navy official told ABC News.

As of that writing, they were still searching for the planes.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   
The Navy does a lot of training out there. The Supers could have been doing some ACM or even some ingress to bombing at Dare county. I can think of 10 easy reasons for a mid air. Glad they've been picked up.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Based on nothing but "they collided" my WAG is that they were rejoining in formation and one lost sight of the other and they hit.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Sucks to loose two planes, but great to hear all were picked up. Hope they all recover quickly.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   
pilotonline.com...

they were picked up by a fishing vessel.

lucky the boat was in the area.

The jets were assigned to Strike Fighter Squadron 211 at Oceana Naval Air Station and were on a routine training mission when the crash occurred, the Navy said in a statement.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

Not the first time this has happened labeled "training exercise" accident. Another loss in the secret alien human war.

Yes, because that's so much more likely than human error, during training.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I swear to God, they must have a requirement that you get your brain sucked out to be a reporter.

Navy officials did not provide details on the extent of the damage the planes sustained.

www.cbsnews.com...

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 02:28 AM
link   

sad to hear this

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

Yes, because that's so much more likely than human error, during training.

Yes you're right it is more likely than the constant human error stories. Glad to see we are in agreement.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   

The fact that four people were recovered (meaning no casualties ?) Is odd as when two Large fast moving and HEAVY objects (fighter jets) full of highly flammable materials (jet fuel) crash into each other in the air, they shred apart (including the people inside) so . . . .uh, yeah, that's kind of weird. Could have been a new energy/magnetic weapon? Lot's of Chinese and Russian military snooping around this side of the world as of late. Or could be something less out of the ordinary? Though I can't think of something to explain two downed F-18' other than pilot error or an attack.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: 191stMIDET

It depends on how the collision occurred. If they hit wing to tail, or something similar it would be easy to get it OK.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Not much new information on what happened, but the timing of the accident made me chuckle. When the accident occurred, senior Navy officials were testifying in front of Congress about the low readiness levels of the F-18 fleet.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Ah, irony. Gotta love it.

new topics

top topics

join