It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Followed me home...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   
So, yeah.. I went running today as I always do. And just as it happened last year... so it happened again today. This time though I had 2 dogs follow me home.

I thought they were my neighbors dogs because they wandered up his driveway and into his yard. I didn't see them following me down the road and it wasn't until I returned from my run that I noticed they were both hanging out under the shade tree...just laying there.. like they had always been there..Both are friendly and very loving animals. But I noticed the one had a serious issue right away. His hind leg he wasn't using properly. It was all stiff and straight when he walked.

So..up to the vet I go. Willing to spend what I needed to in order to make sure they were healthy and get the one dogs leg taken care of. Neither of them are chipped and only one had a collar...but it had no tags.

The vet says that his leg is not fixable. That he needs to have it cut off. Her best assessment is that he was hit by a car a few years ago and it healed improperly. The whole thing from his hip down needed to go. She said she would give them to the humane society so they could put him in a rescued dog program.

I just got back from taking the second one up to the vets..and now I am upset because I feel like I've abandoned them again. All these two want is a place to call home and I've let them down.. like all the other people who turned a blind eye or ignored them. (two years with a gimp leg and no one that they came across ever bothered to get it checked out?)

So, now I am torn.. between letting them go and possibly just accepting them back into my home and my life. The vet told me I could call in a few weeks to see how they are.. and I don't know if they would let me take them back or not..after they go to the humane society and get fixed up. I was prepared to help them out ..but the surgery is pretty expensive and they aren't my dogs.

Just looking to see what others would do or if anyone has had such an experience before. I feel like I've lost something that I never owned..yet can't help but worry about whether they'll be taken care of or not..

anyhow.. any advice/experiences would be welcome.

Thanks,
blend57

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: blend57

You already know the right thing to do.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   

I agree with the above poster. You'll find a way to continue to right this wrong - you're on the right path - but I haven't had this exact experience, so my advice is limited. Trust your gut.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I know what I want to do.. but I have 3 dogs already and they are pretty expensive to care for. And yes, I am guilt ridden and upset about the whole thing.

So, finances and ability to care for two more come into play as well.

Thanks for your response.

blend57

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   

If you set up a GoFund me or something similar I would donate.

I bet several people on here would.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Good God who cut the onions😢

Can you go back and get them. Where are you. I'll take them! I got a great vet.
You must be gut wrenched. I'm torn for you. But you took them to the vet. Was there no ID Chip?
"Feels"
Look at their faces😢

My kids

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   

They followed you for a reason. They will be grateful to you for the rest of their lives...they need you and will be the best pets ever.

But No guilt or anything

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Me Too!

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Sent you a PM.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Missmissie173

I know.. I want to keep them.. cost/care (attention and financial) have to weighed though. I have three dogs and a full time job. My daughter and I share in the care of the animals.. walking them, playing with them.. spending time with them. That is the type of care I'm worried I can't provide.

Plus one will be a special needs (at least for a bit)

I work a full time job and I am the only provider for the household. Please understand I am not saying I want to abandon them (they aren't mine) But.. I was really looking for some ideas and ways I could keep them .. what type of special care the one dog will need.. to see if there was a way I could keep them.

Trust me.. I am already very emotional about this. I don't need to be feeling any more guilt or depression..

Thanks
blend57

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   

I feel you. I've taken in lots of dogs and cats over the years who just show up around me. I guess they know I'm a sucker.... no way can I just walk away.

One time I found a kitten crying outside my apartment window with a bad bite wound on her head. She appeared to have a brain injury - she had trouble seeing, couldn't walk right, and was having little seizures. I took her to the vet, who strongly advised me to let her put the little thing down, as you really can't tell how these brain injuries will go. I said no, and the vet compromised with me to let the kitten stay there for 2-3 days under observation. The deal was, if she didn't get better (or got worse) the vet would go ahead and put her down. I took the deal, and called the vet after 3 days, fully expecting her to say she had euthanized her (as she had wanted to do from the beginning). Miracles of miracles, she had greatly improved and just needed time for the swelling in her brain to go down. I took her home, named her Grace (because she was like the song Amazing Grace), and gave her a loving home for 16 years.

I'd donate to a gofundme account to help you out a little.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   
What are the rules for that kind of thing here? Is a go fund me request allowed to be posted here?

I'd help too. I miss my poopsie. She left us last summer.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   

I dropped a few hundred for surgery on my ex's dog. He was just a puppy and was hit by a hit and run driver.

It was worth it for the dog's sake.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Firstly, You shouldn't feel any guilt. You went way beyond what most people would do and because Your intentions are true, then it is a positive as opposed to non-positive.

Are You near a college/university that has a veterinary school? Many times they do services as a 'learning experience' and it is way less expensive.

I also have a Weimaraner/Staffordshire Bull Terrier that evidently got run over by a golf cart. I sweet talked Her into coming home from the Florida Weimaraner Rescue and it took Me 45 min. to get Her into the golf cart. Her whole right side's growth was retarded, smaller paws, white nails, etc. She hasn't allowed it to stop Her and it seems that going into the pond at the dog park is very therapeutic .

"Thank You" from the rest of Us that Love the canine.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Hey, GoFundMe . . . I'd donate to that to help you out.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   
First things first ... you have NOT let them down. You recognized their distress when others ignored them, and took them to a place where they can find comfort and treatment. A rescue group will step in and get them medically and emotionally ready for adoption with the perfect family. If you are still worried about them, perhaps you can offer to foster them for the rescue group until they are adopted out. That way you can help them out personally, but only on a temporary basis. If while fostering them you find that 2 extra dogs isn't as much work as you thought it might be and that you love them too much to let them go, well then adopt them. Otherwise you get to participate in helping them find their forever loving homes

edit on 26-5-2016 by eeyipes because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
What are the rules for that kind of thing here? Is a go fund me request allowed to be posted here?

As long as it's for animals or my booze fund it is permitted.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Good on you for taking them to the vet. Every animal I have right now 'chose me.' They just came into my life. But you must do what is best for you and your family. If you do decide to set up a gofundme, please pm me.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: eeyipes

Omg! Really? That would be perfect! It lets me see if I can truly care for them as needed.. plus keeps me involved in the whole process..

ty sooo much!

I really, really appreciate your response!

thanks,
blend57

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Absolute kudos for anyone who helps animals in need.

I've had twelve cats over my lifetime so far and all but one were adoptions.

They knew and acted like they knew they'd been saved.

ANIMALS KNOW WHEN YOU'VE HELPED THEM!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join