It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: 9 Women Claiming Baby 81 in Sri Lanka

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 08:43 AM
link   
A small infant swaddled in a blanket coos and plays and is blissfully unaware of the commotion that revolves around him. Known only as Baby 81, the infant was brought to the hospital bruised and battered in the aftermath of the tsunami. He now is at the center of a growing dispute with over 9 women making claims on him. The women fight with each other, have threatened suicide, and threatened to kill the doctors if they are not the one awarded the child. DNA testing will likely have to be performed to know for sure.

story.news.yahoo.com
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - The infant dubbed "Baby 81" nurses from a bottle of milk and kicks playfully at a pink blanket as nine desperate, heartbroken women quarrel over him — all claiming he was torn from them by the tsunami.

One man standing outside the nursery at Kalmunai Base Hospital threatened to kill himself and his wife if they are not given the baby. A woman at the hospital said she would kill the doctors unless she gets him.

The battle over the wide-eyed boy, who appears to be about three or four months old, symbolizes the enormous loss in the Dec. 26 disaster.

Children accounted for a staggering 40 percent — or 12,000 — of Sri Lanka's death toll of nearly 31,000. In all, nearly 160,000 people have died across southern Asia.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

In Sri Lanka an estimated 40 percent of the deaths were children. Being a parent myself I can only imagine what they are going through. Hopefully DNA testing will return the child to the rightful parents. I hope also that the women fighting for him get help with third grief and loss.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 08:51 AM
link   
There have been a rash of child abductions since this disaster hit. I know it must be the most painfull thing to lose a child, and that probably is playing a large role in the way these people are acting. Accepting your child is gone can not be an easy thing to handle.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 08:57 AM
link   
i feel sorry as well ,8 of these woman have lost a child and despretly want 1 back just as people from developed contries do as well, i feel these ppl need pysco theropy and have there minds mybe not healed but eased at the least

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rugoolian
i feel sorry as well ,8 of these woman have lost a child and despretly want

Actually, none of them may be the mother
. DNA testing will have to decide. Also from what it sounds liek they may have to go to war with the nurses who are no doubt wanting to take him home as well.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Stories like this give me more reason to want children microchiped at birth. No I am not talking about the kind that can be tracked, I am talking about a simple chip that will ID the child instantly with a hand held scanner.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Maybe these women are so grief stricken after losing babies. I dunno, it's awful.

At least DNA testing will sort it.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots
Stories like this give me more reason to want children microchiped at birth. No I am not talking about the kind that can be tracked, I am talking about a simple chip that will ID the child instantly with a hand held scanner.

DNA is the equivalent of a microchip, at this level.
I have a feeling that there are lots more stories like this that we aren't hearing about.

I thought about my own statement here, and decided that, DNA isn't really the equivalent of a chip..
Reality is, I'm uncomfortable with the whole CHIPPING idea..
Transponder style or not...I'm not a fan of the idea..SO my post was a little biased..

Space

[edit on 15-1-2005 by spacedoubt]

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   
DNA will solve this quite easily won't it; unless there are sisters competing for the baby.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   
DNA will solve this quite easily won't it; unless there are sisters competing for the baby.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 03:40 PM
link   
UPDATE: DNA Testing was conducted today on the baby. I hope one of the many possible parents tested is reunited with their child.

Article

new topics

top topics

join