It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Photos Show Titan Has Orange Surface

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 08:19 AM
link   
As scientist continue to analize the take from the Huygens probe, they have revealed that titan has an orange surface adn a sea of methane with islands can be seen in the distance.

I do not have upload capacity at work. Can anybody put up a picture?

DARMSTADT, Germany - New, refined pictures from Saturn's moon Titan released Saturday show a pale orange surface covered by a thin haze of methane and what appears to be a methane sea complete with islands and a mist-shrouded coastline.

Space officials worked through the night to sharpen the new photos taken by the space probe Huygens, which snapped the images on Friday as it plunged through Titan's atmosphere before landing by parachute on the surface.

Many officials looked tired from their overnight work but were still clearly elated about the successful arrival of data from Huygens the day before — a major triumph for the European space program.
Orange

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 08:26 AM
link   
A sea of methane.....I guess the no smoking light was on? A sea of methane is kind of hard to comprehend here. I cant imagine what it must be like to stand on that shore line. I wonder if you could actually swim in it? I know its super cold there. I think I heard on the news coverage that it is something like -180 degrees there. SUPER COLD! Does anyone know methanes boiling and freezing points right off hand?

Im ready for some BIG PICS of this place!

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 08:42 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...'

the pics can be found in this thread.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 08:50 AM
link   
correct me if im wrong but has it been proven as fact there is water on mars as i beleive there could be sumthing realy kl to all this ,science can use water (H2O) to create oxygen so could methane on titan be proccessed on a large scale and proccesed oxygen from mars be used as a fuel source for a return trip to our outer solar system

there must be billions of barrels of metane to be harvested, who owns titan or has claimed ownership ,billions of £$£$£$£$£$

it mine ive claimed ownership just like that guy did with the moon

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   
IS Methane naturally occuring, or does it take decompsing organic material to create methane?

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   
In this case it has to be the precursor to organic materials because it cannot be the other way around..

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Woot
, does anyone know if there is video footage from the landing on the net?

[edit on 15-1-2005 by beyondSciFi]

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
In this case it has to be the precursor to organic materials because it cannot be the other way around..

you're referring to the methane "seas" on titan right? So that means there is a very strong chance of some form of (probably primitive) life on titan?

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Methane is the simplest organic molecule and in this case was formed chemically not biologically.

[edit on 1/15/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 01:05 PM
link   
After looking at the colour pic of Titan I am quite suprised. I expected it to be very dark considering the amount of clouds and it's distance from the sun...

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 01:07 PM
link   

story.news.yahoo.com.../ap/20050115/ap_on_sc/europe_saturn

Never thought that I would ever see a shoreline on another planet. Good find as always FredT.

Note: Try turning your head clockwise to see it properly

[edit on 1/15/2005 by Simulacra]

E_T

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kidfinger
Does anyone know methanes boiling and freezing points right off hand?
Shoudn't be hard to find.

en.wikipedia.org...

Originally posted by Rugoolian
science can use water (H2O) to create oxygen so could methane on titan be proccessed on a large scale and proccesed oxygen from mars be used as a fuel source for a return trip to our outer solar system
Mars and Titan are quite far away from each others, remember how long Cassini's trip took.

top topics

join