It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oberlin Students Want to Abolish Midterms And Any Grades Below C

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 03:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
"Because I'm dealing with having been arrested on campus, or having to deal with the things that my family are going through because of larger systems — having to deal with all of that, I can't produce the work that they want me to do. But I understand the material, and I can give it to you in different ways."

Oberlin and Mizzou is going to end up being an embarrassing point on a resume most will try to omit if they keep this up. What employer in any field would hire someone who decided to spend time stirring up racist movements in their scholastic career verses study, then demand they get compensated by getting free good grades just for existing.

You know the day you hire them, they would be demanding maternity leave...even though its a single guy who simply identifies as a new mother or some bullcrap.

Parents, force your kids to either take a STEM field, or trade college.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Upon reconsidering:

They want the lowest grade to be a C
C is average

So, C would then be failure

Maybe the average person at Oberlin is simply a failure and that scoring system is more accurate.
That was very thoughtful and honest of them.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Don't Hire anyone from Oberlin College...where 'C' is the New 'F'

If they are really thinking ahead, they will want to make that reaction illegal.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

My last course of study required a B- or better to pass. After getting an Associates I transferred schools and I am required to have a D to pass the courses. I cannot begin to explain what a load of stress is removed when that bar is lowered (I still maintain a 3.68, I just have less stress about it).

I cannot fathom the level of entitlement that one would have to have to demand a school automatically pass you because your extracurricular activities took up too much time. Kids these days need to get their priorities straight.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 06:49 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

So this would be why most employers don't think that students coming out of college are ready for the workplace which is why so many are stuck living at home and working part-time making my lattes?

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 07:00 AM
link   

a reply to: Urantia1111

Oberlin is probably ahead of the curve...this appears to be the natural evolution of universities. Report cards will eventually be replaced by rap sheets listing arrests for civil disobedience.

Maybe that's what the 9 page Common Core report card system is for!

They don't really need all that space for grade school kids, but as they go up, they will start adding in the rap sheet and activism as part of the assessment to mask the actual fail? And by then, they might actually need all those pages.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Maybe Oberlin should get an 'A' for Honesty.
"We're not a school to prepare you to succeed in that defunct world of Capitalism...we're nurturing future community organizers and POTUS'."

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Next they will demand social activism is an accredited course and they should all recieve A's.

Where are the parents paying for this at? My kid would hear me coming down the hall.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Some recent 'on-campus' protest examples:

At Oberlin, it started in December, when the temperatures ran high, although the weeping willows and the yellow poplars that had flared in the fall were bare already. Problems had a tendency to escalate.

There was, to name one thing, the food fight: students had noted the inauthenticity of food at the school’s Afrikan Heritage House, and followed up with an on-site protest. (Some international students, meanwhile, complained that cafeteria dishes such as sushi and bánh mì were prepared with the wrong ingredients, making a mockery of cultural cuisine.)

There was scrutiny of the curriculum: a student wanted trigger warnings on “Antigone.”

In mid-December, a group of black students wrote a fourteen-page letter to the school’s board and president outlining fifty nonnegotiable demands for changes in Oberlin’s admissions and personnel policies, academic offerings, and the like.

“You include Black and other students of color in the institution and mark them with the words ‘equity, inclusion and diversity,’ ” it said, “when in fact this institution functions on the premises of imperialism, white supremacy, capitalism, ableism, and a cissexist heteropatriarchy.”

www.newyorker.com...

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Some recent 'on-campus' protest examples:

At Oberlin, it started in December, when the temperatures ran high, although the weeping willows and the yellow poplars that had flared in the fall were bare already. Problems had a tendency to escalate.

There was, to name one thing, the food fight: students had noted the inauthenticity of food at the school’s Afrikan Heritage House, and followed up with an on-site protest. (Some international students, meanwhile, complained that cafeteria dishes such as sushi and bánh mì were prepared with the wrong ingredients, making a mockery of cultural cuisine.)

There was scrutiny of the curriculum: a student wanted trigger warnings on “Antigone.”

In mid-December, a group of black students wrote a fourteen-page letter to the school’s board and president outlining fifty nonnegotiable demands for changes in Oberlin’s admissions and personnel policies, academic offerings, and the like.

“You include Black and other students of color in the institution and mark them with the words ‘equity, inclusion and diversity,’ ” it said, “when in fact this institution functions on the premises of imperialism, white supremacy, capitalism, ableism, and a cissexist heteropatriarchy.”

www.newyorker.com...

No mistakes can be made anymore. Human error is out the window.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

This proves that activism is a platform to make self-seeking demands. It's all a costume for people who seek power.

Activism for Activism's sake.
How long before the pendulum swings and we begin to see 'Anti-Activism' Activism?

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   

"You know, we're paying for a service. We're paying for our attendance here. We need to be able to get what we need in a way that we can actually consume it," student Zakiya Acey told The New Yorker.

Race to the bottom....I can see this going down well in German or Japanese Universities....hahaha

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

This is retarded! I have to hire 7 new technicians, how am I to trust that the people I hire know the difference between a screwdriver and an oscilloscope if there are no standards?

When interviewing them have a co worker come in and casually drop a few loaded (industry-situational) questions, see their responses, weed them out and avoid a law suit....oh an make sure they can do simple math without a calculator....and ask what their favourite tv shows are...I could go on...but I'm sure you've been in business long enough.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   

simples - introduce a " practical element " to the interview process

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

This is retarded! I have to hire 7 new technicians, how am I to trust that the people I hire know the difference between a screwdriver and an oscilloscope if there are no standards?

When interviewing them have a co worker come in and casually drop a few loaded (industry-situational) questions, see their responses, weed them out and avoid a law suit....oh an make sure they can do simple math without a calculator....and ask what their favourite tv shows are...I could go on...but I'm sure you've been in business long enough.

Have someone walk in and informally ask the applicant: "How 'Bout Those Redskins?"

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

Thanks, and oh yeah, been in business a long time lol. If I see hobbies: activism or goals: make everyone equal, yeah they'll be out the door :-)

Cheers - Dave

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: In4ormant
Next they will demand social activism is an accredited course and they should all recieve A's.

Where are the parents paying for this at? My kid would hear me coming down the hall.

They have those at colleges. Some campuses even keep a resident activist.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Snowflake Alert!

Well, okay.
In a nutshell...students at Oberlin College are worried that academics are getting in the way of their activism.

Simple solution: Start a petition to get rid of those pesky tests...and because their grades have been suffering (what with all the protesting, travelling to protests and getting arrested and all)...they would really prefer to receive no grades lower than a 'C'.

The Ivy Leagues already don't fail students, it has nothing to do with snowflakes but rather with economics. Schools that are prestigious enough to be exclusive can sell degrees.

Anyways, the college won't seriously consider this petition, college education as a whole is heading in this direction for many schools though.

I don't know why you're expecting better though, college by definition is a place where people go to learn. Meaning they aren't learned when they attend otherwise known as, colleges are full of idiots. So why be surprised when students act like idiots?

Edit: Just took a look at the colleges webpage, I knew nothing about the school before. After looking at their webpage I see they sell their programs based on ethnic and gender diversity rather than by course content. A good 80% of their majors (rough estimate on my part) are completely worthless as well. So I think that sums on this school.
edit on 26-5-2016 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 11:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

School is to learn skills and a trade.

If you want to be useless and broke you can do that for basically free.

What a bunch of useless idiots.

College is to learn how to think, the vast majority of people who graduate college do not end up in the field their degree is in. As a system to learn a trade it's pretty useless.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 11:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: 200Plus
My last course of study required a B- or better to pass. After getting an Associates I transferred schools and I am required to have a D to pass the courses. I cannot begin to explain what a load of stress is removed when that bar is lowered (I still maintain a 3.68, I just have less stress about it).

At every college I have attended a D- is good enough, with the exception of a few in major classes. What I have found is that when a D- is required, professors will adjust the course material such that X% of students get a D- or above, if a C- is what's required they adjust the content so X% of students get a C- instead. Following that logic, that means it's actually easier to maintain a higher GPA when the minimum grade is higher since you're shooting for a 2.0 in each class rather than a 1.0.

I cannot fathom the level of entitlement that one would have to have to demand a school automatically pass you because your extracurricular activities took up too much time. Kids these days need to get their priorities straight.

Try having a program like mine, if the professors find out you're working they'll actually kick you out of the major on the excuse that it's time you should spend on classes rather than employment (and the classes tend to be intensive enough that the time really is needed). Maybe that's the cure for these students, if they have time to protest 40 minutes away, then their professors clearly aren't being hard enough on them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join