It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Foxconn Just Replaced 60,000 Workers With Robots

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

There is no threat in my post, just a simple statement of the reality of the situation. Automation is taking low skilled jobs at an increasing rate. Automation has now advanced to the point where moderately skilled jobs are being lost. Unlike in past industrial revolutions, those jobs are not being replaced. They're never coming back. That's reality. We'll have to find out what we're going to do with those who've lost jobs and can no longer find work. Some sort of basic income will become necessary if there are literally no jobs for people to have.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Vdogg

Of course I could be wrong, but the future seems absolutely horrifying to me (as far as jobs and livelihoods go).

I've mentioned in other threads that I do believe that (provided we don't blow ourselves up or get taken out by a giant meteor) we will one day reach that Star Trek: The Next Generation type world. A world where almost everyone's needs are met and people pursue their interests and all that.

Unfortunately, we are going to go through some serious, excruciating growing pains and my fear is that we are just in the very beginning of this brutal curve.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: neveroddoreven99

Condescension aside, I have taken an economics course and understand the nature of investment. My post was a statement of fact. In general, those savings are pocketed, with only minor cost savings passed on to the consumer. The question has to be asked however, once you put everyone out of work, who is going to buy all that expensive stuff you make?

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vdogg

originally posted by: makemap
www.digitaltrends.com...

Another article.

Anyways. I wonder what those 60k workers going to do?

Edit: Well if it is cheaper to build, they better make their computers cheaper or else, it won't be good for the economy.

But you and I both know they won't make it cheaper. They're simply going to pocket the difference.

Mind as well ban computers in schools. Oh right College and Uni are bought out. They require corporate machinery to teach.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   
So we will have a futre with 3 types of people.
the VERY rich. the rich who serve them.
and the people with No money. 95% of the people.

when we have built the robots for them
and the robots look after them & build more.
they will Not need us any more.
so they will get rid of us.
mostly sterilisation and kill off's.
later they will kill of whats left of the 90%
they will keep 5% as slaves just in case!

and there is Nothing you can do about it.
just keep building robots for them.
you may get lucky and be one of the slaves.
oh! you are on ATS. we are dead......

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   
an economy is spending. my spending is your income, your spending is my income

the robots won't be spending any money

this is death spiral for an economy
edit on 26-5-2016 by syrinx high priest because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: syrinx high priest
an economy is spending. my spending is your income, your spending is my income

the robots won't be spending any money

this is death spiral for an economy

The system is going to have to fall sooner or later. Everyone is overworked. 8 hrs+ to fking survive is ridiculous. Part time jobs to live a life is dead. Over consumption(not talking about eating food) and overbuild. Over what? Money to survive. To live in a shelter. To buy food that you are forbidden to farm. Back then wasn't that much an issue. Majority of the people were farmers.
edit on 26-5-2016 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: markosity1973

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
Agree with your conclusion, but it's pretty difficult with laws in place as they are. It'll be a difficult transition, but I have hope we get through this together. Technology should be embraced and used for the public good. I just hope there isn't enough short sighted people who backlash against the advancements instead of innovating the social sphere.

What is the point of innovation if it creates poverty?

Joblessness = poverty. And with a burgeoning world population, we need more jobs for people, not less of them.....

People need to work for money and to keep them occupied. And please don't suggest the services sector or IT. We can't sustain an economy full of insurance salesmen and computer programmers.

You need to be careful not to price labor out of a job. They have machines now that can make 400 burgers in an hour. Easy for fast food to replace them the only thing that prevents it is until cost vs labor costs. But you make labor costs to high and they will make the investment. Here's a secret many don't get want to increase tech spending by companies you increase there labor costs. What would normally be to large an expense becomes a sound business decision. When I can take 2 people and run a McDonald's cutting out labor which is a companies biggest expense.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Flint Michigan lost about that many and look how it's doing.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   
The autonomous work force is here and innovations are advancing rapidly. Human jobs are going to continually be replaced by robotic technology and it is going to happen fast. In a utopian like society, it would be ideal to have an autonomous workforce to the lessen the demand upon the human population and allow them more time to pursue their passions and to learn how to live and be human. But, due to the shackle of the human financial system and unyielding yoke of corporatocracy, it will mean loss of jobs and greater competition for the low quality jobs that most humans are qualified for.

It is sad really, because looking to the future I could see an outcome where mankind is liberated from the machine of 40+year/40+hr by the machines. Seems the most important thing to a lot of people are jobs, but it is only inevitable that mankind cannot keep the pace of a job for every person. Technology has always replaced jobs, and in the future, technology will greatly replace jobs. Production lines, transportation, customer service, shipping, agriculture etc. The birth rate is greater than deaths and there is only so many crap jobs we can create to keep people employed. The ratio is not 1:1. Automation can liberate mankind, or impoverish us. Knowing mankind and this system of things, I am prediction impoverishment. Liberation may come, but it will take a great human revolution.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   

I say that capitalism is working perfectly. Free market competition encourages not only finding cheaper labor but constantly reducing the amount of labor needed.

That just proves that capitalism is unsustainable and destructive if not downright evil. I can't see how that's something to celebrate.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 10:16 PM
link   

We need to start working on a basic income and we needed to start working on it yesterday.

I agree.

The world's larges corporation that are in industries are doing their best to remove humans, because robots will work for free.

This is about GREED!

More profits, for the share holders, more profits for the companies, more profits for Wall Street.

However, this will destroy these corporations in the end. When man cannot find employment where he lives, he will move.

As more and more people are pushed out of the work force and are unemployed because more and more jobs going robotics, it will come to a point that no one will have money to buy these industries products.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   
The $15 per hour minimum wage movement equals automation! Robots at the golden arches but the dumbing down in the public school equal hungry people who can't work the technology.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   
In California some of the biggest lobbyists for the minimum wage increase came from the robotics industry.

I wonder why?

combine the wage cost with taxes, insurance, training, turnover, sick leave, maternity leave, vacation days, religious exemptions and add in the added cost of work comp fraud and you have a recipe for a robot. They don't complain and can work almost 24/7/365.

I would be crunching numbers now if I was in an industry that I could automate and if I had stock holders to account to I would be negligent if I didn't.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Maybe the powers that be should've suppressed robotics like Tesla's work.

Oh well too late now

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: MEDIKATED
The new job to get will be robot repairman.

Autonomous self-replicating robotic maintenance unit will take your job.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

Just work in the automation field, problem solved.
No just kidding.

True, not only the cheap jobs but also jobs like a wood worker (not a carpenter, the oneś manufacturing chairs and such) have been slowly replaced by cheap IKEA want-to-be-wood furnitures and such.

Who can afford to buy real handmade furniture?
Affording it is not the only problem. We live in a throw away world.

The best example is the wooden crib I made lately. It took me two weeks evenings to build it from scratch, hand crafted and made with love. You know what some visitor said (me not being there) "Is that selfmade? It almost looks like bought". With the quality you get today, that was an insult to me, because there are just four screws in the whole thing -and those are for the rollers on the bottom.

people just forgot how to value things.
rant over.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

Then, you would not be able to write this.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   
What's forgotten is even as those loggers were losing jobs to automation and new environmental policy, andfinding jobs elsewhere, some of them fell out and never adjusted. Alcoholism and so on. Some stayed with family.

Quick! Bury it under the rug. In 1941 it'll get swept way with the tide, except the family members who have to live with the painful memories. What's remembered can be revised and fed to the children's children.

History is not the nicely wrapped up thing it's thought to be. It was a mess. So this idea innovation will be met with utopian company is ludicrous and due in part to the same thought process which distorts the past. It may eventually be utopian for the children in that world, maybe.

I do think this is the right course. But it's not easy. For us, I think much of the challenge will be mental. We'll have to change how we think and what we accept. For many it'll be an insurmountable task. They will die.

I always think of that book I read. A woman was offered essentially immortality. She declined. Why? Who wouldn't want immortality? That's insane! Such is reality. Sometimes we don't have to know why. We just do.
edit on 5/27/2016 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Informer1958

We need to start working on a basic income and we needed to start working on it yesterday.

I agree.

The world's larges corporation that are in industries are doing their best to remove humans, because robots will work for free.

This is about GREED!

More profits, for the share holders, more profits for the companies, more profits for Wall Street.

However, this will destroy these corporations in the end. When man cannot find employment where he lives, he will move.

As more and more people are pushed out of the work force and are unemployed because more and more jobs going robotics, it will come to a point that no one will have money to buy these industries products.

Not when they find a way to stay young forever. Which is what their researching right now. The only option left is war when the old doesn't die.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join