It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Foxconn Just Replaced 60,000 Workers With Robots

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Well, they've been talking about it for years, finally went ahead and did it. 600 companies in the same Chinese province plan to follow suit. This will absolutely devastate the local working population (2.5 million currently live there) and I fear what this means for the future. We need to start working on a basic income and we needed to start working on it yesterday.

www.bbc.com...

One factory has "reduced employee strength from 110,000 to 50,000 thanks to the introduction of robots", a government official told the South China Morning Post.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Agree with your conclusion, but it's pretty difficult with laws in place as they are. It'll be a difficult transition, but I have hope we get through this together. Technology should be embraced and used for the public good. I just hope there isn't enough short sighted people who backlash against the advancements instead of innovating the social sphere.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   
www.digitaltrends.com...

Another article.

Anyways. I wonder what those 60k workers going to do?

Edit: Well if it is cheaper to build, they better make their computers cheaper or else, it won't be good for the economy.
edit on 25-5-2016 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
Agree with your conclusion, but it's pretty difficult with laws in place as they are. It'll be a difficult transition, but I have hope we get through this together. Technology should be embraced and used for the public good. I just hope there isn't enough short sighted people who backlash against the advancements instead of innovating the social sphere.

What is the point of innovation if it creates poverty?

Joblessness = poverty. And with a burgeoning world population, we need more jobs for people, not less of them.....

People need to work for money and to keep them occupied. And please don't suggest the services sector or IT. We can't sustain an economy full of insurance salesmen and computer programmers.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

You're just so incredibly far behind and not close to understanding. I can't bridge the gap, but please try to think this through for a long while and then get back to me.
edit on 25-5-2016 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: makemap
www.digitaltrends.com...

Another article.

Edit: Well if it is cheaper to build, they better make their computers cheaper or else, it won't be good for the economy.

But you and I both know they won't make it cheaper. They're simply going to pocket the difference.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

There is nothing to think about.

Robots take away human jobs. The OP article is about 60,000, 60,000 job losses.

If we estimate that approx one in three people work taking into account children, stay at home parents and the retired, we are talking the population of a small city out of work.

You cannot possibly claim that this is innovation and progress. It's capitalism at its worst looking for ways to make things at a lower cost and damn the human toll in the name of profit.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 10:09 PM
link   
So are these the slave labor jobs everybody thought were so bad?

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 10:10 PM
link   
will the robots try to commit suicide as well?
only time will tell

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 10:39 PM
link   
If you can be replaced by a robot you deserve to lose your job.

Robots SHOULD be doing these types of jobs.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 10:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vdogg

originally posted by: makemap
www.digitaltrends.com...

Another article.

But you and I both know they won't make it cheaper. They're simply going to pocket the difference.

Uh Oh. I knew something like this would eventually happen.

No they won't pocket the difference. No. Just release a cheaper version of the same thing to undercut your competition. Slightly higher profit margins(which is very low),same specifications,same product.
Later on use this in your fabrication/supply chain/manufacturing process to drive down the cost of your AAA flagship expensive product.

All the competitors that don't have advanced robotic automation will get left behind.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

mashable.com...

given enough time, they will redefine the job description of doctors even...

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: markosity1973
a reply to: pl3bscheese

There is nothing to think about.

Robots take away human jobs. The OP article is about 60,000, 60,000 job losses.

If we estimate that approx one in three people work taking into account children, stay at home parents and the retired, we are talking the population of a small city out of work.

You cannot possibly claim that this is innovation and progress. It's capitalism at its worst looking for ways to make things at a lower cost and damn the human toll in the name of profit.

Why do you expect economics to be moral?

Government is amoral.

Economics is amoral.

Nature is amoral.

Society is for the most part moral.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Vdogg

We need to start working on a basic income and we needed to start working on it yesterday.

I've been hearing about this (basic income) for years and just recently I've seen at least one thread about this on this site. While, in my own mind, I've been contemplating the pros-vs-cons of it, I would suggest that if this is something you are a proponent of, you should not try to convince people by way of threat. I would recommend you try to convince people by explaining the merits of your proposal. Although automation will ultimately affect the vast, VAST majority of us, it will affect different sectors in different ways and more importantly, on very different time scales (when years become decades, many people will have retired prior to the robots taking their jobs). Some people's jobs, for the immediate future, are relatively secure and making vague threats won't help your cause. (Just my opinion).

edit on 25-5-2016 by eluryh22 because: clarification

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 11:03 PM
link   

I enjoy reading your comments in the threads and very much agree with you a lot of the time, but I must say I couldn't disagree with you more on this point.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 11:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: MiddleInitial

I enjoy reading your comments in the threads and very much agree with you a lot of the time, but I must say I couldn't disagree with you more on this point.

I'll openly admit that Metallicus' post was difficult to digest... but is he wrong?

I think about my own position. My job/career is a mix of technical knowledge, the ability to bring different (often opposing) parties to the table to come to an agreement, negotiating costs and schedules all while dealing with local communities. I KNOW that AI is coming for my job at some point. Based on my employer, the type of work I do and some other factors, I know that it is not too likely that the robots will come prior to me retiring in about twenty-five years.

That being said, if by waving a magic wand a robot appeared that could do what I do, as or more efficiently and with possibly better results, how could I possibly blame my employer for replacing me with Robo-Me? I assure you, I would hate it and likely feel resentful... but logically, what would my complaint be?

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

What is the point of innovation if it creates poverty?

On a sentimental level I agree with you.

However, innovation has brought us out of the dark ages. Innovation has created the interwebz that we all use. Innovation has created cell phones so we are always connected (for better... or worse).
Innovation has developed ways to screen for diseases.

Again, how people USE innovation can be up for debate.... but anyone and everyone should realize and fully understand that it is up to us as individuals to do our best to keep up with it (on a personal and professional level).

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 11:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: MiddleInitial

I am not sure what you don't agree with...help me out.

If a robot can do the same work as a human for less cost then what logical reason is there to keep the human? There will always be things for humans to do, but if you can't find a way to make yourself more valuable than a circuit board I don't know what you would expect.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 11:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Vdogg

I'm not convinced that a basic income scheme is the solution or in fact that there are any silver bullets to be supported but we can't even have the conversation as a society a long as people can't come to grips with the reality of the situation that we're in.

The current employment paradigm is not sustainable and things will continue to get worse. It shouldn't be a surprise that the need for human labor is diminishing with technological progress. Robots aren't the beginning, they're the end. Hell, we all learned about the IR in elementary school, we learned about interchangeable parts and the advent of the assembly line, we heard the tale of John Henry who died after besting the steam powered hammer (in the 1870s folks).

To say the writing has been on the wall is understatement.

The Economist - The onrushing wave

IN 1930, when the world was “suffering…from a bad attack of economic pessimism”, John Maynard Keynes wrote a broadly optimistic essay, “Economic Possibilities for our Grandchildren”. It imagined a middle way between revolution and stagnation that would leave the said grandchildren a great deal richer than their grandparents. But the path was not without dangers. One of the worries Keynes admitted was a “new disease”: “technological unemployment…due to our discovery of means of economising the use of labour outrunning the pace at which we can find new uses for labour.” His readers might not have heard of the problem, he suggested—but they were certain to hear a lot more about it in the years to come.

Yet there are a lot of people, including some very smart people, who can't let go of the asburd notion that there's somehow a solution to be found — for the very predictable results of technological progress — in deregulating markets.

I say that capitalism is working perfectly. Free market competition encourages not only finding cheaper labor but constantly reducing the amount of labor needed.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 11:38 PM
link   

If a robot can do the same work as a human for less cost then what logical reason is there to keep the human?

For some reason, this thread is making me think of the fast food workers demanding an ever increasing minimum wage.

Excluding those High School kids that work at McDonalds as a part time job to earn some cash of their own.... What are these people thinking? Personally, everybody screws up my orders all the time and I would gladly welcome an ATM style kiosk to place my order and a deranged version of Wall-E to prepare my food.

Admittedly I'm rambling but I believe that those fast food workers would better serve themselves by taking all the "protesting" energy and reallocating it towards seeking education or training or simply finding different jobs that have a future. Just my opinion.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join