It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Transgender woman wins landmark discrimination case forcing ferry firm to remove the words 'ladies

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Give them their own bathrooms but use these.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Specimen

originally posted by: snowspirit
a reply to: Specimen

en.m.wikipedia.org...

It was adopted as such in pre-World War I-Europe and later, and most notably, by the Nazi Party and Nazi Germany prior to World War II. In many Western countries, the swastika has been highly stigmatized because of its use in and association with Nazism.[5]

It continues to be commonly used as a religious symbol in Hinduism and Buddhism.[3]

A symbol that started out as one meaning and was turned into a different meaning for others.
A symbol whose descriptive words would mean different things for Hindus and Buddhists than Jewish people ....

Yes, but what do you think about when Swastikas come up? What about the Bat Signal?

I know what I think of when I say a picture that denotes females on a door.

"Ladies' room."

I know what I think of when I see "ladies" on a door.

"Ladies' room."

What I don't think of is "persons who may have been born with lady parts or persons who may identify as a woman but still have boy parts or persons who were born with boy parts but identify as a girl and now have girl parts."

Because frankly I don't give a good GD.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit
I'm not getting how symbols are going to be different than words.
Cherries and bananas are symbols, yet we get the meaning. The regular symbols are a person in pants and a person wearing a skirt. I'm a woman who wears jeans, should I not use the room with the symbol of a dress?
I know women that aren't ladylike, and men that aren't gentlemen.
The symbols mean just as much as the words.

I also realize that if I ever get flack for using the ladies room because someone doesn't think I look ladylike enough, someone is going to be hearing a very unladylike reaction.....

Telling that person to be using the disabled bathroom is absolutely ridiculous too.

I always thought the consistent fog of mental confusion was a disability, but ok? I have an idea, have four bathrooms. Men, Women, Handicapped and IT (indeterminate transgender). It's a good acronym, right?

Cheers - Dave

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Soon all toilet doors will bear this symbol

Or

There will be a multitude of toilet doors each with its own symbol and all the special snowflakes forever more live happily ever after.

edit on 25-5-2016 by Tindalos2013 because: The Magnificent Typo

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Tindalos2013

Soon we will be compelled to not give our children names as to not disadvantage their gender choice they will make at the ripe young age of six.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Only one gender can be Bi?!!? Discrimination!

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

I guarantee some morons are going to do this within the next 3 years.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Morrad

So 'Ladies" and "Gentlemen" are hate speech?

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 09:28 PM
link   
While we're on the topic of "much ado about nothing ..."

From the OP's article:

Condor Ferries said it had worked with Ms Bisson to draw up a list of measures 'to remove the possibility of inadvertent discrimination.' A spokesman said: 'Following lodging of a complaint about transgender discrimination, we worked with the person concerned to draw up a list of measures that Condor ferries could take to remove the possibility of inadvertent discrimination.

So the Ferry company decided, presumably as a routine matter of business after the issue was brought to their attention, to work with the customer making the complaint and resolve it to the satisfaction of the tribunal concerned.

The company didn't have an issue changing their policies to respect all of their customers ... why do you guys?

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 09:29 PM
link   
What's a transgender woman?

Former guy or some sort of transformer?

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   
The craziest part is anyone could win a law suit like this.....Ladies and Gentleman this is extortion not discrimination !
Any reasonable person, including the LGBT community knows this is nonsense.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: MountainLaurel
The craziest part is anyone could win a law suit like this.....Ladies and Gentleman this is extortion not discrimination !

So ... you're not in favor of a company serving the public cooperatively changing their policies to better serve their customers?

That seems counter-productive to good business, frankly.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 09:34 PM
link   
They can't have Mr. or Mrs.!

Go ahead and try it, I dare ya!

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
a reply to: Annee

I get that part, but why are they being forced to remove the word ladies and go with a chick in a skirt, it means the same thing.

That really didn't make sense to me either.

Must have something to do with how their law reads.

Not biologically female, but appears as female gender I guess.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 09:48 PM
link   

It seems very odd, regardless of which side of the stall you stand on with bathroom issues. I mean 98% of people are not transgender or other, so doesn't appropriate signage make sense?

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality

Soon we will be compelled to not give our children names as to not disadvantage their gender choice they will make at the ripe young age of six.

You mean names that would be both male and female. Such as Casey.

I already have a list for you right now.
en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 25-5-2016 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: MountainLaurel

So ... you're not in favor of a company serving the public cooperatively changing their policies to better serve their customers?

That seems counter-productive to good business, frankly.

No, honestly in this case I'm not....I think the complaint is petty and frankly it doesn't sit well with me. The company was forced into a meeting with this person under duress to discuss the names on the bathrooms !? How about those of us who like feminine and masculine nouns on our bathrooms ! As we discussed in another thread I don't feel threatened by trans folks in the bathrooms of their chosen sex, in most cases no one knows anyways...but enough is enough !

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: nullafides

I would have loved to see our face had you been told to use the disabled bathroom.
Nothing would have left your lips.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 10:00 PM
link   

I knew red lipstick frog couldn't read.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
While we're on the topic of "much ado about nothing ..."

From the OP's article:

Condor Ferries said it had worked with Ms Bisson to draw up a list of measures 'to remove the possibility of inadvertent discrimination.' A spokesman said: 'Following lodging of a complaint about transgender discrimination, we worked with the person concerned to draw up a list of measures that Condor ferries could take to remove the possibility of inadvertent discrimination.

So the Ferry company decided, presumably as a routine matter of business after the issue was brought to their attention, to work with the customer making the complaint and resolve it to the satisfaction of the tribunal concerned.

The company didn't have an issue changing their policies to respect all of their customers ... why do you guys?

Perhaps because some people don't understand how a person identifying as a woman is offended by a door with "women" on it. I don't presume to speak for others, but I can't comprehend, being a person who identifies as a male, being offended by a door with "men" on it. Or being referred to as "man."

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join