It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Transgender woman wins landmark discrimination case forcing ferry firm to remove the words 'ladies

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Watcher777

originally posted by: Annee
I understand Women supporting Women, but if that's the case - - - why would I not support this woman who felt uncomfortable with the words Ladies - - - and more comfortable with a symbol representing Women?

That is the whole point here, ONE woman is making the decision for ALL women what wording or non-wording should be on a bathroom door.

And you are ok with that? What if the figure is all white, shouldn't it be rainbow colored to represent women of all colors? I may want my woman brown because white doesn't represent me.

Is anyone objecting?

It means something to her, I have no objections. I guess if another woman has an objection she should speak up.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by:]Annee

I guess if another woman has an objection she should speak up.

We just had fifteen pages of just that.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by:]Annee

I guess if another woman has an objection she should speak up.

We just had fifteen pages of just that.

I meant file a petition in court to object against the decision.

Has anyone done that?

Not just discussing it.

edit on 27-5-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: MountainLaurel

I agree. It gets back to just real common sense in these issues. We battle each other over the wrong things.

I will never experience what someone who is transgender experiences as they will not know what it is like to be born in a body that they gender identify with, but we both will have similar experiences living as females. That is our shared experience.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Morrad

So a man who identifies as a woman does not want him/herself or anyone else for that matter to be identified as woman when going to the woman's rest room?

Aren't transgendered usually offended if you refuse to refer to a man who identifies as a woman ,a woman. And a woman who identifies as a man , a man?
So Bathroom doors should not refer to them as the gender they identify as but they want to be identified as trans genders then? Or no genders?

Apparently this one thinks along those lines but im willing to bet the next one will be in line in no time taking offense to that and sue this company again just for that. SWJ's are unappeasable, it seems to be the way they want things they need conflict and if it is not there, make it up and create it.

edit on America/ChicagovAmerica/ChicagoFri, 27 May 2016 19:00:26 -05001620165America/Chicago by everyone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I hesitate to inflict reality here ... but the OP's news story regarded a Trans* woman who was told that the appropriate facility for her use was the Disabled Bathroom.

The ferry company, particularly in light of the new national laws passed by the States of Jersey late last year, realized that their staff had made a pretty severe mistake.

The ferry company, in consultation with the complainant, and approved by the legal tribunal, decided to change their signage both as a legal compromise and TO REFLECT A CHANGE IN THEIR POLICIES IN ADHERENCE TO THE LAW.

Are you folks saying that the ferry company didn't have that right? That they shouldn't have cooperated with the woman they basically assaulted (under the new laws)? Did anyone look at the way the laws changed in Jersey?

If none of these facts matter ... are some of you just venting your feelings?

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Soon we can all look forward to unlabeled toilets.

Then when you enter and hear a scream, you better have you lawyer on speed dial because you'll be identified as a pervert.

The future will be very confusing.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: everyone

I think you mean SJW's.

The ferry decided to change the signs from the kind of antique "LADIES" and "GENTS" as I understand it.

You've a problem with the symbols they've chosen? They're the standard international symbols for indicating gendered facilities.

Why?

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

It does not matter. The solution this person pressed for is completely separate from the problem in which this person perused legal action.

Now not wanting to go to a bathroom labeled "Disabled people" that i get.

But then demanding to change the signs on regular bathrooms and changing them even from the very specific gender this person identified as simply makes no sense. The much more reasonable option would have been to demand the re-labeling of the third available bathroom.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   

When did I politically bring a kid into this?

The post you mentioned the 5th grader has been edited...
I was gonna call you out on that originally but decided not to engage.
Now after you playing your little backtrack game I feel necessary to call you out on your shenanigans.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

I think you mean SJW's.

Yes you know what. I will here by invoke my right to SJW as well:

I direct you to my signature in which i plainly and clearly state that i suffer from dyslexia. There fore i find your comment quite condescending and offensive. Much like people who stutter and do not enjoy being corrected and helped out with their disability because they find it offensive for that very same reason i would ask of you to offer me a apology for you offensive and condescending behavior towards me regardless of any potential claim that you did not intend it like that, it still was in fact very offensive to my person.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   

I hesitate to inflict reality here ... but the OP's news story regarded a Trans* woman who was told that the appropriate facility for her use was the Disabled Bathroom.

Oh, please inflict

It mattered to her. She did something about it. The company, which admitted insensitivity, worked with her to make her comfortable. And be in compliance.

I really don't understand why this is being blown into a big deal.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   

I think you mean SJW's.

The ferry decided to change the signs from the kind of antique "LADIES" and "GENTS" as I understand it.

You've a problem with the symbols they've chosen? They're the standard international symbols for indicating gendered facilities.

Why?

I like to know how that is any solution to the original problem. Whether you or anyone else find the naming of those rest rooms old school or not they still specify the 2 genders much like the new labeling and one of those genders still represented the gender this person identified as.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 07:24 PM
link   
So is this the true story we have all been fusing about. Maybe the story was incorrect from the beginning.

Again was that the OP's original story writer's agenda?

TransJersey

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAY1980

When did I politically bring a kid into this?

The post you mentioned the 5th grader has been edited...
I was gonna call you out on that originally but decided not to engage.
Now after you playing your little backtrack game I feel necessary to call you out on your shenanigans.

She and her parents fought for her Equal Rights in court and went public. I have no idea what their politics are.

Transgender Teen Awarded $75,000 in School Restroom Lawsuit

time.com...

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Why did she need money for it?

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: everyone

I think you mean SJW's.

Yes you know what. I will here by invoke my right to SJW as well:

I direct you to my signature in which i plainly and clearly state that i suffer from dyslexia. There fore i find your comment quite condescending and offensive. Much like people who stutter and do not enjoy being corrected and helped out with their disability because they find it offensive for that very same reason i would ask of you to offer me a apology for you offensive and condescending behavior towards me regardless of any potential claim that you did not intend it like that, it still was in fact very offensive to my person.

Fair enough. I just didn't see your disclaimer in your signature. You have my sincerest apology.

I personally make mistakes all the time. Reversing letters. Misspelling common words. You're not alone.

Honestly, I'd think that would make you a bit more sensitive to the differences of other people, but that's just me.

Again, sorry I didn't notice your signature, and sorry I caused you pain by correcting the order of your letters.

(If you don't mind, I'll combine responses ...)

I took a different understanding away from the article than you did, apparently. No, in fact, the change in policy for the signs was a direct effect of the ferry company trying to properly redress the woman's very valid grievance.

She didn't demand the change. I submit that there was a wider meaning to the change in signs than you're detecting. It seems to me that this ferry company wanted to make a bit of a statement about compliance with these new laws in Jersey.

Relabel the third bathroom ... the one designed for folks with disabilities? How do you think it should be relabeled?

edit on 27-5-2016 by Gryphon66 because: noted

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: everyone

I think you mean SJW's.

Why?

I like to know how that is any solution to the original problem. Whether you or anyone else find the naming of those rest rooms old school or not they still specify the 2 genders much like the new labeling and one of those genders still represented the gender this person identified as.

Perhaps you should write a letter to the ferry company?

It was their decision to change the signs.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   

So is this the true story we have all been fusing about. Maybe the story was incorrect from the beginning.

Again was that the OP's original story writer's agenda?

TransJersey

How do you figure this is the "true story"?

It's two stories about the same person.

#waaaaat?

EDIT: Were you trying to link this story? Tribunal ruling: Condor v Bisson

This was a recommendation from a group that supports alternate gender identities ... and I think gave some decent advice.

So, bearing this last point in mind, do we need to replace the signs “ladies and gents” on toilet doors with stick figures? No. You are not going to be taken to the tribunal for discrimination if your toilet signs still use words. However, you could be taken to tribunal if you or your employees do not treat a trans woman the same as you treat a woman. Most transgender people do not want special treatment, they want equal treatment that affords them the same rights and privileges as non-trans people of the same gender as their recognised gender.

Emphasis mine, which to me, says it all.
edit on 27-5-2016 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

originally posted by: samerulesapply

originally posted by: TzarChasm
if i may...

how does it "feel" to be a female versus a male? do males experience an existential quality that is different from that of females? how do you know you feel more like a penis than a vagina? who i am is not defined by my genitalia, so its somewhat confusing to see people coddling their gender identities like spoiled pets. as though implying you enjoy or respect anything other than what they are is a profound insult to their validity as a person. it gets to a point where i feel that it almost mocks people who are or have historically been objectified according to their gender, ethnicity, etc. "oooh, they get attention for being a victim? i wanna be a victim!" enter transgender controversy.

grandstanding is a pretty effective distraction tactic for a country with the attention span of a youtube video.

I asked this a few times, never got an answer.

but I'd assume it's similar to thinking you're a cat. You just know, insiiiide!

and thats why i call bull crap.

Just curious, do your really want honest, informed, educated answers?

It is my hope that every post endeavors to provide such. Including my own.

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join