It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Transgender woman wins landmark discrimination case forcing ferry firm to remove the words 'ladies

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: MysticPearl

originally posted by: Watcher777
a reply to: MysticPearl

He is exactly the type of person the transgender community should be promoting. Here is a young person who understands what issues, right or wrong, he will have to face and overcome. His approach is going to earn him the respect he deserves from both sides of the fence.

He/she actually thinks this transgender movement largely pushed by adults is using true transgender teens/kids as pawns and they're pushing this as far as they are to fill up shortcomings in their own lives, as if they're bored/unsatisfied and looking for a void to fill.

As she said, few cared and things were fine until the SJW's decided to push it to the forefront and blow the whole thing out of proportion.

Is it convenient at all that your young friend seems to think EXACTLY like you do?

Or coincidence?

She hates Trump.

Amusing watching you two attempt to wrap your heads around this, as if she must lean to the right to have some common sense on the issue.

Quite narcissistic to believe every liberal is going to take up your cause.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

a reply to: Gryphon66

She'd undoubtably teach you a fair amount about this issue and life in general, yet I'm not sure she'd be willing to help you.

From what I understand, she looks down on the white knight SJW types. As I said, she's a mature, big picture type.

Using a 16 year old f/m transgender to support your politics?

I wonder what you'd have to say if she thought differently.

It supports reality.

What's funny in your emotional musings, is you yourself used anecdotal evidence from your friend to support your point of view. What's also funny is you've said five year olds are well aware of this issue, yet now want to dismiss a 16 yr old.

Not my fault she's got a better grasp on this than a 70 year old. Must feel embarrassing. Sorry.

When did I politically bring a kid into this?

"Pass the Trash" much?

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Let me guess. Her parents are Republican.

Most teens, until they get older, tend to reflect their parents beliefs.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   

He is exactly the type of person the transgender community should be promoting. Here is a young person who understands what issues, right or wrong, he will have to face and overcome. His approach is going to earn him the respect he deserves from both sides of the fence.

He/she actually thinks this transgender movement largely pushed by adults is using true transgender teens/kids as pawns and they're pushing this as far as they are to fill up shortcomings in their own lives, as if they're bored/unsatisfied and looking for a void to fill.

As she said, few cared and things were fine until the SJW's decided to push it to the forefront and blow the whole thing out of proportion.

Is it convenient at all that your young friend seems to think EXACTLY like you do?

Or coincidence?

She hates Trump.

Amusing watching you two attempt to wrap your heads around this, as if she must lean to the right to have some common sense on the issue.

Quite narcissistic to believe every liberal is going to take up your cause.

LOL, I'm not trying to "wrap" my head around anything. I'll be blunt: I don't believe you.

To be even more blunt, since you've implied a question here, your idea of "common sense" is repulsive. You're glad to help deny the rights of Trans* Americans of all genders (and apparently, Trans* folks across the world, like the lady in Jersey), and have no issue with endangering them as long as your archaic sensibilities aren't threatened. You use the same terminology of hate that has been used for decades.

And, you refuse to actually discuss the topics of the thread ... instead you want to make little snide comments about other members. Your posts just slipped beneath my notice, frankly.
edit on 27-5-2016 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Or coincidence?

She hates Trump.

I don't think that really proves anything.

His own party only accepts him because they have to.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   

You used a 16 year old trans kid to push your politics.

That's just a fact.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Not to mention, Mr. Trump has come out in favor of protecting the legal rights of Trans* folks.

/shrug

Back on topic.

If anyone is interested in the legislation passed in Jersey (UK) in 2015 which forms the basis of the actual topic here, here's a decent informative link: Jersey passes law protecting LGBT and intersex people from discrimination

The new regulations – which were passed without opposition – are set to come into force on 1 September 2015, and give vital protections to LGBT people, alongside other protested groups. 37 members voted in favour of the third reading of the legislation, with 1 abstention and 11 absences. The law states: “Acts of discrimination on grounds of sex, sexual orientation, gender reassignment and pregnancy and maternity will be prohibited in the same wide range of areas in which race discrimination is currently prohibited. The legislation allows islanders who experience discrimination on the grounds of their sexual orientation to bring a case before the Jersey Employment and Discrimination Tribunal.

You know, for anyone who enjoys facts over fiction ...

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Not to mention, Mr. Trump has come out in favor of protecting the legal rights of Trans* folks.

/shrug

Back on topic.

If anyone is interested in the legislation passed in Jersey (UK) in 2015 which forms the basis of the actual topic here, here's a decent informative:

Thanks.

I tend to forget which trans thread I'm in.

Back on topic.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   

That's just a fact.

You're too emotional and don't understand the word "fact", as we've seen before.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   

That's just a fact.

You're too emotional and don't understand the word "fact", as we've seen before.

That is not an emotional response.

It is tiring, annoying, and ridiculous - - being told a straight out statement is emotional. (this is an emotional statement)
edit on 27-5-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   

She should have the right to use the bathroom she identifies with, but the other topic of the article was the removal of the word "ladies" off the bathroom door.

Who's right did that benefit?

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   

She should have the right to use the bathroom she identifies with, but the other topic of the article was the removal of the word "ladies" off the bathroom door.

Who's right did that benefit?

Take that one up with the Ferry company ... that was their idea, not mine.

I suppose they wanted to be on the cusp of active compliance with the new laws in Jersey.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   

From the original story, she pushed for the change, not the ferry company. So again who's rights were benefited?

She argued the use of words rather than symbols on toilets amounted to indirect discrimination.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 05:27 PM
link   

From the original story, she pushed for the change, not the ferry company. So again who's rights were benefited?

She argued the use of words rather than symbols on toilets amounted to indirect discrimination.

Well, I can see that. It makes sense to me.

A symbol of female gender shape is more encompassing then specifying Ladies or Women.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   

In her mind, in the judgement of the ferry company, and apparently, the agreement of the members of the jurisdictional tribunal ... everyone's.

Do you have a different opinion?
edit on 27-5-2016 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   

A symbol of female gender shape is more encompassing then specifying Ladies or Women.

I disagree, if we are all Ladies or Women, transgender or non-transgender that is how we should be addressed. Not as a sexist stick figure.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 06:01 PM
link   

I disagree, if we are all Ladies or Women, transgender or non-transgender that is how we should be addressed. Not as a sexist stick figure.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand your thinking. I've read it several times and still don't understand it.

I understand Women supporting Women, but if that's the case - - - why would I not support this woman who felt uncomfortable with the words Ladies - - - and more comfortable with a symbol representing Women?

I'm not sure, but "ladies" might have a significance in UK/Europe - - as in "ladies of the court" or something that she found negative.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Very well said.....

It occurs to me that this is just another example of a "positive" turned into a "negative" ...some other examples would be things like the Feminist movement, the Environmental movement and countless other worthwhile causes seem to get high-jacked either by insane individuals or what some might say more "sinister" agendas.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Well, this certainly turned into the Annee Gryphon show.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   

I understand Women supporting Women, but if that's the case - - - why would I not support this woman who felt uncomfortable with the words Ladies - - - and more comfortable with a symbol representing Women?

That is the whole point here, ONE woman is making the decision for ALL women what wording or non-wording should be on a bathroom door.

And you are ok with that? What if the figure is all white, shouldn't it be rainbow colored to represent women of all colors? I may want my woman brown because white doesn't represent me.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join