It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Transgender woman wins landmark discrimination case forcing ferry firm to remove the words 'ladies

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: Pyrrho
I'm not sure I understand. She switched her gender because she identifies as the opposite gender, then gets mad when there are gender labels? Didn't she already label herself as a "woman/lady" even though she is offended by those same words?

So what would stop her from being offended by the symbol next time?

That wasn't the source of the complaint, nor the resolution:

(From the OPs article)

It was the first decision of its kind taken since Jersey introduced gender discrimination laws in 2015 and Ms Bisson has now urged other companies to follow Condor's lead.

So, this complaint is registered under the laws enacted by the people of Jersey, not under someone's personal preferences (as so many are trying desperately to reduce this to).

and

Ms Bisson, 40, a taxi driver from Jersey, said she was humiliated after being told by a staff member over the phone last September that she must use disabled facilities.

She was told that she, as a Trans* person, would hvae to use the Disabled facilities, a direction that the Ferry company admitted was against the law.

Next?

I understand that part. Clearly discrimination. However, how does changing the words on the door effect anything positively?
edit on 5/27/2016 by Pyrrho because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

I'm not sure why you feel justified in posting such obvious lies and errors, but you are.

It's not about what "I want" anymore than your diatribe is about what "you want" ... or if it is, both of us should pipe down.

I do consider the majority (who dont' agree with your positions, by the way) but the majority, at least in this country, cannot legislate away the rights of the minority. All Americans are treated equally before our laws. Capiche?

You know what they say about "assuming" har har har. Assume what you wish as you have and do; that's your right.

You don't know what I've considered or not considered. There is no effect on the 99.7% of anyone else, the majority of which haven't known (OR CARED) about the specific genital status of the person in the next stall. This effort is nothing more than an attempt on the part of sore-headed authoritarians who are losing in the Culture Wars and are willing to do anything, no matter how trivial or ridiculous, for a little payback.

I invite you to stop your pretensions at "discussion" if you're not enjoying it ... at any point.

The only issue being forced here is an attempt to deprive Americans of Constitutional rights.

It will fail in due course as all have failed.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Even simpler...you are saying to those individuals in the world that don't want to share a sex segregate restroom with the opposite sex..."Tough crap! I think you should and I'm willing to force you". Regardless of the topic, that mentality will always lose in my mind.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   

I'm not sure I understand. She switched her gender because she identifies as the opposite gender, then gets mad when there are gender labels? Didn't she already label herself as a "woman/lady" even though she is offended by those same words?

(From the OPs article)

It was the first decision of its kind taken since Jersey introduced gender discrimination laws in 2015 and Ms Bisson has now urged other companies to follow Condor's lead.

So, this complaint is registered under the laws enacted by the people of Jersey, not under someone's personal preferences (as so many are trying desperately to reduce this to).

and

Ms Bisson, 40, a taxi driver from Jersey, said she was humiliated after being told by a staff member over the phone last September that she must use disabled facilities.

She was told that she, as a Trans* person, would hvae to use the Disabled facilities, a direction that the Ferry company admitted was against the law.

Next?

I understand that part. Clearly discrimination. However, how does changing the words on the door effect anything positively?

Apparently, changing the names on the doors was the joint decision of the Ferry Company and the Complainant under the new equality laws in Jersey.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE
a reply to: Annee

Since you are often reasonable I'll simplify this. While me and the majority think things are just fine as they are and no formal changes are required, you are saying that formal changes are required. I disagree. If a trans-gendered person uses the same restroom as me...it really doesn't matter to me. To some it does. Those people have had this separation by sex for their entire lives. There is no need for this to change.

That is my position on the matter. The fact that trans people have used the "wrong" bathroom never needed to become a political or social problem. That was done by politics and/or extremists. Its a shame, but now pushed to answer the question...I vote to leave everything as it is.

I don't think you can claim majority.

Fair Housing - - had to be forced.

The Disability Act - - had to be forced.

Women's Equality - - had to be forced.

Civil Rights - - had to be forced.

Marriage Equality - - had to be forced.

I lived before all of those. I know what it was like before and after. It sucked!

---------------------------------------------------------------

The Transgender bathroom issue is because the RIGHT made it an issue.

It could have been just left alone and no one would have had an issue.

Now it has to be forced.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Morrad

The world worked perfectly in this department for thousends of years.. It is as if bureaucrats have nothing else to do and decided to create something to fuzz about.

not good..

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   
The only authoritarians here are the ones who want genital checks for people using public facilities.

Trans* folks using the facilities of their choice with no harassment has been the status quo for decades.

It is the fascists (like the Repubicans in NC) who are trying to change the way things are, or, the way that local autonomy (like in the city of Charlotte) and the will of the People requires.

It's pretty obvious who the real tyrants here are.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   

(From the OPs article)

and

Next?

This was a purposeful, malicious and petty action designed to get this woman 15 minutes of fame and some Social Justice Brownie points. Transgender individuals are already allowed to use whatever bathroom facility they want in the UK, which makes her phone call redundant, if this person is truly Transgender, and hasn't called virtually ever public business she goes to asking which bathroom to use, she should know that she can use any bathroom she chooses. We also don't know if she asked a person that was qualified to answer the question. She made a deliberate attempt to get the company to trip up and it worked. In the same way that someone who, in a store, purposefully walks over an area an employee is mopping, trips, sprains an ankle, and then sues the store for her injuries with the BS excuse "there was no warning cone". I don't know if this woman got any money for her lawsuit, but I think it's pretty obvious this is a case just like that.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: zatara

The world worked perfectly in this department for thousends of years.. It is as if bureaucrats have nothing else to do and decided to create something to fuzz about.

not good..

The bureaucrats did not create this.

Parents found out a trans kid was in school with their kid.

They care so much about children, they publicly outed the trans kid, and descended on the school board to separate her from their kids.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Trans* folks using the facilities of their choice with no harassment has been the status quo for decades.

Then why did she make the phone call in the first place? As I said in my previous post - this was a deliberate attempt to get the Ferry Company to trip up and it worked - all for 15 minutes of fame and some social justice brownie points. The call was not necessary. She preemptively made herself a victim (sounds about right for SJW's). $20 she used the female bathroom without saying anything, there wouldn't have been an issue. She must not have been seeing enough Trans victimization on the news recently and decided SOMETHING needed to be done to maintain the victim status.
edit on 27-5-2016 by chuck258 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: chuck258

Then why did she make the phone call in the first place?

Why not?

She created awareness. That's pretty much all she did.

And an agreed upon minor adjustment was made.

She should just stay in the closet and suffer what she considers indignities? No, she shouldn't.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   

50 years ago we had insane asylums to deal with mental illness. This is a mental illness. Now we praise and bow down to the extreme minority without applying common sense. Whatever happened to the word... "NO"?

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   
So what is a transgender woman? A woman with an added male body part, or a man with a mutilated penis?

Actual question

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: solongandgoodnight
So what is a transgender woman? A woman with an added male body part, or a man with a mutilated penis?

Actual question

The brain tells you who you are. The brain tells you what gender you are (male/female)

Sometimes the brain gender and physical packaging don't match. They are in opposition.

It is not a mental illness.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: staticfl

50 years ago we had insane asylums to deal with mental illness. This is a mental illness. Now we praise and bow down to the extreme minority without applying common sense. Whatever happened to the word... "NO"?

Transgender is not a mental illness.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE
Even simpler...you are saying to those individuals in the world that don't want to share a sex segregate restroom with the opposite sex..."Tough crap! I think you should and I'm willing to force you". Regardless of the topic, that mentality will always lose in my mind.

Exactly,

We tend to make the issue either black or white, yet the grey are is the most ignored.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Why not?

She should just stay in the closet and suffer what she considers indignities? No, she shouldn't.

Since it was already legal for her to use the ladies room in England how exactly did she create awareness ? So far no one who is defending this nonsense has explained to me what indignities this woman "suffered" , other then possibly talking to an employee of the Ferry company, who she called btw, that didn't answer her "baited" question to her satisfaction ? I also don't believe this company "agreed" as much as they were forced to make these wasteful adjustments or risk seeming insensitive to the trans folks.

I really am glad I have had the chance to meet some very cool trans folks that are also reasonable people, because if the "Kaitlin Jenners" and wacko's like this woman making this complaint were my only frame of reference...I would be less empathetic then I am.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Why not?

It's not about the adjustment, yes it's a minor one. But it's #ing petty and un-necessary. This company was extremely lucky that it's not millions in the hole for a settlement.
It's the fact that the media picked this up and ran with it to shout "See!!! Trans people are still being victimized, Social Justice! Down with the heteropatriarchy!" - when no crime was committed. I would think that the 99% chance that had she used the "Ladies" room without calling anyone that it would have unfolded WITHOUT incident would be a good thing - that people are more accepting, or at least more tolerant. But if that was the case, it would make Transgenders one step further from being perpetual victims. SJW's cant have that can they? They'd be out of a job!

The point I'm trying to make is that her calling the ferry company to ask which bathroom she should use was completely not necessary, and I'd be willing to bet, if it was capable of being proven, that she did this for malicious reasons. I mean, you said it yourself, this was a minor adjustment, no? If it was truly minor, it shouldn't have been a big deal either way. This leaves only a few options, a primary one being the point I'm trying to prove: That this was a manufactured issue, in the way I described with the hypothetical professional lawsuit chaser in the grocery store, and that it was done for potential monetary gain, more victimization brownie points, or both. (Because as Transgender people are more recognized, accepted and tolerated, they are victimized less and they become less relevant (in a good way) - and professional SJW's can't have that, now can they?)

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: staticfl

Transgender is not a mental illness.

A LOT of Psychologists disagree with you my friend.

That being said, mental illness is not necessarily a bad thing. It just . . . . is. It exists. Also, if you don't count an affliction that affects less than half of one percent of normal individuals (individuals whose mind matches their genitals) - you can't call anthing including bipolarism (which is at least 5X MORE COMMON than Gender Dysphoria), Eating disorder (at LEAST twice as common) - etc. If you don't classify Gender Dysphoria as a mental illness, you can't classify other things as a mental illness either. Plain and simple, (and I know not all Trans folk transition) - if you have a desire to do major surgery to your genitals because "it doesn't feel right" - there are some wires crossed upstairs.

Again, this is not to say Trans folks cannot function, they just need treatment. In the same way someone binge eats, or someone else can go from happy go lucky to wanna kill the world in the span of 2 minutes.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

I don't think the world will go on much longer.

I had to wear dresses too, up to the age of 10, or slacks. Jeans were not allowed.

Yes that was a stupid rule. But even in England boys had to wear Shorts, and couldn't wear Slacks until they were old enough at around age 12.

That must've been cold too.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join