It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Teen Web Editor Drives Apple Computer to Court Action

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Computer maker Apple Computer is suing the webmaster of ThinkSecret for releasing proprietary information on the Internet. Founded in 1998, the website has a huge following among Apple users and Nicholas M. Ciarelli, seems to have the ability to get inside the innovative computer maker and find out what is going on. For instance he predicted the debut of the G4 version PowerBook, and most recently the release of a sub $500 dollar computer just announced.

story.news.yahoo.com
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. -- Nicholas M. Ciarelli was not even old enough to shave when he started getting under Apple Computer Inc.'s skin.

As a 13-year-old middle-schooler, the New Woodstock, N.Y., native built a Web site in 1998 and began publishing insider news and rumors about Apple, using the alias Nick dePlume.

Three years later, ThinkSecret.com was first to report that the company would debut a G4 version of the PowerBook laptop series. The product launched soon thereafter, along with ThinkSecret's reputation among Apple's legendarily zealous fans, generating millions of page views per month.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Funny, the article says that it primality names the made up identity that has been posting the information, and Nicholas M. Ciarelli as the editor of the page. Ciarelli denies knowing anybody that works at Apple and says he uses the same techniques as journalists. This kind of reminds me about the uproar when Clancy first published "The Hunt For Red October". He dug up all sorts of stuff through good investigative techniques. The same may be in evidence here.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I'm a big Apple fan and it hurts to see Apple making the same mistakes it has in the past. It is becoming so arrogant with its recent success it's forgetting the loyal customers who 've always stuck with them over the years. Suing someone who runs an Apple fan site for Apple fans is disgusting.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I do see it from thier perspective. This kid must have a source apple that is leaking information. From an business standpoint this is really bad news for the company. But i agree with you. It reminds of Fox that went after X-Files site which were largely responsable for the shows sucsess.

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Suing someone who runs an Apple fan site for Apple fans is disgusting.

I have always liked Macs (had a 128) but never liked Jobs. This suing a 'pro' site is beyond stupid.

This young man (student) just got a million $$ in advertising. It may take him a bit but he will have an attorney. Wall Street Journal

As to trade secrets- California law?

Should be interesting to watch.

top topics

join