It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ferchrissakes Yet another Slave epic??..Roots remake and more.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Yes they are making a remake of Roots..why?? and why the rash of slave epics lets see we have.
Django Unchained.
12 years A Slave.
Underground. a T.V series about runaways and the underground railroad.

The upcoming Birth of A nation about Nat Turner.

The Book of Negroes.
I am certain more of the same coming down the pike, why is Hollyweird so gwaddamn one dimensional, it is either the Hood and the hustle, the comedian or the Slave and the sufferer not saying those stories can't be told but daayum!!! I swear sometimes I feel like I should go take a script writing class and try and do this myself.
Can we ferfeksakes have a period piece where the Black people are not victims but in charge and in control of our own destiny?? can we have that movie made already , thousands of yrs of history to choose from yet the Slave narrative is the one that get the green light every time?? C'mon Holly-weird step up your game already.
End Rant.

edit on 25-5-2016 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Indeed, Can we make a movie about Slavic people that were slaves... I think that is beyond Holly-weird's capabilities

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

I'm all for "never forgetting" about the wickedness and cruelty of mankind's past, in order to never repeat said past. However, such dramatizations of inhumanity and apathy really gets my blood boiling, and it is that very reaction that media conglomerates may be trying to cultivate within the general public. Perhaps, in an effort to kindle and rekindle racial tensions which leads to distrust, separation, hate, and violence,.... divide and conquer strategy. Just an opinion.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 07:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: frenchfries
Indeed, Can we make a movie about Slavic people that were slaves... I think that is beyond Holly-weird's capabilities

Indeed, especially since the word slave originally derived from the word Slav.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 07:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sahabi

I'm all for "never forgetting" about the wickedness and cruelty of mankind's past, in order to never repeat said past. However, such dramatizations of inhumanity and apathy really gets my blood boiling, and it is that very reaction that media conglomerates may be trying to cultivate within the general public. Perhaps, in an effort to kindle and rekindle racial tensions which leads to distrust, separation, hate, and violence,.... divide and conquer strategy. Just an opinion.

I am beginning to feel the same way Sahabai, because there are waaay too many stories out there to tell I am a nobody in the grand scheme of things but I can come up with historical events, mythologies and legends off the top of my head that would have potential audience going wow !! these guys have the resources of an entire industry and yet they pump out the same ol ish every other month it seems like.
edit on 25-5-2016 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

link   

yes I brought that up because I saw a docu in which caucasian women where enslaved by Turks. Something that is almost forgotten and might be very very controversial.

link   

You're upset over a half dozen movies about slavery? Why? If you don't want to watch these, there are plenty of non-slave movies to throw your money at, like Angry Birds, Captain America, X-Men and Jungle Book.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 07:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: frenchfries

yes I brought that up because I saw a docu in which caucasian women where enslaved by Turks. Something that is almost forgotten and might be very very controversial.

I think I know the Doc you are referring to, but why in Gwad's name should it be controversial it's a well known historical fact

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Bingo. They are coming out with all of these movies on purpose to piss people off... A few police shootings aren't having the ultimate effect yet, so they are trying harder. We must ask ourselves, where is the magicians hand in all of this? The economy tanking soon? WW3?

iTruthSeeker

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 07:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: ReprobateRaccoon

You're upset over a half dozen movies about slavery? Why? If you don't want to watch these, there are plenty of non-slave movies to throw your money at, like Angry Birds, Captain America, X-Men and Jungle Book.

No I am pissed because the narrative as far as Black folks in period pieces never seemed to change , and I have seen all the above.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: ReprobateRaccoon

I think OP is upset because it's always the same humdrum...

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 07:45 AM
link   

LOL, gotta keep the narrative alive, you know? Its all about the agenda..........Reparations!

So, now......Memorial Day is about the suffering former Black Slaves held in slavery by the evil white men.

But after a while, you learn to look past it and soon you don't even notice anymore. This stuff is made and promoted to a specific audience. If its not targeted at you................don't watch!

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   
This has always been a pet peeve of mine... While we should never forget, it is like Hollywood and their social justice enablers simply cannot move past it. The constant victimization narratives are getting old. This is why black folks cannot progress as we are constantly being told we are victims and then buying into this victimization trope.

I see no need to remake Roots. The original was well done and doesn't beg to be remade like some black and white movie from the 50s.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Perhaps, in an effort to kindle and rekindle racial tensions which leads to distrust, separation, hate, and violence,.... divide and conquer strategy. Just an opinion.

Is'nt that what the obama administration been doing? This is just feeding more into it.

edit on 25-5-2016 by Chance321 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

..... these guys have the resources of an entire industry and yet they pump out the same ol ish every other month it seems like.

It's called playing it safe to make $$$. These Hollywood production companies exist to make $$$, period. They do not exist to produce thought provoking art, that is the realm of independent film now. The reason we see all these remakes is because they take something that made $$$, polish it up a bit to make it more "modern looking" and resell it as new. It is a safe bet that what worked before, if updated, will work again.

It really is that simple.

ETA: Think of it from their perspective. You are a movie producer, which is like the CEO of a large company. You get investors to loan you $$$ (like in the tens of millions of $$$) to make a movie. They EXPECT a profit, not just a break even. You as the producer now need to make sure you make a profit. If you fail, not only do you now owe those investors their $$$, but an entire company could go bankrupt and thousands of workers lose their jobs. Oh, and they are all union workers to boot. Do you:

• Decide to go with an unproven script
  • Take a script proven to profit and update it
  • Make a sequel to a successful movie you made before

edit on 5/25/2016 by Krakatoa because: Added more thoughts

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

originally posted by: Spider879

..... these guys have the resources of an entire industry and yet they pump out the same ol ish every other month it seems like.

It's called playing it safe to make $$$. These Hollywood production companies exist to make $$$, period. They do not exist to produce thought provoking art, that is the realm of independent film now. The reason we all these remakes is because they take something that made $$$, polish it up a bit to make it more "modern looking" and resell it as new. It is a safe bet that what worked before, if updated, will work again.

It really is that simple.

That's just down right lazy,especially when there are so many great stories to tell.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Well, to be fair, it takes a while to create movies, and these were all probably started on the coattails of the success (?) of "Django Unchained" and "Twelve Years A Slave."

But just last year or the year prior, we had quite a few biblically themed movies come out. And then there is the influx of Marvel movies. And then a few years back again, there was a ton of military-themed movies.

Everything generally happens in an ebb-and-flow pattern in movie releases. It's not that big of a deal, and personally, I like movies that deal with uncomfortable topics UNLESS it's so dramatized that it loses most historical value as a film...which is probably about 60%-70% of "historical" movies.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   

No, its not lazy. Grow up now, it is purely business. A cutthroat business which expects to make millions of not tens of millions on all productions. Taking a risk with other peoples money, and risking the lives of thousands of UNION workers is what is at stake. If they do it wrong, or make the wrong decision, it could have a devastating effect on a LOT of people. Any movie that breaks even is a failure....like it or not.

ETA: I suggest you stick around some time after the movie ends and see how many people it took to make that movie. Every single one of those names are real people, working a real paid job, with real families to house and feed.

edit on 5/25/2016 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Then watch something else. I could see a problem if someone were holding you down, eyelids held open like in A Clockwork Orange and made you watch movies of the same genre over and over again.....but that is not the case.

As for agenda? I see far more superhero movies made. Is there an agenda there?

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Complain much....... 200 plus years of slavery vs a few movies. CRY....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join