It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Rapley’s award-winning bacon reduces your chance of being a suicide bomber by 100%."

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 04:23 AM
link   
The claim was made by Australian butcher Jeff Rapley as a light hearted way to advertise his award winning bacon but true to form the internet got upset after a local photographed his sign and posted it to social media.

Mr Rapley has since apologised for having a sense of humour although the sales of his medicinal bacon have increased to a point where he's nearly sold out.
Some people aren't happy unless they've got something to complain about.

Mr Rapley has since said that he meant no offence and was only trying to boost bacon sales. He also noted that no particular religion was mentioned and that he has a Muslim assistant working for him. “I’m definitely not a racist and didn’t mean for it to cause offence,” he told Narooma News.
He added that the social media response had got “way out of hand”. According to local news his bacon sales did increase and he was almost out of stock.
www.telegraph.co.uk...

I thought it was bloody hilarious mate , good on ya .

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Praise bacon !!

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Now it's wrong to be right, i never get the mentality of social media..

A billion people don't know what they are missing out on.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 04:56 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

While i find the Mans sense of humor to be hilarious also one has to wonder how long the poor dudes windows will remain intact, or his whole shop for that matter, should some crazy religious zealot or ISIS supporter happen upon such a statement?

Because if you were to attempt such levity here in the United Kingdom, especially anywhere that contains a significant Muslim population, i dont see it being appreciated.

Truth be told you cannot even purchase a BLT sandwich from the local Subway in my area for fear of somehow insulting the local Muslim population and/or Muslim customers. They just don't stock Bacon.

edit on 25-5-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 04:56 AM
link   

How could they possibly deny the truth in this?

It seems obvious to me that the stress of not being able to eat bacon, could drive one to such extremities!

If we could ALL share EQUALLY in the joy of bacon, this world would be a better and more humane place!

edit on 25/5/2016 by chr0naut because: Bacon!

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 05:18 AM
link   

How can you get upset about that? Nothing mentions religion or eating pork against religion. And I agree, eating bacon prevents a large percentage of suicide attacks/bombers.

Is also great with eggs and fried tomatoes, onions and capsican. Yum,,,on toast with Worcestershire sauce and pepper and a cup of coffee or tea to wash it down.

Kind regards,

bally

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 05:57 AM
link   

He might just try to be funny, but to me it looks like hatred disguised as a "joke"
He is free to do as he wants, i dont care much, but i would buy my bacon somewhere else if my local bacon pusher pulled that stunt
edit on 25-5-2016 by IAMNOTYOU because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 05:59 AM
link   
[ whinesnivelsnivelwhine ] But, you may hurt the poor terrorists feelings!! They have them ya know!

Social Media...where you can actually prove you're too stupid to tie your own shoes.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 06:21 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

FFS - please tell the truth about subway

the REAL reason that some subways do not stock bacon is NOT to avoid " offending " muslims - but because the cost // ergomomics and logistics of haveng a 2 lane prep area with sufficiently robust separration is just not viable in small store or stores with low profitability

the truth is - your local subway would not be viable if moslems did not eat there - and either its profitability prohibits the 2 lane kitchen - or there simply isnt room to implement it

this post was brought to you by reality - not anti islamic bollox

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 06:32 AM
link   

I thought it was bloody hilarious mate , good on ya .

Being an Aussie I can relate to not taking ourselves too seriously.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 06:33 AM
link   
I'm certainly no PC advocate or SJW by a long shot (you can check my post history if you don't believe me) but it's not hard to work out why Muslims would be upset by this. The sign clearly suggests a strong association between two ideas: "non-bacon eaters are exclusively Muslim" and "all suicide bombers are Muslim". Both are incorrect statements which negatively stereotype a minority, therefore the outrage.

Do I think the sign carries anti-Muslim connotations? Yes.

Do I think the person who made the sign should be subjected to harassment/death threats as a result? No. He should have the freedom to do as he pleases.

Do I think social media should explode over this story? No. It's simply a distraction story.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 06:55 AM
link   
In fact it doesn't.
Someone might become a suicide bomber because his guilty habit of eating bacon had undermined his hopes of getting to heaven any other way.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

As Jeff Rapley says in the linked article he has a Muslim assistant ,a little further digging reveals that not only does he have a Muslim assistant but he sponsored his trip to Sydney to to go boxing.
If Mr Rapley had any anti Muslim sentiment then I doubt that would be the case.

Ali Elmasri will fight at the Souths Juniors Club in Sydney on April 16 where he will face off against Mike Booth in themiddleweight division. “It’s not all about the results, it’s about the commitment, training well and a healthy lifestyle,” coach Scott Wharfe said.

Ali works at Rapley’s Midtown Quality Meats and butcher Jeff Rapley is sponsoring his trip to Sydney
www.naroomanewsonline.com.au...

Narooma where Rapley’s Midtown Quality Meats is located has a population of just 2,409 people , this was just a bit of fun from a local butcher that thanks to one person with a camera got blown out of all context.

edit on 25-5-2016 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 07:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: Dark Ghost

As Jeff Rapley says in the linked article he has a Muslim assistant ,a little further digging reveals that not only does he have a Muslim assistant but he sponsored his trip to Sydney to to go boxing.
If Mr Rapley had any anti Muslim sentiment then I doubt that would be the case.

Ali Elmasri will fight at the Souths Juniors Club in Sydney on April 16 where he will face off against Mike Booth in themiddleweight division. “It’s not all about the results, it’s about the commitment, training well and a healthy lifestyle,” coach Scott Wharfe said.

Ali works at Rapley’s Midtown Quality Meats and butcher Jeff Rapley is sponsoring his trip to Sydney
www.naroomanewsonline.com.au...

Narooma where Rapley’s Midtown Quality Meats is located has a population of just 2,409 people , this was just a bit of fun from a local butcher that thanks to one person with a camera got blown out of all context.

One person with a camera, people who share because they get offended, and people who share because they get offended by people who gets offended... etc why did you share?

Its not the man with the camera fault, the local butcher choosed to share that sign with the world, when he put it up in his window for all to see. If it needs context, he should have provided it - it is what it is

But who cares?, it is in his right to do as he please, some will think its funny and buy his bacon, others wont, and will shop elsewhere - But just as he is allowed to state his oppionen, so are we!

Some people aren't happy unless they've got something to complain about.

Are you complaining about people who doesnt see this as a simple joke? that would make you a hypocrite IMO

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMNOTYOU

why did you share?

As I said in the OP...

Me
I thought it was bloody hilarious mate

Its not the man with the camera fault, the local butcher choosed to share that sign with the world, when he put it up in his window for all to see.

No , he chose to share it with the 2,409 people who live in the town , the person with the camera chose to share it with the world.

Are you complaining about people who doesnt see this as a simple joke?

No , I'm pointing out that there are those out there who like to get upset on other peoples behalf.

Once laughter is gone what hope for mankind ?

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: IAMNOTYOU

why did you share?

As I said in the OP...

Me
I thought it was bloody hilarious mate

Fair enough

Its not the man with the camera fault, the local butcher choosed to share that sign with the world, when he put it up in his window for all to see.

No , he chose to share it with the 2,409 people who live in the town , the person with the camera chose to share it with the world.

People got cameras these days, he should have known that

Are you complaining about people who doesnt see this as a simple joke?

No , I'm pointing out that there are those out there who like to get upset on other peoples behalf.

Once laughter is gone what hope for mankind ?

I agree, and i can laugh at this for sure. But we live in a time, where suicide bombers and hatred against different believe systems is a big problem, and something many people is affected by in a bad way - so we cant expect everybody just to laugh at this

But we got bigger problems in the world, than what a small town butcher in Australia choose to use as an advertisment for his bacon - He stated himself that he didnt meant to hurt any feelings by this, and that is good enough for me

Where i live, we got something called a "french hotdog" so we see signs everywhere that states "french $2", and its never what i want it to be...

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

"Moslems"??? I never suggested anyone was evil and unjust.

And my local Subway does indeed refuse to stock Bacon because it would offend the Muslim population and customers of the area and if you doubt the fact why don't you ask them?

Here is there phone number 0141 423 8081 and address 337 Victoria Rd, Glasgow G42 7SA.

Funny how they manage to provide us with any other meat we care to choose in our sandwich, they dont seem to have a prep problem regarding those.

This post was brought to you by myself, stuff your reality!

Nothing to do with being anti Islamic but when i cant buy my favorite sandwich because it contains bacon from a Subway in Scotland something is very wrong!

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

utter bollox - and right on cue - you post a pic of a tiny store front

thankyou for demonstrating my point

there are 53 subway outlets in glasgow [ ignoring outliers line erskine , motherwwell etc etc ]

and 7 are halal

these are - as i predicted predominantly smaller shops - where its imposible to realiastically have a 2 lane prep // kitchen

as you so ` eloquently ` say " stuff reality "

you only have 46 subway outless in glasgow that do stock bacon - things are grim ` opp north `

may you wallow in the delusion of your " oppression " till teh pigs fly

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

They served Bacon for the first few years when the opened with out any issue or problem which you can establish yourself should you care to enquire.

Please dont try and tell me how thing are, i live there and am well aware of why Subway dont do BLTs, as is everyone else of the area.

As to the 46 other outlets, none of them are locally near me, whats your point?

So no bollox, just the cold hard truth!

Now may i suggest you jog along and wallow in your own delusion, or better yet phone them and establish the facts for yourself ya daffty!

top topics

join