It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Onions in Somalia (???)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Here in my locale we have a tremendous influx of Somalian immigrants. Many of them work in fast food places; in fact, it seems they must all team up to work in these places for some reason. I have no issue with immigrants provided they work and respect others. It seems these workers do for the most part, from what I can see.

There's one problem though; I often eat lunch (shame on me) at fast food places. A couple of my more favored places have almost 100% Somalian employees. You order, and they relay the order in Somalian; everyone in the place speaks Somalian (forgive me if this is the incorrect term for the language). Only the semi-English speaking folks get to take orders.

Now I don't speak Somalian, but I could swear when they call the order back they say "PILE ON THE EXTRA ONIONS!" Holy Mackerel, I'm sincerely think these folks believe they are doing people a favor by heaping on the onions. I wonder; do they even have onions in Somalia??? Must be a real delicacy, onions. If you tell them to hold the onions, to them this means only put half of a metric ton of onions on the sandwich. Gawd forbid you ever ask for "extra onions"!!!

When I place an order I have to say "No onions". They say "okay". I say "No really, NO onions, like not a single one, I don't want an onion within a country MILE of my sandwich, please. Seriously, absolutely NO onions, okay???" They say "okay" (and then holler to the back, "this guy only wants a few POUNDS of onions on his sandwich; this freak doesn't like mountains of raw onions like we all do, so go easy on the onions not like we normally do, okay?". After 14 or 15 iterations of this dialogue they start translating amongst each other. The conclusion is..."he ONLY want's at least 3.5 entire red onions on his sandwich, the daft dude up here at the counter".

What part of "I'm going into a meeting with 45 people who will be sitting right next to me, and I DON'T want ANY onions!!!!" is so hard to understand???

So, I've concluded that they must not have onions in Somalia, and that onions are a prized possession which everyone must certainly want a pickup load full of on anything they order....because they just never had the damn things!!

edit on 5/24/2016 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Nice rant. Without bothering to google 'cause I know that you're right, onions ARE a sacred and beloved commodity of Somalia. Every year, they elect an Onion King and Onion Queen and pray for a bounty of onions on their land.
The ceremony and pageantry is magnificent and everyone cries. Partially out of joy and partially because, you know...all the onions.

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 10:47 PM
link   

I am so glad that I didn't have coffee in my mouth whilst reading that.

In your position,I would eat the onions and then breathe heavily on everyone at the meeting.

That's just me.

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I swear, at McDonald's these folks serve a McOnion, and the quarter pounder (laugh...more like filet of shoe) costs extra.

At BK you get a whopper of an onion sandwich with a flame broiled onion and a side of onion rings...with exta onion if you want it.

At Wendy's you have to pay extra for tomatoes, but you have to pay twice for no onions.

Ahhhhh AHHHHH

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I just love Onion rings to dip in Catsup, but not those thick wedges of sliced uncooked white onions on burgers. They make your breath stink

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Microagression much?

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I have this thing about onions. I hate them with a passion. People get really annoyed at me for it, it's caused no end of strife in my life. I just can't handle them at all, even one tiny piece of one. The irony is I quite like the taste of onion, as long as it's powdered and no trace of the actual onion consistency remains.

I have to modify each and every burger I buy from each of the burger chains. I refuse to be one of these muppets that asks for no onions at the drive through. I just don't have that kind of patience. I just scrape them off.

Doner kebabs are a real problem, no matter how loudly you say it in Swahili you still get #ing onions and salad on your kebab unless you basically stand over them whilst they make it and physically stop them by screaming at them.

As for onions on pizzas. Who does that? Lots of idiots apparently, especially the ones that make frozen pizzas.

Onions are the ISIS of the vegetable world and I hate them with all my energy. Everybody else seems to think they are fantastic. I'm not weird, it's all you people.

edit on 25-5-2016 by angus1745 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Hey guys. I just wanted to say I'm a wierdo who thinks between white and red onions they can go on almost anything.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Would you like some onions with your fried onion ?

Onion soda ?
or
Onion thick shake ?

" Come feast with us at ... Onion Union ! "

... we try - you cry ! 😎

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 03:44 AM
link   
If you are going to a meeting, forget onions...garlic is the real deal! Trust me on this one. It is a natural antioxidant that block cancer you may have to deal with

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Hope this doesn't sound racist but I wouldn't eat out of a place with 100% Somalian workforce..
They are quite an unhygienic culture..
They also have a thing about spitting and many wipe their ass with just their hands and water.

Oh.. and enjoy your lunch today, I hope it doesn't contain onions..

edit on 25/5/16 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: angus1745

Well you can go to Chick-Fil-A, They don't even serve onions at all. How can you have lettuce, tomato and pickles but no onions? It always irritated me. ~$heopleNation

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Unresponsible

Nice rant. Without bothering to google 'cause I know that you're right, onions ARE a sacred and beloved commodity of Somalia. Every year, they elect an Onion King and Onion Queen and pray for a bounty of onions on their land.
The ceremony and pageantry is magnificent and everyone cries. Partially out of joy and partially because, you know...all the onions.

Ah ha ha ha! thanks man! LMAO! YOU ROCK!

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
I just love Onion rings to dip in Catsup, but not those thick wedges of sliced uncooked white onions on burgers. They make your breath stink

Is it Catsup or Ketchup? I betcha Catsup got onions in Somalia. Ketchup got onions in Somalia too!

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   
By eating onions are you appropriating Somali culture improperly? SJW wanna know!

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   
"The onion is the truffle of the poor". Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin'

edit on 25-5-2016 by HUMBLEONE because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Send them to North Dakota please. If you ask for extra onions up here, you get like two little rings of onions. It's like they are the most expensive topping in the world or something.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 11:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: HUMBLEONE

originally posted by: visitedbythem

Is it Catsup or Ketchup? I betcha Catsup got onions in Somalia. Ketchup got onions in Somalia too!

I usually do say ketchup/ I worked at Heinz in the mid 70s

top topics

join