It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illegal Immigrants Sue After Landlord Demands Documentation For Housing

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: sdcigarpig

Could be the property was/is getting lots of police calls too.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Maybe someone with rental or contractual law knowledge could clarify this for me. How is there any requirement for a property owner to have to renew a lease?
This seems a time fixed contract that, when completed, has the option of both parties agreeing to renew but where is it mandatory that they must?

I would think the original lease would have to state something about an automatic renewal or justifiable cause to not renew or some such wording.

I know rental laws vary by state, but I still don't see how the property owner is required to renew the contract or why they would have to justify a non-renewal.

With that being asked, shouldn't he just have kept his mouth shut and said we choose not to renew the contract?
edit on 25-5-2016 by quercusrex because: spelling

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Let me put it in a different perspective:

What if a property owner decides they no longer want to allow large breed dogs on the property and states to all residents that when our current contract ends, if you wish for us to agree to renew the contract, you must remove any large breed dogs from the property.

Not illegal or unethical, I think.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 01:07 AM
link   
a reply to: quercusrex

OOoooooo! Now you've done it! Discriminate against large breed dogs will ya!? You watch.. a lawyer representing Great Danes will be suing next

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 02:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: quercusrex
Let me put it in a different perspective:

What if a property owner decides they no longer want to allow large breed dogs on the property and states to all residents that when our current contract ends, if you wish for us to agree to renew the contract, you must remove any large breed dogs from the property.

Not illegal or unethical, I think.

I would argue that's unethical, it's a process which in most cases leads to several dead dogs. Mid life and older dogs aren't adopted, if the owners can't find a place that rents to them (happens often), then the dog is gone. Pretty poor practice to tear families up.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 02:28 AM
link   
I fail to see why illegal immigrants (criminals, basically) have the right to sue in the first place...

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Illegal immigrants are not the criminals here. Its the ones representing them. You know, the American 'lawyers' defending 'imigrants' with the word illegal preceding it.
A 'lawyer' defending 'illegal' act.
And were moralizing AGAINST the immigrants. All they have done wrong so far is not have any documentation. which crime is worst, being in a country with no papers, or representing illegal acts..
'Murica.

No one should even begin to look the immigrant whom lived at a place for over 2 years sideways.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz
Since I'm a local of the VA area I feel pretty safe giving info on this. Most likely my wife will see this case anyways.

For the lawyer this is what I like to call a fame case. They're not looking for a big payout but the free press they'll get from the news reports. It's very common, it does not matter which side they get as long as they get to be part of the case. As for who the layer is defending they're most likely resenting the part of the families that do have the right paperwork to be here.

As for the question on renewing lease in the VA area it depends on county but I know this one since I've lived in that area as well. A year lease is normal, some place do auto renew on a lease. But if they think you have more people they are with in their rights here to ask for paperwork and providing ID is a very normal part of that. This normally legal photo ID, SSN card or green card and two most current pay stubs. This is also for any 18 or above staying on the property. It can be asked for every time if the property owner wants to be a pest.

As for the dog restriction yup if they change the rules mid lease you have till you renew to get rid of the dog or move, and that's only if you were a lease holder be for the rule change. But you can't be kicked out till the end of the lease.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: quercusrex

Ok, if you sign a lease for a set time, like say 6 months, then after that if a new lease is not signed, and the landlord/property owner does not ask you to move, then under the law it becomes a month to month lease. However, also, the landlord could not ask for any more money without a new lease where the terms are carefully spelled out.

Most landlords, if they are not in the month to month thing, would have the tenants sign a new lease after the old one expires.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Reading over the lease paperwork they have back when they first signed the lease it's already on the paperwork to ask for SSN and valid passport so on and so forth. Plus a few other normal documents that people have already listed.

What seems to be the problem was the legal documents section wasn't being enforced till 2016. Why I couldn't say it's a leasing company so it could be something as simple as the company changed who was handling paperwork and one doing it now saw the laps. If it was a person to person based case they might have had a chance but with them taking on the leasing company as a whole it's not likely to pan out their way.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join