It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Carolinas blue waters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Awesome picture in the link im going to drop. I have never seen such a blue tint to the ocean except in the bahamas. WHat do you all think could be really causing it? Whatever it is its really nice i think.

blue water

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   
That article seems to be from 2 years ago?
Unless the date is wrong.
"Published: May 20, 2014, 7:11 pm"

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah
That article seems to be from 2 years ago?
Unless the date is wrong.
"Published: May 20, 2014, 7:11 pm"

Weird. I saw it on my news feed on FB.

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Our water on the west coast is pretty much greenish brown at best..I wonder if the clear blue indicated less activity by micro-organism's like algae?
edit on 24-5-2016 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

It's like that here in Virginia too. The Atlantic is much greener than other oceans because of its relatively shallow depth compared with other oceans. When the sand is light and the sun angles just right we get that Caribbean blue. Plus the further away from the north east you get the clearer the water is due to less churning up from traffic.
I'm not Virginia tourism but I love it here. It warms up early and stays warm late. Come on down.

I should add that mostly it's green
edit on 5242016 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Lots of plant life is why the Atlantic is greener.
I think lots of oysters is why it's clearer. They like it warmer and the Atlantic is warmer than other oceans especially on the western edge where it's fed by the gulf stream.
edit on 5242016 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

It's like that here in Virginia too. The Atlantic is much greener than other oceans because of its relatively shallow depth compared with other oceans. When the sand is light and the sun angles just right we get that Caribbean blue. Plus the further away from the north east you get the clearer the water is due to less churning up from traffic.
I'm not Virginia tourism but I love it here. It warms up early and stays warm late. Come on down.

I should add that mostly it's green

well its on one of my places to visit when i get the chance one day. There was a theory on it might had been the sand they brought in to revitalize the shoreline by dredging. effectively increasing the depth offshore.

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   

They are in a constant battle to maintain the beaches. The Army Corp of Engineers keep putting the sand on the shore and mother nature keeps snatching it back. Sometimes a little at a time sometimes in big chunks.
Virginia is lovely. Ask me about it.

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Fascinating stuff, isn't it? Could be simple geologic activity, churning and turning of sand and sediment and ocean currents/jetstreams etc. mean the surface of the sea floor is constantly being moved and changing.

Could also be ocean acidification

This webpage from NASA has some good info on the ocean and different tints of blue & brown & green you see and the reasons behind them

edit on 24-5-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I was at folly a few weeks ago and it was pretty brown :/

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Yes thats from couple years ago. Im a Charlestonian.. that water was always the usual Atlantic mucky water until the work by the College of Charleston. It is almost as pretty as "gulf" beaches, but no where near as blue as the Miami or keys beaches.
edit on 24-5-2016 by Istaywoke77 because: long nail typos

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Istaywoke77

Ahhh. Mystery solved then. Still was pretty neat while it lasted

top topics

join