It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

I Exist, But I Do Not Live

page: 1

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 03:40 AM
What is the difference, you might ask?

Those who exist are merely observers and take a rather passive approach to life. You will not find them climbing the highest mountains, braving the roughest seas or running the most epic of marathons. They rarely stray from the linear path ahead. They stay within the boundaries of their comfort zone. They prefer thought, dialogue and analysis of events rather than being directly part of those events. They maintain a deep sadness within themselves that makes relating to most other people very difficult.

Those who live are seekers and take a rather active approach to life. You will find them going through great lengths to prove themselves to others and strive for self-improvement as well. They are always searching for fresh avenues to explore and ways to spice things up in their lives. They prefer action and adventure, believing they create their own destiny. They maintain a bright spark of optimism within that seems impervious to the external pressures that surround them.

This is not simply a case of Pessimist vs. Optimist or Introvert vs. Extrovert. It goes far deeper than those labels. It is more an outlook on life; a differing expression of the world inside translated into the universe without.

I seem to fall into the "existing" category. I do things to pass the time and escape boredom, I don't really do anything because I enjoy it. If you asked me what defines me, or what my passion is, or what I would prefer to spend my time doing if given the choice, I would simply respond that I do not know.

Will I ever know, or will everything remain a mystery until I live?

How about you? Do you exist, or do you live?

edit on 24/5/2016 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 03:45 AM
Sounds similar to the spiritually minded mortals that see this world as a learning Boot-Camp for the coming real adventure compared to the material lovers that believe that this material world is everything and its over when they die.

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 04:21 AM
I used to live, when turning 16 i ventured out on the ocean as a sailor, i have sailed the seven seas, and in distance around the world a couple of times.

It was life, enjoyment and happiness, culture and exploration, rough seas and absolute silence, very cold and very hot depending on the distination, from the far north, Greenland, to the far south, South America.

I stopped sailing 15 years ago, and since then became a passive observer, watching over the world and my family.

Life has become boring, the kids are grown up and are minding their education, i do nothing at the moment being single and unemployed , i wanna go back to sea, i wanna live again.

My first ship, boy have i been around and rode of some storms with that baby, oh the memories...sad face with a small smile.

edit on 24-5-2016 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 04:32 AM
a reply to: Rapha

Belief of an afterlife is critical for those existing to maintain their sanity.

a reply to: Mianeye

Well to quote the band Toto: "Hurry boy, it's waiting there for you!"

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 04:40 AM
a reply to: Dark Ghost

Having a conscious mind, doest not ease the teen n'r the suff'ring. Being a singularity 'mongst oth'rs is painful, seeing things with a diff'rent setteth of eyes doest not haply lib'rate thee but curses instead...

Those gents hath said we might not liveth tom'rrow if 't be true this sir runs freely.

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 05:37 AM
Some are both, who intermittently act within both schools.

When I was younger I suppose I lived a lot more, especially in my teenage years... Women, travel, sports etc.

I did and explored mainly because it was new and fresh but even then I had this nagging issue that everything has been done before. Everything has been seen and humans have done so much and it's too easy to experience via observation.

Nothing is truly new, just your personal experience and even then it can be tainted by the experiences of those before you. Think about it... The first time you had sex for instance, I can imagine most had an inkling of what to expect.

It is a lot deeper than thrill seeker/observer as you said. It involves addiction, ego, quest for personal experience and probably a lot more.

Interesting thread, apologies if my POV seems depressive lol I've grew to observe as time has past. That being said one can train and watch swimmers all you like to learn about say gorge walking. Yet once you experience the rush I guess you don't know what you were missing.

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 05:49 AM

How about you? Do you exist, or do you live?

I exist.

Though, if you asked me what I would prefer to spend my time doing if given the choice, I have an answer more than "I don't know".

I want to own land, I want to spend my time about the outdoors of my property, away from humankind, away from technology, just doing my own thing, living how I feel I ought to. While not as "living" as a daredevil going skydiving and bungee jumping and mountain climbing to spice up their life... If I were able to do what I would prefer, I would feel myself "living" more than "existing".

But that's just the state of the world for me. I feel that in this day, we were born to merely exist.

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 05:53 AM
The question for me is:

Is it the person who disconnect itself from the world that is to blame for the lack of understanding?
Or the society that is to blame for the lack of understanding?
Or both?

Communication goes 2 ways. When the other do not listen sometimes people get tired of trying to breach the barrier.

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 08:04 AM
a reply to: RAY1990

You make a good point that I overlooked: at different stages of life we can experience either existing or living. I probably should have specified also that the "thrill seeker" attitude is more of an extreme example of a living type person. It didn't mean to suggest it was a widespread trait.

Thanks for your reply, it complements the opening post rather well.

a reply to: kaelci

Interesting. I can relate to feelings of wanting to get away from modern society and doing my own thing, unburdened by the concerns and backwards priorities associated with it.

a reply to: LittleByLittle

An excellent question indeed. I think when you think deeply about it, you can find evidence that both the individual and the society are responsible. In my case, I feel that I am to blame...but then again, am I not just a product of the society I was raised in?

edit on 24/5/2016 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 08:06 AM

I just exist and try to learn. I do not like people/society for the most part. I feel I do not belong and I get bad anxiety whenever I venture too far from home to areas with a lot of people. It can suck at times but it is what it is. I spend most of my free time, again trying to learn all I can about this cluster *** we call reality.

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 08:33 AM

I do not think to live you must climb mountains, swim oceans or hike the AT. However, I do think you mentally have to be aware, in the moment.

People can make huge goals for themselves and succeed, but if they are not in the moment, then they are not living.

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 10:06 AM
It's somewhat telling of our culture that we have separate concepts of "existing" and "living", to say that there is a form of existence which does not constitute actually "living", or a form of being alive that does not actually imply "existence". To exist at all is the be present in the now, whether it's to yourself, another, or an entire audience. Do we exist to serve our memories? Is a life fully lived measured in experiences? If a tree grows in the forest, lives, ages, withers, dies, and deteriorates into nothing, and nobody has ever laid eyes on it, was it ever truly alive to begin with? Does it remember? Are memories of existence the testimonial upon which one may declare their life "lived"? Is the act of remembering proof of existence?

Perhaps we only fail to live when we believe that we have failed to live. Perhaps we only exist because we believe that we exist. I don't believe that we can fail to exist for lack of belief in it, aside from embracing oblivion as one eventually does, but it's difficult to dispute that if you believe that you've lived, then you have. Is it so unlikely to be both?

I believe that I exist and live, so I do and have.

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 11:22 AM

If you would like to truly live. Explore things. Find out something that you think you would enjoy and research it. Stand up for that thing that you believe in. Explore new things, find new foods. Love people and make adversaries. Go above and beyond to find things out. Always be seeking out more. That is how you can live.

However, if you wish to be more simple, just explore yourself. Find out things about yourself. Be mentally aware whenever and wherever. I do know what it is like to exist and what it is like to live. Most of the time I live but if there is a time where I just don't want to think about it, or feel any emotion, I simply click off the portion of me that likes to seek out new things and express itself. Most of the time when I do such it is a pretty desperate time. I don't like to do it often because I fear that I may become an empty shell, merely a vessel without life. If you choose to do as I do, take caution.
edit on 24-5-2016 by tardisbluegirl54 because: wanted to add more

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 12:11 PM

Borrowed from the Concise Yoga Vansistha

This house known as the body has not been made by anyone in fact!

Dreams are real during the dream-state; even so the body is real when it is experienced as a real substance. The notion of 'I am this body' arises in relation to what is truly a piece of flesh with bones because of a mental predisposition; it is an illusion.

Abandon this illusion.

There are thousands of such bodies which have been brought into being by your thought-force.

When you are asleep and dreaming, you experience a body in the dream. Where does that body arise or exist?

'This is wealth.' 'This is body' and 'This is a nation' - all these are notions (conceptual thoughts). Know this to be a long dream, or a long-standing hallucination, or day-dreaming or wishful thinking.

When, by the grace of God or the Self (both are the same), you attain awakening, you will then see all this clearly.

I remarked that I was born of the mind of the Creator: Even so the world arises in the mind as a notion. In fact, even the Creator is but a notion in the cosmic mind; the world-appearance too, is a notion in the mind.

If a man resolutely seeks the source of the notions... he realizes consciousness; otherwise he experiences the illusory world-appearance again and again. For by continually entertaining notions such as 'This is it', 'This is mine' and 'This is my world', they assume the appearance of substantiality.

The permanency of the world is also an illusion: in the dream-state, what is really a brief moment is experienced by the dreamer as a life-time. In a mirage only the illusory 'water' is seen and not the substratum: Even so, in a state of ignorance one sees only the illusory world-appearance but not the substratum (consciousness).

However, when one has shed that ignorance, the illusory appearance vanishes. Even the man who is normally subject to fear is not afraid of an imaginary tiger; the wise man who knows that this world is nothing but a notion or imagination is unafraid of anything.

When one knows that the world is nothing but the appearance of one's Self (infinite consciousness), of whom need one be afraid? When one's vision is purified by inquiry, one's deluded understanding concerning the world vanishes.

When one realizes that death is inevitable to all, why will he grieve over the death of relatives or the approach of one's own end? When one realizes that everyone is sometimes prosperous and otherwise at other times, why will he be elated or depressed?

When one sees that living beings appear and disappear like ripples on the surface of consciousness, where is the cause for sorrow?

What is true is always true (what exists always exists), and what is unreal is ever unreal; where is the cause for sorrow?

Hence, one should not pin one's faith, hopes and aspirations on that which is unreal; for such hope is bondage. O Rama, do thou live in this world without entertaining any hope. What has to be done has to be done, and what is inappropriate should be given up.

Live happily and playfully in this world without considerations of desirable and undesirable. The infinite consciousness alone exists everywhere at all times.

What appears to be is but an appearance. When the appearance is realized as appearance, that which is, is realized.

Either realize 'I am not and these experiences are not mine' or know that 'I am everything' - you will be free from the lure of world-appearance. Both these attitudes are good. You will be freed form attraction and aversion (raga-dvesa).

Whatever there is in the world, in the firmament and in heaven is attained by one who has destroyed the twin forces of attraction and aversion. Whatever the ignorant man does, prompted by these forces, leads him to instant sorrow.

O Rama, for your spiritual awakening I declare again and again that this world-appearance is like a long dream.

Wake-up, wake-up... behold the Self which shines like the sun.

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 12:21 PM
what veracity said above sums it up pretty well. the truth about life and existence is so simple that it is easy to ignore.

edit on 24-5-2016 by glowdog because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-5-2016 by glowdog because: forgot quote thingy

new topics