It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Federal Grant To Faith-Based Arizona Group Blocked

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Dealing a blow to President Bush's goal of supporting faith based charities, a judge has blocked the administrations funding to an religious based Arizona mentoring program This is the first time that a judge has ruled against using public funds for a religious charity. The President has campaigned to establish a program that allows religious based groups the same access to federal funds as others.

story.news.yahoo.com
MADISON, Wis. - A judge has blocked the Bush administration from providing future "faith-based" grants to an Arizona mentoring group that injected religion into its publicly funded programs.

The ruling is the first time a judge has struck down a grant through the president's faith-based initiative, which seeks to give religious groups equal footing in seeking federal grants to provide social services.

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services cut off funds to MentorKids USA in December after evidence showed the group used public money to directly support activities such as worship or religious instruction.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Yet again the courts have correctly sided in the church versus state issue. Once you begin using public funds to support religious groups, you tacitly give approval to the particular faith that you are giving to. It is interesting to see this seemingly broad based attack on this most basic of tenants of our constitution.

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 02:54 AM
link   
I disagree with you Fred.
the 'issue' here is

. . . evidence showed the group used public money to directly support activities such as worship or religious instruction.

(emphasis added)
It is NOT support of 'religious groups.' This group stepped over the line and lost their dough ($$). It will take time, maybe a long time, for religious groups to be able to use public monies appropriately. I have no doubt that some will. This broad brush fling of yours Fred belies an anti-religious groups bias on your part. O.K. by me, as I like biased people.

Will other (non-religious) groups receive the same attention?

(at the gates of heaven don't stand too close to me, O.K.?)

Oh, and I want in front of you in line. I have a feeling you are going to be 'detained' indefinitely

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Oh Joe, don't let my karma run over your dogma. At anyrate, NO public money should ever go religious orgs. EVER. And in regards to the Pearly Gates, I have a get out of Jail Free Card. Im a pediatric nurse I take care of special needs children. :p

More likely though Joe, save me a seat around the fire mmm'kay?

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 03:38 AM
link   
I agree Fred. Its this religous crap that turns people against conservatives, and it has to stop.

No money should ever be given from public fund to fund any sort of religous activity. The problem with mainly Christian charities is they use them as tools of conversion and preaching. Like missionaries that go to Africa, they do good things there such as build wells and help cure sickness, but their mission is one of conversion and preaching. If private citizens want to fund such things, more power to them, but don't use my tax dollars and public money to fund groups of people whose faith is antagonistic to my personal convictions and beliefs.

The govornment should never fund "crusades" period.

I have high hopes that Bush's whole faith based initive crap will go down the toilet, as more judges rule against this unconstitutional violation of seperation of church and state.

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Fred
No fire here though.

I agree with the 'religious proselytizing' vis a vis public money argument. Shouldn't happen.

What I see is a few more tests to see where the boundries are.

Just because an organization is a religious organization they shouldn't be barred from receiving public money for doing public work. To hold to this viewpoint would be just as unconstitutional.

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I have to agree that charities that used our tax payer money should not be used to promote religious base believes that is not what the grants are for they are for social services to the community, no for preaching and religous services that is what the church is for with public donations.

top topics

join