It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VA secretary: Disney doesn't measure wait times, so why should VA?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   
The U.S. Veterans Affairs Secretary was in front of Congress talking about those well known wait times for Vets at VA facilities.

Seems the best he could come up with was a comparison to "wait times" at Disneyland rides !!!!!

This is a classic deflection from reality.

We've heard great excuses for failure from many politicians, but this takes the blue ribbon bar none.

A turkey is a turkey is a turkey.

VA secretary: Disney doesn't measure wait times, so why should VA?

Veterans Affairs Secretary Robert McDonald on Monday compared the length of time veterans wait to receive health care at the VA to the length of time people wait for rides at Disneyland, and said his agency shouldn't use wait times as a measure of success because Disney doesn't either.

"When you got to Disney, do they measure the number of hours you wait in line? Or what's important? What's important is, what's your satisfaction with the experience?" McDonald said Monday during a Christian Science Monitor breakfast with reporters. "And what I would like to move to, eventually, is that kind of measure."

McDonald's comments angered House Speaker Paul Ryan, who tweeted out Monday afternoon, "This is not make-believe, Mr. Secretary. Veterans have died waiting in those lines."

Tickets Please !!

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   
This is a good example of why we should have a Universal Healthcare system. If the wait is too long at the Dumbo ride, you should be able to go to another "ride" that will serve you in a timely manner.

But we can't because the profit from the ticket is more important than the outcome for the consumer.

That is a problem for both Democrats and Republicans.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   
There's a reason why the VA is outsourcing most of its healthcare for the vets, thank god.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
This is a good example of why we should have a Universal Healthcare system. If the wait is too long at the Dumbo ride, you should be able to go to another "ride" that will serve you in a timely manner.

The VA IS a Universal Healthcare system--for veterans. There is no other ride.

But we can't because the profit from the ticket is more important than the outcome for the consumer.

The Veteran's Administration is a government agency. It doesn't get profits from tickets.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 06:37 PM
link   

The U.S. Veterans Affairs Secretary

A known ProgLib...

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

No. The VA is a healthcare system that serves veterans, but veterans are not necessarily covered if they go to another care facility. UHC would ensure their costs were covered, regardless of where they sought care.

The Veteran's Administration is a government agency. It doesn't get profits from tickets.

You missed the point. More concern is directed at cost than quality of care. Like Disney, who are concerned about profit over customer concern about waiting in line.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

The government running something into a total clustercopulation is a good example of why we should hand power over the whole mess to the government!?!?

No, my friend, the VA is a perfect example of why the government needs any hand that strays into the private sector's business chopped off and the stub cauterized to ensure a new hand never regrows there.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 06:44 PM
link   

When the government runs all the rides and makes everything equal like it does with the VA, the wait if the wait. One ride's wait will the same as the next one's because you paid the fee and all the rides are owned by the same park owner and you are at the mercy of how many other people are in the same park with you waiting to ride also. It creates rationing of the ride system.

This is why we shouldn't have universal health care. Your bureaucrats go before congress and tell them that you should enjoy waiting for your health care just like you enjoy waiting to ride on the theme park rides.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

When the government runs all the rides and makes everything equal like it does with the VA, the wait if the wait.

True, but the government does not own all the rides in town. Give our vets the ability to go elsewhere.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Usually people don't die waiting to get on Pirates of the Caribbean.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

UHC would be profitable for the private sector. I'm not saying we should create a system in which all healthcare is modeled after the VA. I'm saying we should cover the costs for the vets if they want to get care outside of the VA system.

You should be ok with that.
edit on 23-5-2016 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   

When the government runs all the rides and makes everything equal like it does with the VA, the wait if the wait.

True, but the government does not own all the rides in town. Give our vets the ability to go elsewhere.

But then the vets wouldn't be experiencing the joys of their Universal Healthcare System. Either they have the utopian system you think we should all have or they don't. Which is it?

If you want to free them from it, it must not be all that great.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I actually had to cool down before I wrote something.

What an asshole.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   

UHC is a system that covers costs. It does not administer care or services, nor should it. That is done in the private sector.
edit on 23-5-2016 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

What I really want to say is against T&C. Just when you think they cant get any dumber in D.C. Must be a lot of lead in the water there.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Oh, I see. So it is the fault of the private sector?

Then explain why it is that they use the same system we use, and we don't have to wait that long?

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Seriously ?

Between MEDICARE,MEDICAID, and TRICARE the state owns the biggest rides of them all.

That costs WE the people over a Trillion dollar each and every year.

And that is 'non' profit.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   

I'm not actually OK with that in any of the current ideas floating around. I think our veterans should have better health insurance provided to them than Congress has, certainly. I don't however, think it should be administered over or controlled by the government in any way. It should be open market, chosen by company proposals based on qualifications and cost of service just as every other government contract should be. If Aetna offers $500 deductable, $20 co-pay, and costs the tax payers $300 per month, per veteran in premiums while BCBS offers $1000 deductable, $30 co-pay, and a tax payer cost of $250 per month, a panel needs to perform a cost benefit ratio and select the one that offers the best bang for the soldier against the buck from the tax payer.

Fact of the matter is that I feel these costs should largely be shouldered by foreign countries and private industries which have directly benefited from the American millitary's involvement in wars that had NOTHING to do with defense of this country's citizens or our Constitution.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Veterans Affairs Secretary Robert McDonald

Of course he compared the lines to those of Disney ... rather than the lunch lines at McDonald's.

He figured he'd have to change his first name to Ronald if he made that mistake.

Nevertheless, the guy's full of BS. I knew he would be. Nobody in your government wants to pay the price of quality healthcare when it comes to Veterans. It's gonna be that way until Veteran's make a stand.

Remember how quiet it got when the Vets opened up the memorials in D.C.? Remember the pucker factor? Too bad they didn't come armed.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 07:11 PM
link   

a reply to: schuyler

No. The VA is a healthcare system that serves veterans, but veterans are not necessarily covered if they go to another care facility. UHC would ensure their costs were covered, regardless of where they sought care.

You missed the point. More concern is directed at cost than quality of care. Like Disney, who are concerned about profit over customer concern about waiting in line.

I did not miss ANY point. YOU did. The VA is an example of what you would get had you a Universal Healthcare System in place. There is no other alternative. You won't be able to go down the block to "better" healthcare because, guess what? Down the block is run by the same people with the same rules and the same "cost constraints" audited by the same Federal bureaucrats whose main job is to keep costs down. In fact, you will be assigned to a given clinic and required to go there.

The VA is a long-standing, government-run Universal Healthcare System. It is a microcosm of what you would have if the government ran healthcare for everyone. There would be no other choices. And cost would be the driving factor of why you could not get healthcare. Death Panels anyone? Hey, if you're over age X, you won't be eligible for a transplant. And about that knee? Sorry-ineligible because you are too old and it's not cost-effective to fix it for you.

If you really want to see what a Universal Health Care System would look like, just look at the VA today and imagine that everyone is REQUIRED to use it. Private-based healthcare would completely disappear in a government-run system.
edit on 5/23/2016 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join