It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Painted Medieval church walls discovered in Northern Sudan :

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Painted Medieval church walls discovered in Northern Sudan

The largest group of paintings from the turn of the 8th/9th century has been discovered in Sudan by the mission of the Centre of Mediterranean Archaeology of the University of Warsaw.

The discovery was made during excavations inside the Church of Raphael in the royal complex in Dongola, northern Sudan. The temple is located next to the relics of a medieval palace. Dongola was the capital of Makuria, a powerful kingdom, which existed from the sixth to the fourteenth century, between I and V cataracts of the Nile. Its power is evidenced by the fact that the army of Makuria stopped the pressure of Muslim army in the first half of the 7th century.

The church was discovered in 2006. However, it was crucial for the researchers to secure the structure. It was not until last year that a roof was built, which allowed to begin excavations.

"The design is unique - it does not repeat the plans of other famous religious buildings of this type. Paintings are also unusual" - told PAP Prof. Włodzimierz Godlewski from the Institute of Archaeology of the University of Warsaw, a longtime researcher of Dongola.

The paintings depict images of archangels, angels, priests, saints and Nubian kingdom officials from the beginning of the 9th century. Originally, at each of the figures was a "legend" describing each person and their function.

Prof. Godlewski drew attention to one of the inscriptions discovered on the wall of the baptistery, which in his opinion has great historical significance. "The inscription commemorates the meeting of the bishops of Makuria with the king and archbishop of Dongola that took place in this church. This record revealed the territorial division of the church in Makuria - it listed the names of the bishops from particular towns" - said Prof. Godlewski.

Read more at archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.com...

This period of medieval Nile valley of Egypt and Sudan needs more attention IMO, it is little known and less understood , for folks who may remember this post it would also fit neatly here.

mages From Medieval Christian Africa:

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 23-5-2016 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   
nice stuff

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Never heard of it. Great Find! (For me atleast)

Any mention of biblical figures in the Sudan/Nile during this time period in script or art?

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: In4ormant

Any mention of biblical figures in the Sudan/Nile during this time period in script or art?

Well not this time period as the scriptures were already written, but if one remembers the Ethiopian ambassador that got converted to Christianity on the road to Jerusalem , he was from this area and not the country of Axum further south , also Taharka and Shabaka who were in conflict over the domination of Palestine for control vs the expanding Assyrians.

And while of extra biblical account we have St Maurice the first Christian Knight who carried the spear of destiny that pierced Christ ribs by the Roman soldier Longinus, he was a Theban and a Christian from upper Egypt sent to quell a rebellion in France by a tribe called the Bagaudae upon finding out they were fellow Christians he refused the order by Emperor Maximilian to slaughter them, he was given repeated chances to do so, finally Maximilian had him excused, his men also refused and he had them decimated, I think every 4th men?? were stabbed to death for this he is remembered as Christianity's first Knight. the order of St Maurice still stands today.
And there is evidence that they took up arms as Crusaders in alliance with the west.
edit on 23-5-2016 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

Well not this time period as the scriptures were already written, but if one remembers the Ethiopian ambassador that got converted to Christianity on the road to Jerusalem , he was from this area and not the country of Axum further south , also Taharka and Shabaka who were in conflict over the domination of Palestine for control vs the expanding Assyrians.

And while of extra biblical account we have St Maurice the first Christian Knight who carried the spear of destiny that pierced Christ ribs by the Roman soldier Longinus, he was a Theban and a Christian from upper Egypt sent to quell a rebellion in France by a tribe called the Bagaudae upon finding out they were fellow Christians he refused the order by Emperor Maximilian to slaughter them, he was given repeated chances to do so, finally Maximilian had him excused, his men also refused and he had them decimated, I think every 4th men?? were stabbed to death for this he is remembered as Christianity's first Knight. the order of St Maurice still stands today.
And there is evidence that they took up arms as Crusaders in alliance with the west.

Great account but I.posed a question that was unclear.

I meant to ask if there were any writings or art depicting biblical figures. Is Jesus portrayed anywhere or mentioned in these areas? A drawing or a passage of scripture enscripted on a wall? It has art and records of priests,saints angels etc. Didn't know if John the Baptist ever popped up on a wall.

Thanks

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   

I meant to ask if there were any writings or art depicting biblical figures. Is Jesus portrayed anywhere or mentioned in these areas? A drawing or a passage of scripture enscripted on a wall? It has art and records of priests,saints angels etc. Didn't know if John the Baptist ever popped up on a wall.

Thanks

Oh yes there is actually.

A bishop with St Mary gently touching his shoulder.

Nubian Bishop Under The Protection Of the holy father.
follow this link for more, the Byzantine influence was very strong in Christian Nubia during this era, but In Axum further south they very early on took on a more local style.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Thanks

Oh yes there is actually.

A bishop with St Mary gently touching his shoulder.

Nubian Bishop Under The Protection Of the holy father.
follow this link for more, the Byzantine influence was very strong in Christian Nubia during this era, but In Axum further south they very early on took on a more local style.

Much appreciated! I'm always curious of other regions' accounts of biblical people and events.
edit on 23-5-2016 by In4ormant because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   

I like this, it is proof that the African cultures of the period were not only christian but just as advanced and maybe even more so than there European and Arabian counterpart's of the same period as well as apparently more civilized.

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: LABTECH767

I like this, it is proof that the African cultures of the period were not only christian but just as advanced and maybe even more so than there European and Arabian counterpart's of the same period as well as apparently more civilized.

Thanks LABTECH but it all depends on the culture in question ,not all developed equally at the same rate , even in the same general areas..

new topics

top topics

join