It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds Spending Your Tax $$ On Researching A Bee Sting To the Penis! NICE!! (sarc.)

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: ugmold
a reply to: paxnatus
The Gonads would be worse, me thinks.

would it also give you hives?

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Turn of the century - 2 million awarded to study the sex life of some kinda cricket in the Catskill mountains

As part of the bailout - Florida spends over 2 million building underpasses under roads for turtles. And they even put little turtle signs above the underpasses. Unfortunately , they didnt ask the turtles' opinion. Seems the turtles had rather follow the chicken route.

And now this. In the name of science.
Shows how stupid politicians are , huh. They will fall for anything. But they do get a chunk of that change back "under the table" .

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

Maybe it's a sinister plan for future torture of detainees!

Bingo!

Just think, all natural torture. They could write it off- "he was that way when we found him!"

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Nevermind, off topic.

iTruthSeeker
edit on 23-5-2016 by iTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Taxpayers paid for one scientist to have a bee sting his penis

Th'at's just soooo wrong.

So wrong.

So wrong.

So wrong.

Wrong!?! How about retarded? I know that's a harsh word but really WTF is wrong with this world? lol ...wait I mean country...

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: BLee8127

You and I may think it's retarded.

And others called it 'scientific progress' !

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Not replying to the other stuff since there's no point.

originally posted by: neo96

Remember this: Capitalism as it stands in the US and many other countries on the planet is slavery, with chains made of debt and worry instead of iron and steel.

And no capitalism isn't slavery.

It's the ONLY economic model in the world were a person can become their own master.

So you're telling me that everyone, before the invention of capitalism, was somehow enslaved?
Not. Buying. It.

Also, what I said was "as it stands in the US and many other countries on the planet." Because what those countries call "Capitalism" isn't the good, freedom-providing kind. It's the crony kind, that benefits only the very few at the expense of the many, and the planet.

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 12:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

originally posted by: stosh64
And some people want bigger government.....SMH.

right....because this represents all or most government spending....shakes head

Around 57% of the government's discretionary spending is on the military.
edit on 24/5/2016 by Eilasvaleleyn because: Reasons

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 12:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

That in no way refutes the assumption that the government should seek out to find more important studies and uses of tax payer money than.......having a bee sting some dude on his tallywacker.

If you sit in a room brainstorming and that's the best use of money you can come up with, it's an utter embarrassment.

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 12:25 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

I don't think the "others" you're referring to actually said it was "scientific progress." Most seemed to consider it either a weird use of money but ultimately a small drop in the Olympic swimming pool compared to the other sh*t the government puts money into. (No, not the things that actually help the citizens of the country. Corporate welfare, absurd military budget, so on and so forth) or something that they couldn't really comment on due to not having the full scientific paper, and saying all the outrage was a kneejerk reaction to something not properly understood.

Buzzy:

Maybe it's a sinister plan for future torture of detainees!

Kali:

Washington Times is rarely factual.
Just sayin'

ETA: Apparently this was a study on pain index of bee stings, granted funding for the research by the student's university out of the government grant the school receives.

Krazysh0t:

Can you define science that is wasteful versus beneficial? You can't know how beneficial a study is until it is completed and the results compiled. Of all the topics and things people complaining about government wasting money on, science is probably the dumbest. Just because you don't find the information useful doesn't mean that it can't be useful. Nothing dumber than calling increasing the human knowledgebase a waste of money.

I mean you are complaining about $50,000 spent on a study while the government is dumping BILLIONS into wars, death, destruction, and other stuff that we find questionable. Get your priorities straight...

Gryphon66.

Hmm... that does seem a little odd ... taken out of context.

Oh well, valuable information about bee stings and penises, I guess.

Sometimes science advances in great steps ... sometimes in smaller units.

What about the billions of $$ used to underwrite mega-churches, Christian Schools, Universities, etc?

What about the funds that Fundie State governors illegally scam from the Fed for private (usually Christian) Schools?

Could this be an instance of selective outrage?

Myself:

All I can really say is "thank god they're not spending it on more wars, or funneling it to corporations."

A bit of an odd thing to waste money on at present time, but it could be worse.

edit on 24/5/2016 by Eilasvaleleyn because: Reasons

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 12:27 AM
link   
a reply to: MysticPearl

It wasn't the government funding this directly. Read Kali's post on the first page. It was taken out of the grant the government already gives to the university, by the university, to pay for it.

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 01:04 AM
link   

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 06:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: MysticPearl

That in no way refutes the assumption that the government should seek out to find more important studies and uses of tax payer money than.......having a bee sting some dude on his tallywacker.

If you sit in a room brainstorming and that's the best use of money you can come up with, it's an utter embarrassment.

Who says the government seeks these ideas out? Do you even know the process for how these studies get approved? I'll give you a hint, I posted it earlier in the thread for another study someone else posted.

In any case, scientists pitch these ideas to a government agency. They hypothesize the benefits and reasons for the experiment and then that agency approves the project. It's all standard bureaucracy and wasting effort complaining about something like the government spending $50,000 on a science project you may not be able to see the benefits from is dumb because the government is spending FAR more money on FAR more awful and wasteful things. So worry about that # instead. This is just a red herring.

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I wonder how much they paid the poor guy that had to get stung. I can't think of an amount that might cover that, let alone getting stung there and being poked at after.

I bet it made for a funny help wanted ad looking for the test subject.

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: ObjectZero

"I wonder how much they paid the poor guy that had to get stung."

Some strange deviants would probably pay good cash monies for the opportunity.

edit on 24-5-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I wonder how much they are paying the testers. More examples of how our government doesnt know how to spend money.
edit on 24-5-2016 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

Here's the thing about science. We don't know how beneficial that knowledge will be unless we do the experiment. Even if the result seems obvious. Science works by testing it anyways. For all we know, bee stings to the penis could result in some new medical applications that could save countless lives. You never know unless you do the experiment and learn the pattern established by nature.

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   

I see your point, I just feel like there might be another more interesting study they are passing up for the bee sting study.

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

I can understand. Sometimes an experiment seems silly because the results are most likely obvious, but then again there are tons of scientists out there trying to perform studies, and there are also tons of scientists being declined for funding too. It's not like every study that graces these departments' desks gets approved. Maybe the people who did this study put forward a very compelling case as to why this test should be carried out and the benefits it could reap.

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: peter_kandra

Exactly how does one get a bee sting in the penis? Doing a little skinny dipping? That hurts just thinking about it.
I wonder how much of this is use it or lose it funding prior to the end of the fiscal year, so they dust off some old grant proposals from the shelf and fund them.

I have an uncle whom set down on a portipoti that had a wasp nest right under the seat. I'll just say that He wasn't happy with the results after His peter doubled in size.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join