It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thread crapping

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: visitedbythem

I like ATS better when we are discussing Aliens, Science, and top secret stuff. The politics is getting old.

Me too.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Luv Yuh Gurl!

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 10:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlaskanDad
a reply to: introvert

Thread crapping is a single user amassing posts to derail interest in a thread, it is a common tool of trolling.

I understand the technique, but personally I refuse to use it, as it detracts from the sites traffic and causes their storing more dead threads.

From what I've seen, "thread crapping" happens often, but either the Original Thread Starter, or other active participants always steer it back in the right direction. If they don't, it usually indicates that members' interest in that topic has waned. I've seen occasions when a crap post resurrects an old thread, giving it new life amongst the current crop of ATSers.

I'm not an active-thread crapper, but I often get ribbed for resurrecting a 3 or 4 year old thread to add a new development, or something similar. Seeing new threads for every aspect of a single subject (i.e. the Transgender stuff) is annoying (to me).

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 11:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

originally posted by: riley
The term "antivaxxer" is a SLUR.

I'd say calling words 'slurs' is an attempt to throttle free speech. LOL

So abusing people is free speech? It is also against T&C but it seems you don't care about that.

It is a slur.. you know that very well which is EXACTLY why you use it as it is known abusive term. You also seem proud of using it.

edit on 22-5-2016 by riley because: typos

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Thread crapping is a single user amassing posts to derail interest in a thread, it is a common tool of trolling.

I understand the technique, but personally I refuse to use it, as it detracts from the sites traffic and causes their storing more dead threads.
i have a troll following me around in all my threads doing this... they also use personal attacks and insults, and quickly edit them out when the person responds negativly to the attack. They are flooding out all of the importand info with senzless petty arguing over and over and over.

I wish mods had the power to see what each edit says as well.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 12:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

You've got a hard-headed opinion on the issues of the day. I would never ask you to stop for the reasons apparent in the OP.

That said, I know exactly what AlaskanDad is talking about. I am a much more avid reader of this site ... than a poster. I sometimes drop a thread when a slew of posts/replies from a single user ... or pair ... become too distracting.

-Cheers

... and a flag for the thread.
me too, even some of my own threads.. it is unfair the amount they sometimes get away with!

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 12:09 AM
link   

a reply to: Kandinsky

One last post to be sure I have been clear on what I meant to suggest; the adding of a few lines of code to limit either the number of posts in a row or the number per page, could be quite beneficial to the user experience here at ATS.

Some auto mod features could be quite helpful!

i agree, not limiting the op though with replies? That could be helpful in identifying delibsrate colaberations as well maybe?

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 12:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky
a reply to: AlaskanDad

We understand what you're asking and we don't think it would work. People have political beliefs and it's okay if they want to post them.

Automatically throttling conversations isn't what ATS is about.

That doesn't mean I don't share your frustration. We've all had those moments of irritation, but it's ebb and flow. It's the same as being in the bar with friends and having to accept that conversations are organic and not steered by a chairperson.
what about putting back the block button for if we are feeling stalked or harrassed? Then we wouldnt have to see them repeat the same thing 500 times?

As i respond 4 posts in a row... sorry i am on my phone or i would have edited it all into one long post! Lol

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 12:13 AM
link   
a reply to: AlaskanDad
Don't worry. I'll bring toilet paper and a bag to put the mess in. Wait, that's not what you mean. Sorry.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Is this the all night crap-party?

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: riley

So is "Big Pharma." What's your point?

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Now that ATS has disabled the search engine, most of the better posts are invisible unless you are logged on and see them posted in real time.

Hard to believe they would have sold out without a fight, there must have been considerable legal pressure put on the owners.

Given the current situation the site will likely devolve into just another forum for people that like posting and reading their own Sh*t.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I somewhat know what you mean. I see certain members posting eight times in a row and it just saps my will to respond. I usually just drop the thread.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: hidingthistime

I wish mods had the power to see what each edit says as well.

If it's anything like any of the other forums I am or have been a moderator on, they do.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001
a reply to: riley

So is "Big Pharma." What's your point?

Big Pharma is not person it is a TRILLION dollar industry not obligated to follow T&C guidelines.

..or any other guidelines for that matter.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

One last post to be sure I have been clear on what I meant to suggest; the adding of a few lines of code to limit either the number of posts in a row or the number per page, could be quite beneficial to the user experience here at ATS.

I don't think that would be a good change.

Something that has happened to me: sometimes, in a thread with a heated discussion, several people post their opinion, but as those people live in the US they do it at a time I am sleeping, as I live in Europe, so when I come back to the thread I see several posts that I want/need to answer. A system like the one you propose could prevent me from answering all the posts I should answer.

Some auto mod features could be quite helpful!

As a programmer, I don't like automated features, specially when reacting to human actions.

How many posts per page or in a row can a page handle, before it becomes disruptive?

It depends on the posts' content, and that's why it should be done by human moderators and not automatic.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Its one thing to have an opinion and state it. But when people attack a thread with all the typical labeling and name calling and baiting, then bang on and on about one insignificant point they find fault in, that gets old very fast. And it seems to be the same people all the time.

The mistake I have made in the past is to not see the whole discussion and wrongly assumed someone was a troll or de-railer. After seeing the bigger picture I realized that it usually is the same people, but each to their own set of hot button topics they respond to. As soon as you see a thread that mentions the lgbt topics you already know who is posting and what they are saying, and who they are saying it about. When you see a thread about dems or repubs, you know before you even click who is on what side and who will be attacking who. You know you will see the same labels and name calling from the same people, and you know you will see the ones who phrase their insults as cleverly as they can then adopt some kind of "I am above it all" attitude when they are just as dirty as the anyone else.

We all have issues that push our buttons. I don't think you can be a sentient being in this day and age and not have some strong opinions about something...anything. This is a polarizing world and vanilla just doesn't cut it most of the time. But the senseless attacking and name calling and trolling, obviously with the purpose of de-railing a thread, is just lame.

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 12:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

There's a few people I just ignore. Probably another one I will be soon, too. I don't have issues with people disagreeing with my opinion, but it's always the same tired bullsh*t, the same rehashed points that have been proven false time and time again.
I don't even need to read their posts to know what they're saying. In different words to be sure, but the same narrative time and time again. I sometimes feel like I'm one of the rare few willing to change my opinion on major topics. At first I was one of the people who thought gun control was a "duh, how can you be so stupid to deny it?" option, but now I'm (broadly, still more "liberal" on some parts of it) anti-gun control. (For America specifically, not my own country, or other countries.)

The LGBT topics are always going to be dry kindling waiting to catch. A lot of people are deeply affected by the stuff relating to it personally.

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Eilasvaleleyn

Yes, what bothers me is the repeat after repeat.... like literally 50 link that are an almost identicle article, or the same article linked on different sites etc.

Or the one guy keeps calling me delusional or saying I have dementia or memory problems, then edits it after I respond.
edit on 24-5-2016 by hidingthistime because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   

a reply to: ArMaP

Something that has happened to me: sometimes, in a thread with a heated discussion, several people post their opinion, but as those people live in the US they do it at a time I am sleeping, as I live in Europe, so when I come back to the thread I see several posts that I want/need to answer. A system like the one you propose could prevent me from answering all the posts I should answer.

Really?

a reply to: hidingthistime

Get a screenshot

a reply to: Eilasvaleleyn

Gun control confuses ma at times, hunting is a family tradition but guns are used to kill a lot of people.

a reply to: Skid Mark

User Skid Mark replying to a thread crapping post, I find that quite witty!

or we can throw in a quote:

a reply to: Skid Mark

Don't worry. I'll bring toilet paper and a bag to put the mess in. Wait, that's not what you mean. Sorry.

second edit:

As a programmer, I don't like automated features, specially when reacting to human actions.

Yet ATS and many site include profanity filters in their code, is that not a labor saving and site improvement automated feature to react to human actions?

It depends on the posts' content, and that's why it should be done by human moderators and not automatic.

With live mods there is always the chance of bias, this is not a claim that bias occurs here at ATS.
Another advantage to auto mod is it reacts as soon as the post comes in, not after a complaint is messaged to mods or.... when a mod comes across a problem.

Thanks for your reply!

edit on 24-5-2016 by AlaskanDad because: having fun!

edit on 24-5-2016 by AlaskanDad because: second edit

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Yet ATS and many site include profanity filters in their code, is that not a labor saving and site improvement automated feature to react to human actions?

It is labour saving, but it also prevents people from using some words that are not profanity, like the name of the Ethiopian runner Shi‍taye Gemechu.

With live mods there is always the chance of bias, this is not a claim that bias occurs here at ATS.

You can always make a complain if you think there was a biased decision or lack of decision, all mods see the complaints.

Another advantage to auto mod is it reacts as soon as the post comes in, not after a complaint is messaged to mods or.... when a mod comes across a problem.

To me, that's not a good enough reason to have something that can prevent people from posting what they want while following the site's Terms & Conditions of Use. To me, censorship of any kind is a serious thing that should not be left in the "hands" of software.

Thanks for your reply!

Your welcome.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join