It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Many parents give new mind-boggling report cards an F

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: In4ormant

originally posted by: Urantia1111
a reply to: xuenchen

Parents ought to be concerned with their child's education and performance in school.

To hear them bitching that it's not simply boiled down to easy-for-them-to-intellectually-digest A thru F letter grade system from 100 years ago isn't drawing much sympathy from me.

Test grades usually give a good indicator without needing to undergo report card training.

They do, but if you want more detail - - its nice to know you can read them.

Mine has an IEP - - so I'm used to a lot more details and descriptions. And I read every word.

I think I'll miss that when he ends his IEP (if he does).

People just hate change IMO.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Don't you have PTAs in the US anymore. If you do, get a few of you together and go and brow beat the teachers and get things changed for the better.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   

" Gayman Elementary School"

Man, how comes a school to a name like this? And how are it´s pupils bullied by pupils from every school around?

edit on 22 5 2016 by DerBeobachter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Urantia1111

Yes, but even the assessments of the standardized tests were put in bell curve format back when I was in school. You could look at them and see what percentile you were in for various parts and it gave you an idea of how you tested out.

If everyone is an M no matter how well they do and no one knows what it takes to do better or worse than that, then what is the point of sending out assessments? Seems to me that the parents are being cut out of the loop because they can't tell how their kids need to be helped in order to improve.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Seems to me that the parents are being cut out of the loop because they can't tell how their kids need to be helped in order to improve.

Email.

Every teacher I know today has an email parents and/or kids can communicate through.

Our schools also have online Portals where you can check on your kid every day if you want.

I still think its mostly people don't like change.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: CraftBuilder
Well, yes, that and the following video. Common Core is ridiculous.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
a reply to: CraftBuilder
Well, yes, that and the following video. Common Core is ridiculous.

We're jumping from report cards to Common Core now?

Pretty sure there's already multiple threads on Common Core.

edit on 22-5-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   
How many ways are there to say "a good student when not messing around, could do better if he/she applied him/her self"

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   

This sounds like the report cards they already use at my daughter's grade school. As parents who actually give a crap about our child's development in more areas than academic, we personally love them. Way better than what we got when we were kids.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Its funny my kids go to a private school in canada, they also have changed how they grade kids simmilar to what you guys are crying about, its one of the best schools in canada and north america, more salty tears and complaining by our official right wing ats snow flakes.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Penn State is already doing something similar AND it's optional... hmmm....

SA and US grading system.

Maybe we should get rid of any letter system all together and go with a percentage instead, all across the board.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: SomeDumbBroad

It's spreading like administrative wildfire !!!

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: In4ormant

We have like a 60% graduation rate. That's plenty.

Yes by all means let's keep things as simple as possible in all situations.

Especially concerning the future of our children.

Can't we just get a text that says "dumb"?

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   
It's going to be 1-9 in UK - no more GCSE A-G or lower down . Parents can complain all they want but the government want this in place - I think for September 2016.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   

It's a safe bet that this was done so failing students didn't feel as though they were somehow slighted. If most in the schools can't pass, a system such as this, which rates students compared to one another, instead of held to a set academic standard, would appease those that think it's wrong to fail students that can't handle the work.

Imagine, if this continues, how poorly businesses will be run, with no employees available that can actually handle anything.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
I saw the new report cards and thought they were retarded. I don't know why they had to change them. Then again, in a world where 2+2=5, I guess it makes sense.

Yep, indeed it is confusing and is meant to be as such.

originally posted by: xuenchen

originally posted by: CagliostroTheGreat
xuenchen

One step closer to the Dystopian Nightmare. Everyday I wake, and one step closer.

😟

1984 and Max Headroom combined !!

Yep, and I love the Max Headroom ref, not many will get that!!

originally posted by: seeker1963

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: seeker1963

I wonder how long it takes teachers to fill them out for each kid. That has to be a nightmare too.

I read the whole article being it is in my state this article mentions and it seems full of Orwellian double speak.
Have you notice in todays world it takes multiple pages to explain a simple concept, where back in the day a well constructed sentence was sufficient?

Yep, indeed the teachers will not be too keen on them either.

A friend of mine who is a teacher has a fantastic idea for report writing - three words only on the report card.

No bloody good.
(delete as appicable)

So you could describe a student as :
Good
No good
Bloody good etc

On the other side of the coin though, change happens everywhere, however don't ever let it happen in education!!
“If we always do what we've always done, then we'll always get what we've always gotten."

When it comes to education, it seems everyone is an expert - just because we have all been in a school does not mean that the way you were taught was best, but people assume that they have a PhD in School Criticism just because they went to one. Things change, including schools and education. I would be very disappointed if children were still taught the way I was when I was growing up - it was horrific.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   
So parents are getting a second education to be able to understand their children's report cards? Sounds efficient.

edit on 5/22/2016 by jappee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Indeedy, change is constant - except in the world of education, god forbid!

Let's all have our kids taught the traditional way!! Just like in Dickens' time!

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: 1984hasarrived

Indeedy, change is constant - except in the world of education, god forbid!

Let's all have our kids taught the traditional way!! Just like in Dickens' time!

Oh, I don't think so. No, No, No, not me

And I have a McGuffey Reader. Might as well just read the bible.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Meow! Get your claws in and take a deep breath. Have some catnip. Feel better?

Now then:
From the OP:

Looks like the centralizing of Common Core.

From the linked article:

Spurred on by national guidelines set out in the Common Core State Standards for English language arts and math, scores of districts across Pennsylvania and New Jersey have moved in recent years to ditch the old-school report cards that graded students competitively against their classmates, based on tests and quizzes. Replacing them: a puzzle of scores - numbers in some districts, letters in others - that judge the individual child's progress toward fixed goals, such as solving a particular math problem or completing a reading list. Read more at www.philly.com...

Next?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join