It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is YouTube just as bad for people as television?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I've heard people say that YouTube is just as bad for people as television. The basis for that argument is simple; YouTube is essentially television. So, we should expect it to have the same effects on people that television does.

I understand that point of view. However, I think many factors differentiate YouTube from television.

1. Content is not being affected by sponsors so YouTubers can be more forthright than most people on television.

2. It's much easier to communicate with content producers on YouTube so one can get clarification if necessary.

3. The content is usually shorter than a television show. I think that helps most people to concentrate better on what they're watching.

4. Presentations on YouTube are usually less sleek than a television show, so I would imagine that would help people to focus on the issues better.

5. People can find content that they want to know about most rather than having to accept whatever is on TV.

I almost always use YouTube like a radio. I find discussions that I'm interested in, and I play them in the background while doing other tasks. In that case, I don't see why YouTube would be considered to be any different than radio. And, my understanding is listening to talk radio tends to be good for people.

edit on 22-5-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

YouTube is no different than the rest of the internet.

I have learned to cook Korean food, Chinese food, Vietnamese food, Malaysian food etc etc.. without youtube I would have had to spend hundreds on cook books.

I learned how to grow my own mung bean sprouts.

Never went to school to learn about computers, yet with youtube I learned how to build my own gaming PC.

The internet in general has a wealth of knowledge and information for those who choose to educate themselves. Maybe the problem isn't so much YouTube, but the mentality of the general population to focus on nonsense?

edit on 22-5-2016 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Is YouTube just as bad for people as television?

On the contrary, TV is healthy, informative, entertaining and a great way to lose those few extra pounds you put on over xmas; Plus some of us make a living from TV

Please watch...
Breaking Bad
Better Call Saul
Longmier
Night Shift
Crash
In Plain Sight
Easy Money
Kid Nation
Manhattan
Terminator: Sarah Conner Cronicles
History Channel, Gunslingers, Black Blizzard
Stupid Reality TV shows

It would mean a lot to me....thanks, Look for the Gray haired, bearded older gentleman; much like the human version of my dog in my avvy.

www.sagaftra.org...
iatse.net...

edit on 22-5-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

No Walking Dead?

You are obviously a bot. No living being could overlook TWD.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I don't watch much television. I read most of the time. I do watch shows on youtube that I loved as a child, some podcasts, and documentaries. You pick something that interests you and you're on your way. The only difference I see is the diversity of shows and availability. Just like television some is bad, some is good. Like everything else, don't believe a word of it!

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bobaganoosh
a reply to: olaru12

No Walking Dead?

You are obviously a bot. No living being could overlook TWD.

Walking Dead is filmed in Georgia....Not here in Tamalewood.

greenfiretimes.com...

Plus all the Movies...Like this one.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 22-5-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Comments section means two way discussion, nonexistent with TV.

Shorter to the point subjects, not an hour of filler with ads.

Can search on my own for more complete information only hinted at or lied about in the main stream.

On TV I have to switch form one news channel to another that carries all the same story.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I also think YouTube is just like another TV channel.

Mainly cause it's just as good but in a more visual way then a simple Google search,,, that said there's just as much crap on it as every channel on every tv lol.

if you can't find something on Google then YouTube will have it/visa versa on a vid scale.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   

YouTube as a free service is NOT bad at all. It's what people upload sh*tty content what makes it bad.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   
At least I can click X and close ads on Youtube, whereas with TV, I have to watch that crap.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: mekhanics

YouTube as a free service is NOT bad at all. It's what people upload sh*tty content what makes it bad.

100% agree and i should have said in my earlier post.

YouTube is good for many things (nearly everything) and free, weather your watch stupid, funny or films it does have many good aspects about it. of course there's always a downside to every app or tv programme etc.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: mekhanics

100% agree and i should have said in my earlier post.

YouTube is good for many things (nearly everything) and free, weather your watch stupid, funny or films it does have many good aspects about it. of course there's always a downside to every app or tv programme etc.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   

I reckon in some ways watching YT is much worse than watching TV. People can double-down on watching things that support their beliefs and entirely avoid the opposing views. At least when TV is being informative, the producers make an attempt to have points and counterpoints.

Rather than that being a YT issue, it's a societal, human and educational problem. People like to have their ideas confirmed and only a minority have an education that enables them to cross-check sources.

For people who've been taught how to exercise judgement, I think YT beats TV as an educational platform. There's an audio/video encyclopaedia at the touch of a keyboard whereas we're all limited by the TV schedulers.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

YouTube is no different than the rest of the internet.

I have learned to cook Korean food, Chinese food, Vietnamese food, Malaysian food etc etc.. without youtube I would have had to spend hundreds on cook books.

I learned how to grow my own mung bean sprouts.

Never went to school to learn about computers, yet with youtube I learned how to build my own gaming PC.

The internet in general has a wealth of knowledge and information for those who choose to educate themselves. Maybe the problem isn't so much YouTube, but the mentality of the general population to focus on nonsense?

You tube has been an invaluable resource for many different things.

Auto mechanics, gunsmithing, computer hardware and software how-to's, and a whole host of other things.

@ OP
TV isn't bad for you. Spending all of your time in front of the TV or in front of a computer while the world passes you by is.
edit on 22 5 16 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   
the 100

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Sorry for the double post.

YouTube is really good and fast to upload vids quick (usually) lol.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   

There are a few things on tv I love to but the few good dramas they put on a getting fewer and fewer and the damn ads are getting more and more intrusive which I hate.

However I love watching YouTube because of the variety of things I can watch when I want to watch them, many of the things will never be on tv.

As Seeker said you can learn so much from YouTube its a wonder of this world in that way.

But its up to you on what you want to watch whether its basically trash or a gem - its your choice but at least its all there on YouTube. I don't see any harm to people watching it and am grateful to those who put things on it, especially the forbidden archaeology-type programmes.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Its about attention span and the ability to recieve then recall information.

FOr me, video is a terrible way to recieve information that I am meant to retain. I need to read about stuff, and then talk about it with someone for a moment. Or maybe just talk about it with myself internally. But i have to mentally play with information before ill be able to recall it. Video doesn't allow for that, without pausing. But then you lose flow and context.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Yes.

Walk throughs. Its nice to have for repairs, for crafts (i make fairy garden furniture for my wife), cooking....

That is a great use for YouTube.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I think now youtube has been around for a while we are starting to take it for granted, anyone who grew up pre youtube would look at you in disbelief back then if you said that they could learn to change a head gasket and cook beef Wellington in one morning without getting of the sofa.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join