It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forget Party Affilliation, Lets Discuss Specific Views

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Big girls need love too, they just need to redistribute more income to get it sometimes.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

But if nobody can sell for 5 days, how would an IPO be trading initially?

And what would prevent trigger trading on day 6?

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

Restrictions on selling shares would reduce speculation on holding equities directly but would be extremely difficult and expensive to enforce.

Given that most of the trading is computerized, it should not be difficult to monitor.

It would also do nothing to increase long term investment (as stock markets have very little to do with investment in companies) .

Once speculation ceases to be an option, gamblers would retreat from the field, leaving responsible investors to operate.

Have a star for actually understanding the issues.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

But if nobody can sell for 5 days, how would an IPO be trading initially?

The company could sell, but the traders would have their positions frozen for a week. Are you sure you are following this?

And what would prevent trigger trading on day 6?

Smaller investors would have time to re-evaluate the security. When the freeze ends, the price will probably have dropped, but the speculators would still need to meet the margin call, resulting in a loss. If the price still remained high, the 75% capital gains tax might make it completely unprofitable. Are you following me? (No, you're not.)

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   

It is the electronic nature that causes the he problem. The majority of equities are held in nominee accounts so ownership or trade dates can be easily blurred.
You are relying on honest brokers .................,....................... (Sorry had to stop typing due to laughing fit) or heavy and costly regulation. You would also have to cover all the non direct trading such as spread betting.

I get what you are trying to achieve but I think there are more substantial issues with the whole corporate culture in the US and UK and preminance of finance over actual industry that encourage short-termism rather than just the stock market.
edit on 22-5-2016 by ScepticScot because: Typo

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 07:13 PM
link   

So then the speculators buy daily in increments on day 6 and start manipulating day by day anyway after 5 days.

They would never buy initially on margin to begin with.

An IPO would flop if no trading was allowed for the first 5 days.

"Trading" takes sellers and buyers.

Can't have it both ways.

Try another example. There is ONE that might work, see if you can find it.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I knew you had no clue.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   

You are relying on honest brokers

I am relying on monitoring electronic trading.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Electronic trading does not (out with the brokers system's ) show who made the trade.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

Electronic trading does not (out with the brokers system's ) show who made the trade.

That can be corrected.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Who is Kate Smith? I despise pop culture. I refuse to google her & let the NSA think I care about pop stars.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 12:31 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I remember that thread actually. I have been a huge proponent of apathy since as long as I was old enough to understand such things. Why people give a crap what anyone else does, ever, makes no sense to me. I couldn't care less what anyone else does when I'm not in their presence. & even if they are in my presence I'm happy so long as they don't talk to me.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 12:37 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Oh we don't see eye to eye on a lot of things but per everything I've written to you already in this thread, I'd say we agree on one of the most important things. Even if it is in our own way. I'm a lot younger than you as well, & like I said earlier I'm an extremist, the status quo of modern society makes me sick. I despise everything about the birth school job family death cycle & would rather see complete & total change that fails than remain in this day to day live to work white collar hell.
I work in a restaurant & just got off a 45 hour week, I left before getting tipped out by the servers & made the comment of "I don't give a # about money, give it to the other food runner.", a sentiment I express regularly (along with being slaves to the almighty dollar) & was met with gasps & disdain.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 12:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Informer1958
a reply to: SmurfRider

Nice post S+F

I believe money has divided the world populations, those who have billions of dollars, believe they are superior over mankind.

Yes money, If you could take money out of the equation then all humans will be equal.

Money is power, the one's that have the most want control of mankind because money allows them to do so.

It is a sad shame that most billionaires are greedy and more is not enough.

Good and evil play a big role in who is controlling who, and I see a lot of evil here. Mankind has been forced to become slaves for thousands of years because of money.

We are taught this is the only system and nothing else will work for mankind. On the contrary we were taught wrong. there are now communities across the country thriving without the use of money.

No one is a slave and everyone is equal and it is working very well.

It is so true that money is the root of all evil in my opinion.

A brilliant post I can fully agree with. Full quote for effect.

Jesus warned against worshipping the golden cow aka money, & yet we have the Vatican, untaxed churches, & all the beautiful corruption that goes with it, which all ATS users are surely familiarized with.

In fact, I'm making an addendum to my stances, TAX THE FREAKING CHURCHES!

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 12:46 AM
link   

How are progressive tax rates going to help raise people's wages?

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 04:02 AM
link   
a reply to: SmurfRider

Improved take-home pay for low to medium earners by increasing personal allowances.
Not sure (and too tired to Google) of US terminology but in UK there is personal allowance of £10,600 before you pay income tax. (Increasing it to this level was one of the few decent policies of last UK government).
I would suggest doubling this so that you actually had to be earning a livable wage before paying income tax.
To bring up real lowest earners there would also need to be other polices such as increasing minimum wage or better yet a job guarantee scheme.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 05:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: SmurfRider
Who is Kate Smith? I despise pop culture.

If you despise pop culture why would you want to know?

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Was just hoping for a flyby explanation so I could get in on the joke )/:

top topics

<< 1   >>

join