It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Japanese Baby Has 6-Organ Transplant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 11:24 PM
link   
An eleven-month-old Japanese boy received a six organ transplant in Miami, Florida. The transplant took place in the US because child organ donations are illegal in Japan. The first two years after the surgery are critical, but there is a ninety percent survival rate for the first year. Doctors say this child is doing better than others who have had similar operations.

www.comcast.net
An 11-month-old Japanese boy smiled and laughed in his mother's arms Friday as doctors talked of his progress from a six-organ transplant, an operation done here because children's organ donations are banned in Japan.

Yosuke Ohashi underwent the 8 1/2-hour transplant of a liver, pancreas, stomach, small and large intestines and spleen on Dec. 24 at the University of Miami Jackson Memorial Medical Center.

"Finally we got the gift of God on Christmas Eve," said Yukiho Ohashi, the boy's father.

Tomoaki Kato, the University of Miami physician who led the transplant team, said the first two years after such an operation are the most difficult, but he added that there is a 90 percent survival rate for the first year.

"This child has done remarkably well compared to others," Kato said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I was unaware that anyone had ever had such extensive organ transplants before. It is hoped that this operation will encourage Japanese legislators to change the law. Organ donation is a simple, but profound gesture that can have long lasting social benefits.

Related News Links:
www.local10.com
www.theledger.com
news.scotsman.com
www.newsday.com

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Well have to tell you as a nurse at a major transplant center these kids suffer through a extreme amount of pain and suffering, never appear to have a normal life and these multiple transplants tend to die quickly after a a miserable life.

I would not subject my child to this type of experimental surgury at all.

That being said we also have performed this type of operation adn the kid did well for a time and then like most died. I hope nothing but the best for this family and thier little one, but experience tells me that they will not have a good ouitcome.

[edit on 1/15/05 by FredT]

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I hope the baby lives----Now let me say I'm so tired of Asians coming here and buying our organs. So many countries expect to benefit from our humanity but fail to practice it in their own land.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 09:32 AM
link   
You are tragicaly misinformed about the donation process. This child had to get in line and got the organs after listed patients in the area did not match.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Somethings are best left alone, when a child comes to this world with health problems lets said multiple problems, it means that the child is no mean to be in this world, if you have to replace so many organs is just like making the child all over again.

I wonder when a "miracle" of science is just "playing God".

I hope the child does well, but this is just to buy time to make the parents happy.

So sad.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I hope the child does well, but this is just to buy time to make the parents happy.

marg, its rare, but you and I are in agreement with this one. You often want to ask who are you really doing this for? them or you?

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I also have to say this is a little too bizarre, even for me. I know human instinct is to save the baby at all costs but the chances of it having a full and productive life are questionable. This is not in the babys interest. Still, you never know if this will be the miracle baby with the first successful organ transplantation. I really dont know what i would do in this case.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 10:00 AM
link   
No its been done. SOme kids will get out of the hospital only to die later from an infection or rejection. We did the same a while back and thats what got the kid. Forget the fact that the kid was in pain despite. Can't give alot of pain meds because if the blood pressure drops the organs don't get good perfusion. The kid had an open belly (Not sewed shut) to accomodate swelling and the like. No, Ive been there done that and would not put my child through it.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I still don't like Asians coming to the US for organ donations. I'd feel different if there was a drive under way to allow, even encourage organ donations in Japan. On the other hand, I don't approve of the convict, execute and organ harvest, in less than an hour, of China's criminal system, either.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
No its been done. SOme kids will get out of the hospital only to die later from an infection or rejection. No, Ive been there done that and would not put my child through it.

That is what I was thinking about the rejection is the main concern here, you have to wonder one transplant can be rejected can you imagine several at the same time, I think that even in the most humanitarian way I consider this a torture for a child this young.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
That is what I was thinking about the rejection is the main concern here, you have to wonder one transplant can be rejected can you imagine several at the same time, I think that even in the most humanitarian way I consider this a torture for a child this young.

The immunosupression regime is pretty much the same. But different organs will respond differently. There are alot of variables like how good the organs were going in, how sick the kid was etc. This is really uncharted territory and so they are still playing with it. But to give you a reference point, for JUST a liver small bowel, the best centers have 20-35 percent sucsess rate. Now mind you most centers term sucsess as being d/c home, if the kid crashes the next day that does not factor into it.

There are only 2 transplant I would subject my 2 year old to. Heart and living related kidney. Both have good sucsess rates. We have the TOP sx in the world for the LR kidney High 90 percent sucsess rate!

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I am an organ donor and so my children and husband we feel that others can benefit from us if we die.

But I will love to see my parts go to somebody that will do well with them.

Hart and kidney are the best right now, and I would not have any problem providing a kidney to my son or daughter if they will ever have the need.

new topics

top topics

join